The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Peace Dream

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Lovely Lady
    • Total Posts 160

if any of you are interested in French racing, not sure too many are on here, you might like to see this if you haven’t already done so.   Most impressive filly that won the other day :

<!– m –>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV2l5aZgLDs<!– m –><br>

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Thanks for that Lovely Lady. They didn’t really have a juvenile filly that looked too much above average last year so the path is very open for one to emerge in the coming months. You could argue she has the run of things to a certain extent but she did it well.

(Edited by davidjohnson at 5:11 pm on Mar. 30, 2007)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 36

Quote: from Lovely Lady on 5:45 pm on Mar. 30, 2007[br]if any of you are interested in French racing, not sure too many are on here, you might like to see this if you haven’t already done so.   Most impressive filly that won the other day :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV2l5aZgLDs

I am from France.I’m not upset when you say there might be not many people interested in French racing but  could you tell me why?

i know that we have several boring races where we see horses only quickening in the 2 last furlongs.

I know as well that the best place to commit suicide is a French racecourse because there are often more horses running on the track than people in the stands.And to rise from the dead, I have to go at Cheltenham or Epsom.

Why are you so in love with horse racing?<br>    I would like so much to see the same culture in France.

Bon Baisers de France

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

I like French racing Dan but mainly for the unique jumps courses at Enghien, Auteuil etc.  Really do like watching those during the winter and particularly looking forward to the Grand Steeplechase de Paris.

Lovely Lady
    • Total Posts 160

David, yes I agree and those behind I don’t think were very good but an exciting prospect as with one or two others I’ve noted below.

Dan,  some of us enjoy racing from all over the world and can enjoy the sport without gambling on it, but on most forums I think the interest is usually UK and Ireland and often from the betting angle, understandably.  Apart from the major French races I doubt that many get involved financially here and it’s not on the television that often on a day to day basis.    

From what little I see French racecourses do seem, as you suggest, to lack support and therefore have little atmosphere but I would like that personally as over here they are often too crowded and unruly, expensive and with quite dreadful catering unless you spend a fortune.

I hope you saw another nice Saddler’s Wells filly of K Abdulla’s called Concentric win at Longchamp on Thursday in a 2000m maiden. Wasn’t she impressive?  One to watch on soft.    Synopsis was another who impressed over 2400, so I shall keep my eye on those 2.  

You’re very partisan aren’t you, the French.   Nothing wrong in that.    On a French bloggers site I often visit, there is a vote for the top racehorse of last year,  9 are listed including Deep Impact, Hurricane Run, Ouija Board, Invasor etc.  and lo and behold, Pride has the most votes….lol !  well one of them was mine.

Where do you live in France if you don’t mind me asking ?  I’ve only been to Paris.<br>

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 36

Quote: from Lovely Lady on 12:30 pm on April 6, 2007[br]David, yes I agree and those behind I don’t think were very good but an exciting prospect as with one or two others I’ve noted below.

Dan,  some of us enjoy racing from all over the world and can enjoy the sport without gambling on it, but on most forums I think the interest is usually UK and Ireland and often from the betting angle, understandably.  Apart from the major French races I doubt that many get involved financially here and it’s not on the television that often on a day to day basis.    

From what little I see French racecourses do seem, as you suggest, to lack support and therefore have little atmosphere but I would like that personally as over here they are often too crowded and unruly, expensive and with quite dreadful catering unless you spend a fortune.

I hope you saw another nice Saddler’s Wells filly of K Abdulla’s called Concentric win at Longchamp on Thursday in a 2000m maiden. Wasn’t she impressive?  One to watch on soft.    Synopsis was another who impressed over 2400, so I shall keep my eye on those 2.  

You’re very partisan aren’t you, the French.   Nothing wrong in that.    On a French bloggers site I often visit, there is a vote for the top racehorse of last year,  9 are listed including Deep Impact, Hurricane Run, Ouija Board, Invasor etc.  and lo and behold, Pride has the most votes….lol !  well one of them was mine.

Where do you live in France if you don’t mind me asking ?  I’ve only been to Paris.<br>

Hello I am from Normandie.I work with harness horses ( an unknown sport in Great Britain, isn’t it ? maybe you have ever heard about Vincennes near Paris) but I’m very fond of flat and jump races.

When I was about 10 years old , I saw Arazi and Zafonic winning prix Morny in Deauville.

We must congratulate English sportsmen because you are always a great number to go in Longchamp for Arc de Triomphe.Thanks to you , there is a great atmosphere.

You’re right .French people are chauvinistic.We are really pride when a French horse win a group1 against the English but we rarely win this kind of race in your country.

Bon baisers de France

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Harness racing is class Dan – I only really follow the US stuff briefly and what there is of it here in the UK (most of the tracks are pretty basic facilities wise).  

