The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

P Quinton Trainer – France

Home Forums Horse Racing P Quinton Trainer – France

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rich_ie
    • Total Posts 87

I was just looking at the Grade 3 Chase in Roscommon tomorrow and I see there’s a French 4yo in it called Cathodine Cayras trained by P Quinton. Does anyone know anything about the horse or trainer?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Was over in France with a mate of mine last week and saw the filly run. We were talking to the owner’s husband pre-race and the filly looks a very difficult ride.

The tactics in France seem to be to get a flyer and then hope to stay out in front, she jumped badly right handed at all her hurdles so Roscommon should suit her though she pulls hard too and I don’t think that’s the best way to ride her. They need to get her to settle though I can’t see them having been able to do that in the space of 11 days.

I wouldn’t worry about the trainer – he’s one of the top jumps trainers in France though the owner is British based (she had Kauto Stone until recently and also has Mail De Bievre who debuted at Exeter and is now one of France’s top chasers).

Martin

rich_ie
    • Total Posts 87

Thanks for the info Martin, it’s always helpful to hear from someone who has actually seen the horse run.

Front runners often do well at Roscommon, despite the uphill finish, it’s no Towcester but nowhere near as flat as the tv pictures make out. The Chase track is on the outside but isn’t usually railed on the inside of the fences so I’d be worried about her losing a lot of ground if she jumps right. Looking at her form she should be fine on the ground, it’s described as soft and we had lots of rain today (I’m about 20 miles from the track). It looks a cracking race for the track though, some pretty good novices in it.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

I’m not sure how soft it was the day she ran at Enghien – it was the second hottest days racing I’ve been to IMO (after the Grand Steeplechase of 2009) and I came back with sunburn.

The main doubt for me is the easy lead aspect of the race – Foildubh has front run on his last two starts and there’s always the possibility that they’ll try something different in Ireland, different race conditions, different jockey etc. but she’s more than entitled to take her chance in this.

Martin

rich_ie
    • Total Posts 87

Oh dear, I’ll keep that in mind too. The Racing Post has almost all her races on Very Soft or Heavy.

I don’t think she’ll get an easy lead with Foildubh and Spill The Beans in it.

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6940

I wouldn’t worry about the trainer – he’s one of the top jumps trainers in France

I presume that’s the same Patrice Quinton who trained Royal Fou to land the Grand Steeplechase Des Flandres, Martin? He does seem a (still) young-ish trainer going places on the admittedly limited evidence of what I’ve seen.

How decent a feat was him getting a winning chase debut rising nine out of Pharly De Kerser at Enghien the other day, beyond it being a comparatively late time of life for a French jumper to be switching to fences? Is he particularly noted for keeping horses sweet, sound and in form for more seasons than many of his contemporaries? Genuinely curious. Ta!

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

That would be the man Jeremy :)

I was actually there that day – there are far more horses switching between fences and hurdles in France than there are here in the UK though it would be quite rare for a horse to debut over fences at that age though he was entitled to win as he was the highest rated of those running over hurdles (was coupled that day with the third, stablemate Saphina De Kerser who was coming back off a long lay-off).

I don’t think he’s that old though he’s had plenty of success at the major Paris tracks and winning the Grand Steeplechase with Polar Rochelais hasn’t hindered his career, the support of Ecurie Des Dunes has helped him too.

Not sure if he’d be known for keeping horses on the go for a long time, it’s something of a myth that French horses stop running aged 5 or 6 – they just have to run in different races (assuming they aren’t top class) and there’ll be regular jumps runners aged 9 or 10 at most meetings – though most will have taken a drop in grade.

Maritn

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.