The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Outlaw Tom – Borders National today

Home Forums Archive Topics TRF Group – Outlaw Tom & The Village Outlaw Tom – Borders National today

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9002

Outlaw Tom, co-owned by 6 of us TRF’ers, runs today in the Borders National at Kelso (2.30).

Lucinda Russell reports him in great heart at home, distance and trip should suit so here’s hoping for a good run round.

Best of luck to Campbell Gillies and Tom.

Go on the Outlaw!!

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1305

Best of luck today.
    Hope he comes back safe and sound

peter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1509

Placed a small e/w wager on him for good luck :wink:

Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1626

Well… he finished, which is more than can be said for a horse who finished 2nd in a Scottish and Irish National :)

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9002

Jockey said he just struggled to go the pace and he couldn’t quite get to the leading group once they kicked on. I thought it was all happening a bit quick for him and there were some decent, street-wise handicappers in there today.

Lucinda Russell wasn’t sure that the track had suited and the plan is (loosely) to go back in grade and back to somewhere like Hexham or Carlisle after a reasonable break. All to be confirmed once the dust has settled.

He made a couple of errors today (a reasonably significant one at the first open ditch on the last circuit) and still learning over jumps I think.

Still, it was great to be in there pitching in a decent race like that and you never won a race standing in a stable.

Good to meet up with some of the other members of the syndicate, particularly fellow TRF’er Venture To Cognac who’d made a reasonably long trip to get there – hope you had a good day VTC.

Steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5766

Jockey said he just struggled to go the pace and he couldn’t quite get to the leading group once they kicked on. I thought it was all happening a bit quick for him and there were some decent, street-wise handicappers in there today.

Lucinda Russell wasn’t sure that the track had suited and the plan is (loosely) to go back in grade and back to somewhere like Hexham or Carlisle after a reasonable break. All to be confirmed once the dust has settled.

He made a couple of errors today (a reasonably significant one at the first open ditch on the last circuit) and still learning over jumps I think.

Still, it was great to be in there pitching in a decent race like that and you never won a race standing in a stable.

Good to meet up with some of the other members of the syndicate, particularly fellow TRF’er Venture To Cognac who’d made a reasonably long trip to get there – hope you had a good day VTC.

Corm, if it’s ‘all happening a bit quick’ for any horse over 4 miles at Kelso on soft ground, you’ve got worries! :)

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9002

Ha – yes, indeed SC. What I meant was that it was probably just a bit of a jump in class for him. Some good hardened handicappers in there and they were just a bit too good for him really. He may well be better with bigger weights in his own grade than taking on these fellows off a light weight.

Paul Brierley (who runs the syndicate) reports the horse was in good form after the race so he got round safe, sound and well. Always another day.

Steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5766

Ha – yes, indeed SC. What I meant was that it was probably just a bit of a jump in class for him. Some good hardened handicappers in there and they were just a bit too good for him really. He may well be better with bigger weights in his own grade than taking on these fellows off a light weight.

Paul Brierley (who runs the syndicate) reports the horse was in good form after the race so he got round safe, sound and well. Always another day.

Good to hear he’s back safe and well. Just gently pulling your leg . . . we are all the same in racing, eternally optimistic!

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9002

A wee pic of the gorgeous Tom taken today at Kelso (sorry about those brown cheekpieces – he likes them – a bit like a man in love with ungainly sideburns).

Handsome devil.

Photo courtesy Dennis Penny. Offical TRF / Outlaw Tom photographer!

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz321/cormack15a/Outlaw04-12-11.jpg

Venture to Cognac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 13957

Good day out Corm, not too disheartened, main thing was he came back safe and sound.

Would have been a better day if Seedless and Skippers Brig had gone one better :?

Mr. Pilsen
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1684

A wee pic of the gorgeous Tom taken today at Kelso (sorry about those brown cheekpieces – he likes them – a bit like a man in love with ungainly sideburns).

Handsome devil.

Photo courtesy Dennis Penny. Offical TRF / Outlaw Tom photographer!

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz321/cormack15a/Outlaw04-12-11.jpg

Great photo.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9002

It is MR P, agreed – Dennis is a very talented photographer.

http://www.pennypictures.co.uk

Some fantastic pics on there.

Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1626

Those pictures taken of the incident during claiming hurdle at Perth last year are incredible!

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9002

(btw – I was being light-hearted when I said Dennis was official TRF photographer. Dennis has no association with us, beyond meeting up when Tom runs and us being a great admirer of his photography)

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1305

Pleased to hear he has come back well.
    Bonny head on him. If he prefers the cheekpieces then so be it.
    Good luck to him, and you guys, for the future.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.