Vincennes is apparently beautiful, I know Venusian is a keen follower of Jag De Bellouet so hopefully he’ll be around too :)

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Peace Dream is a filly with a lot of potential, and should stay 12f without too much trouble.

As for French horses finding it difficult to win Group 1s in the UK, when I first started to follow the sport well over 40 years ago they used to do it all the time.

Unfortunately, the rot set in when they exported too many of their best colts and stallions, and the ones they imported as replacements were, for the most part, disappointing.

Lovely Lady
    • Total Posts 160

hi Dan,

well thank you for telling us where you live,  a lot of English have bought houses in Normandie I think.  Do you enjoy racing at Deauville on a regular basis Dan, and do you work at a stable ?

I do not like harness racing, or trotting as it’s known.  I do not see the attraction in it.  The horses seem to get whipped a lot which puts me off.  Is this true or my imagination?  Are there regulations regarding use of the whip ?   Perhaps if I saw more of it I might get to like it, obviously I have not seen very much.   Trotting is  not unknown here as the Queen’s husband I think participates, or used to.    I know they have big races at Vincennes and I’ve seen the Prix d’Amerique once or twice on television a long time ago.

Can you tell us which horses you will be following this Spring with a view to Chantilly in June please, thank you.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Quote: from Lovely Lady on 3:58 pm on April 7, 2007[br]…the Queen’s husband I think participates, or used to….

No, he didn’t. He used to participate in carriage driving, a completely different sport,

As for Jag De Bellouet, yes I’m a great fan. Who wouldn’t be? His extraordinary tally of Group 1s, over all distances, monte as well as attele, together with his burgeoning stud career (Opus Viervil etc), make him, for me at any rate, the iconic racehorse of the 21st century, at least in this part of the world.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Have just seen US Ranger win the the Prix Djebel at Maisons Laffitte. Very impressive in pulling about 5 lengths clear of listed winner Prior Warning. If this horse comes over to Newmarket, he looks like the one Teofilo backers should fear. He isn;t actually entered for the 2000 though connections have made noises about supplementing him. He’s half owned by Michael Tabor.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Magic America looked to have a straightforward task in the Prix Imprudence and did it readily enough.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

DJ, what was the going like?

Lovely Lady
    • Total Posts 160

…the going was good [3.1].   You’re right of course about Prince Philip earlier, my apologies although it all looks the same to me…lol!

The way US Ranger quickened about a furlong out to go away from them I thought was breathtaking, and it looked a decent enough field and half a second faster than Magic America who I thought laboured her win, and just did enough for first time out.<br>Mr Rouget has 2 nice one’s with this and Peace Dream and wonder if he’ll go for the Longchamp double rather than Newmarket.

The French season is off to a flying start with  several group and interesting maiden events already having taken place.  We’ve had the Curragh and Leopardstown in Ireland with some decent fare, but what have we had in the UK ?   next to nothing, it’s absolutely diabolical, what a start to the flat season here you’d hardly know we were racing.  <br>

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 36

Quote: from Lovely Lady on 4:58 pm on April 7, 2007[br]hi Dan,

well thank you for telling us where you live,  a lot of English have bought houses in Normandie I think.  Do you enjoy racing at Deauville on a regular basis Dan, and do you work at a stable ?

I do not like harness racing, or trotting as it’s known.  I do not see the attraction in it.  The horses seem to get whipped a lot which puts me off.  Is this true or my imagination?  Are there regulations regarding use of the whip ?   Perhaps if I saw more of it I might get to like it, obviously I have not seen very much.   Trotting is  not unknown here as the Queen’s husband I think participates, or used to.    I know they have big races at Vincennes and I’ve seen the Prix d’Amerique once or twice on television a long time ago.

Can you tell us which horses you will be following this Spring with a view to Chantilly in June please, thank you.

<br>

Dear Lovely Lady,

I work in a stable I ‘ve won 10 races so far.1 in Vincennes. Another one in Carentan,near Saint mere Eglise a famous place during world war 2,with a great odd 252/1.You don’t dream.

Trotters are not whipped much more than thoroughbreds.But I must admit flat races are more esthetic. There are regulations .They are very strict in France you know.It’s the same with gallop races.Remember Seb Sanders with Confidential Lady in Prix de Diane.He used a lot his whip and he was repressed severly.In France ,jockeys must count the number of Whip they give in the last straight.

As for the horses to follow, your friends gave some excellent performers.

US Ranger is the best 3yold from JC Rouget on the mile.This trainer receives a lot of excellent yearlings since several years.

For the moment we havn’t seen many good colt or fillies from Chantilly.You can find many good trainers everywhere in France.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.