The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Paddy Power NOT refunding ALL bets if Sprinter Sacre wins.

Home Forums Horse Racing Paddy Power NOT refunding ALL bets if Sprinter Sacre wins.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28471

I’ve been suckered in to a (imo) misleading "money back" offer from Paddy Power.

Paddy Power’s offer of refunding ALL losing bets if Sprinter Sacre wins the Arkle, does NOT mean they are going to refund ALL losing bets struck with that offer.

I’m very aware of ante-post rules. If my selection doesn’t take part I lose my money. But this was a "Money back if Sprinter Sacre wins" offer. Effectively a Backing Peddlers Cross with a saver bet on Sprinter Sacre (or so I thought).

I agree if Sprinter Sacre DOES NOT win I should lose my Peddlers Cross ante-post money.

But Paddy Power’s "terms and conditions" of the "Sprinter Sacre" concession mean they’ve effectively CANCELLED the offer if you’ve backed one that doesn’t take part.

They tell me I’ve already lost my money.

Value Is Everything
    Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

It does seem a slightly grey area but unless the terms were NRNB when you struck the bet, it seems they are within their rules.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28471

Didn’t expect it to be "NRNB" EF, just for them to keep to the "If Sprinter Sacre wins" part of the bet.

Had I had the bet on the internet feel sure I would’ve seen the conditions. But it was by telephone.

Oporator did say "ante-post rules apply" but…

With "day of race" bets you get your money back if it doesn’t run.
    This wasn’t a "day of race bet". So I knew that if

Sprinter Sacre didn’t win

and Peddlers Cross (or Al Ferof who I’ve also backed)

didn’t run I’d lose my money (as ANTE-POST rules dictate)

What I didn’t realise was they’d cancel the "IF SPRINTER SACRE WINS" part of the bet too.

I suppose I should have got the bloke to go through every eventuality before striking the bet. Instead of taking their discription of the bet to be the "truth".

Wouldn’t have had the bet had I known conditions, as I’d already got liabilities with Peddlers Cross.

Hope what happened to me is a cautionary tale for people not to take bookmaker (especially Paddy Power) offers at face value.

It’ll teach me.

Value Is Everything
    Kenh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 741

The T&C’s were clearly displayed on their site and I posted them on the Arkle thread. In fairness to PP it does clearly say your horse has to run.

Here are the conditions from their site.

Max refund: e100/£100 per customer.

Applies to bets placed on the Arkle Chase from 8am 28th February.

Applies to win (and win part of each way) single bets only placed before the start of the race.

The customer’s selection must run for the refund to apply

Does not apply to extra markets.

Does not apply to Tote bets

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28471

The T&C’s were clearly displayed on their site and I posted them on the Arkle thread. In fairness to PP it does clearly say your horse has to run.

Applies to win (and win part of each way) single bets only placed before the start of the race.

As I said Ken, I don’t use their "site", I heard about a "Money Back if Sprinter Sacre wins" offer and rang their Telephone line. I said "I believe you’re doing a money back if Sprinter Sacre Wins"? The person on the end of the line did not make me aware of ALL the catches.

Yes, I suppose it was up to me to think of all the possibilities and ask. But I was just going by what they told me. For any telephone customer I’d call it misleading.

Even had I seen your well intended message Ken, it would’ve been too late for me.

I’ll learn. :lol:

Value Is Everything
    jibsa
    • Total Posts 164

I’m in the same situation. Theres a post on the Peddlers Cross Swerves Arkle thread in Cheltenham section where a member has said he’s heard PP will still refund all Peddlers Cross bets placed when he was short during the money back offer if Sprinter Sacre wins?

Not PP’S fault there playing in the rules, I blame faint hearted trainers not giving out the facts and playing with ante post punters. I’m not backing ante post on any Festival again either flat of jumps. First time mug looking for value..never again.

Whats the crack with Grand Crus too? RSA ot Gold Cup!? Theres so many ways his decision can ruin another ante post…mine.

Grand Crus goes in the Gold Cup, Champion Court then steps up to the RSA as Keighley then thinks he can win that without GC Now he has Peddlers Cross in the Jewson because McCain doesnt fancy "Plan A" anymore.

Its a joke

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

I blame faint hearted trainers not giving out the facts and playing with ante post punters. I’m not backing ante post on any Festival again either flat of jumps. First time mug looking for value..never again.

Regarding the first part of your quote, I just can’t accept that this should be part of a trainer’s job. The second part offers the sensible solution if in doubt.

Unfortunate that you are a ‘first-timer’ playing ante-post though.

