Paddy Power. Security terrible. Close your accounts.

Home Forums Horse Racing Paddy Power. Security terrible. Close your accounts.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Matron Matron 2 days, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1136

Some may recall that i mentioned how £400 was stolen out of my PP account a year ago. I still havent recovered this

However i set up another account and transferred the remaining £250. The security was intense and i used a non hackable email address and nrw passwords to ensure security

Its happened again…

Cards were attached to my account and cash withdrawn. Its incredible

They deny any security breach but get this…..

I received an email from the, on the 23rd Aug asking me to go through security with them because my account had been “compromised”

They sent the money out in the 20th Aug….

They are refusing to take responsibility even though they know the account was hacked and they failed their security

They even asked me to contact one of the banks that my money was sent to even though its not my account.How am i supposed to do that??? Perfect example that they have not the slighest clue what they are doing. The custonmer service is terrible

Anyone with a PP account must close it IMMEDIATELY. This should go viral too

Dahlia1973
    Participant
    • Total Posts 74

clive…..sorry if you’ve lost money over this. You say ‘Cards were attached to my account and cash withdrawn’——- Do you mean that the fraudster put his own card into your account and withdrew your money to his own card? Surely he/she would have needed your username and password to do this and these details should only be known by you.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1894

Clive,

Sorry to hear this happened to you. Do you know how the account was hacked in the first place? Was your computer infected with spyware or something like that, or are you suggesting that Paddy Power customer information has been leaked/compromised at their end?

Would suspect the former is more likely (not a dig at your personally but generally is what happens in these situations) but even so companies and banks usually work together to help victims get refunded. A friend of mine had money stolen (he thinks from one of those dodgy ATM cardreaders) and the thief spent £800 on furniture and frozen meat! The companies and his bank collaborated and he had his money back within 5 days.

Sad to hear Paddy Power aren’t like that. Not sure if he has been banned by Cormack or just doesn’t post any more but Simon Nott would be a good person to contribute here. He tweeted that he’d had money stolen from his online bookie account a few months ago, but understand he got his money back. He could have some good advice. He’s on FinalFurlong and Twitter if he doesn’t see this here.

help fight the decline of The Racing Forum - send personal message for details

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20746

They asked me to send documents to prove my age
    I told them I have had an account for 14 years so unless I was under 5 at the time I think I’m old enough

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1136

Thanks for the replies

I have no idea how this was carried out but the key is that the security to send money from my account was clearly not followed. Secondly I do suspect it’s internal

My email account was gmail which is impossible to hack and there are no other signs of attempts to do so.

It actually gets worse but I’ll update later

I do know that the previous time attempts were made to hack bet fair and coral and they stoppées them in their tracks easily

Which raises questions about pp again

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1136

Thanks lost soldier. I’ll follow up

Dahlia. They are supposed to take a lot of security before cards are attached. I will look at rules again but it’s not simple

As an aside, they let slip that numerous accounts have been hacked recently. I’m certain the fault is at their end

They are awful

Purwell
    Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 580

Final Furlong packed up a few years back and Simon was member there at one time.

Purwell
    Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 580

As regards the security issues, I don’t have a Paddy Power account any more, but this is making me wonder if it is a good idea to empty your account at the end of every day. The banks security is surely better than any of the Bookies?

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8536

I’ve had mine for at least 8 years now, I only play the horses, nevet bet in running or back horses to lose. Use it more like a betting shop placing bets in the morning and withdrawing any winnings at night and I only ever leave £20 in the account.
    It seems to be OK but will take on board everything said here and look out for your update clivexx.
    Sorry to hear what happened to your account. :rose: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    tbracing
    tbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1336

Can’t get a bet one anyway :wacko: haven’t taken a bet off me in years haha

droffats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Must say talking horses forum looks confusing to me and banks are no better. Had my accoun hacked for £2000 several years ago. Got it back in fairness eventually.
    Sadly most crime is on line these days you’ve been subjected to a crime sadly but PP should refund you

Matron
    Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5627

It seems that even “sim cards” are at risk:

https://thehackernews.com/2019/09/simjacker-mobile-hacking.html

Dahlia1973
    Participant
    • Total Posts 74

If you’re worried about your email addr and passwords being compromised, this site can check them out and from all I’ve read it’s a reputable site : https://haveibeenpwned.com/

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1136

Thanks Dahlia

Needless to say PP have not phoned back. They are looking as if they will not repsond in any way unless I take action. This is despite them admitting that a bank had queried one of the payments sent to them from my account

Ive also checked with my other online accounts (365, coral, bet fair, Sky) and no attempts have been made to hack these

The problem is most definitely internal at Paddy Power and im concerned now about wider data breaches and have refered to a data protection solicitor for initial advice

Dahlia1973
    Participant
    • Total Posts 74

clive — you can also try Ibas : http://www.ibas-uk.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.