The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

O’Brien youngsters?

Home Forums Horse Racing O’Brien youngsters?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7856

I’ve just been pondering where all the O’Brien horses come from. Given that they are all by Coolmore stallions, do they have an option to purchase when a mare goes to one of them, are they all home bred or do they make offers on what seem to be the best foals? I really have no idea.

albrookes
    • Total Posts 206

I’d imagine all 3, moehat. With the purchasing of Coolmore-sired yearlings the most common.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4294

I never quite understood the relationship between Robert Sangster and Coolmore. Was he originally involved and then shifted aside? He certainly had quite a few broodmares at Swettenham Stud. Would some of these have been the foundation mares of Coolmore???

Given that Coolmore are heavy on Sadler’s Wells stallions they must have a never-ending demand to buy outcross mares each year?

edit: it may be that Sangster never had an involvement with Coolmore, it is geography that makes me feel he did, with his horses at Ballydoyle, and his horses in Australia, like Coolmore.

FairyBridge
    • Total Posts 59

I was going to post a link to a page on Coolmore’s own website where they gave you the history of the stud but they seem to be changing their pages, so the page I wanted is no longer there. Puzzle.

Anyway, this should answer part of the query.

Sangster was a partner early on and then sold out. He bred Sadler’s Wells who ran in his colours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolmore_Stud

The large stallion owners such as Darley and Coolmore check on the foals of each mare who use one of their sires and rate them before they would ever go for sale. It gives them the opportunity to see how their sires are doing possibly before the public do and to buy privately if they want to.

Coolmore are active at the sales, but also, like anyone in racing, have their connections who they keep an eye on, such as the breeders of Yeats, Barronstown Stud.

Jane
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

Gerald – the link below is to an excellent book about Robert Sangster, how he got involved in breeding and how he and Vincent O’Brien started buying sons of Northern Dancer to form the basis of Coolmore.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Horsetrader-Robert-Sangster-Sport-Kings/dp/0006381057

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4294

Slightly shocked to find out that your grandson Turtle Island is now a National Hunt stallion.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4294

I had a friend in London who attended Robert Sangster’s memorial service at St Paul’s Cathedral a couple of years ago. Because he was from Barbados, people assumed he was a friend of Sangster’s. :lol:

smallbutmighty
    Participant
    • Total Posts 64

I recommend the book that Jane mentioned, i came across it some years ago and found it really interesting.

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5472

I have a related question:

How and when is it decided whose silks a horse will wear? ie. Tabor’s/Smith’s/Magnier’s?

Any answers much appreciated :)

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4294

Okay, I’ve just bought it, but me buying a book and reading a book are two different things.

musicfan1ie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10

I’ve just been pondering where all the O’Brien horses come from. Given that they are all by Coolmore stallions, do they have an option to purchase when a mare goes to one of them, are they all home bred or do they make offers on what seem to be the best foals? I really have no idea.

I don’t think they have an option on their horses. they charge a fee for foal of stallion rates on their website. Then, they bid for them if sold at a later date.

In the last 5-10 years, they have started investing more into their own mares /fillies. They certainly seem to produce more good ones now for the racecourse than they did a while back.

I guess it gives them rights over well bred colts / fillies if they produce them themselves with their own mares

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.