Mike

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

"RTFM" :cry: as they say Ginge. Tough lesson it’s true, but PP are hardly pulling a stroke.

Mike

kasparov
    • Total Posts 660

They are NRNB now so you can back anything you like. Does anyone know how much you can bet in a shop? e.g. If I put up £100 on Al Ferof will I get knocked back?

Kenh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 741

I’m in the same situation. Theres a post on the Peddlers Cross Swerves Arkle thread in Cheltenham section where a member has said he’s heard PP will still refund all Peddlers Cross bets placed when he was short during the money back offer if Sprinter Sacre wins?

Not PP’S fault there playing in the rules, I blame faint hearted trainers not giving out the facts and playing with ante post punters. I’m not backing ante post on any Festival again either flat of jumps. First time mug looking for value..never again.

Whats the crack with Grand Crus too? RSA ot Gold Cup!? Theres so many ways his decision can ruin another ante post…mine.

Grand Crus goes in the Gold Cup, Champion Court then steps up to the RSA as Keighley then thinks he can win that without GC Now he has Peddlers Cross in the Jewson because McCain doesnt fancy "Plan A" anymore.

Its a joke

Not a joke at all. The trainer has every right to hold off on any decision he makes regarding what race his horse runs in. When you place your bets you know the facts that McCain and Pipe had horses entered in more than one race and you take that into consideration when placing your bet.

Kenh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 741

As I said Ken, I don’t use their "site", I heard about a "Money Back if Sprinter Sacre wins" offer and rang their Telephone line. I said "I believe you’re doing a money back if Sprinter Sacre Wins"? The person on the end of the line did not make me aware of ALL the catches.

Yes, I suppose it was up to me to think of all the possibilities and ask. But I was just going by what they told me. For any telephone customer I’d call it misleading.

Even had I seen your well intended message Ken, it would’ve been too late for me.

I’ll learn. :lol:

In that case you would have a good case to have the bet voided or for them to still let you have the offer. They should be under an obligation to tell you the full terms when placing the bet. Have you asked them ? What did they say ?

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1987

Paddy Power – probably the best bookmaker in the world. :P

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28471

In that case you would have a good case to have the bet voided or for them to still let you have the offer. They should be under an obligation to tell you the full terms when placing the bet. Have you asked them ? What did they say ?

I’ve asked them Ken. They say ALL ante-post rules apply and that the Sprinter Sacre part doesn’t come in to it. If it doesn’t run the money is lost.

When I explained how I saw the "ante-post rules" (as in, I lose my money only IF Sprinter Sacre does NOT win)… He admitted it could be misinterpreted, but those were the rules.

Value Is Everything
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28471

They are NRNB now so you can back anything you like. Does anyone know how much you can bet in a shop? e.g. If I put up £100 on Al Ferof will I get knocked back?

You’ll probably be ok kasparov, but be VERY careful. Make sure the offer

has changed

since Ken’s wording… There is nothing about "non-runners" in Ken’s piece. Just "

". So they could argue those words over-rule NRNB. :?

You’d better ask to make sure.

Value Is Everything
    ricky lake
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2999

GT , unlucky by the sounds of this thread , one thing is certain , these bookie chaps don’t normally throw free money around

I hope somehow they get stuffed on this offer , as do all the other cringeworthy(imo) bookies who leech off punters on a daily basis …sadly I don’t expect my hopes to materialise any day soon ….

Ricky

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Ginge,

Paddy Power

offered this concession because ‘he’ thought like 99% of us Mug Punters (thats how Trainers view us all) that

Peddlers Cross

was a certain runner.PP’s sources had been ‘reliably’ informed that was the case.It was a fair and generous offer at the time.Unfortunately Donald ‘what i say and what i actually do’ bottled with a capital ‘B’ out of it at the last minute! Mark my words Donald ‘spineless’ McCain has lost a ton of credibility over this last minute decision to duck ‘Sprinter ‘i’m a talking horse too’ Sacre’ Lets hope the half fit horse gets beat and Donald learns from it! Ginger (not you mate) is turning in his grave at his sons poor consideration of the betting public who incidentally have lost just over £400,000 on this! The public loved Ginger and ‘Red Rum’! Why? because his trainer told it as it was!

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28471

Gord,
    We (as punters) have to realise connections have every right to change their minds where they want to run, at a moments notice. I just wish they’d be honest about reasons. ie Easier race to win.

Bit silly calling trainers names. Trainers shouldn’t give any "consideration" to the "betting public" as far as a horse’s target is concerned. Racing is not all about betting. However frustrating it may be for us.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.