The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Novice Chasers 2016

Home Forums Archive Topics Trends, Research And Notebooks Novice Chasers 2016

Tagged: 

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 14971

Yeah, his jumping has been superb Stilvi, and we’ll probably know more after Christmas at Leapordstown. I’d probably share your concern about him getting taken on over 2 miles by the big boys, but I’ve had a good go on him for The Arkle anyway. Also bet him for The JLT.

Funny you should say that about Onenightinvienna, both he and the horse that beat him, Blaklion, went into my notebook for this seasons Scottish National.

• Total Posts 14971

Decent debut over fences from Kilultagh Vic at Fairyhouse this morning. Nice round of jumping which was the most important thing. Still none the wiser from my original post, as to where he’ll end up, but he looks to have a decent season ahead of him.

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

Not on myself as I leave this race until nrnb.
    But a considerable amount of money has come for pont alexandre for the 4 miler today both on the books and the exchanges.
    Willie also mentioned rois des francs as a possibility for the race too today.

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

VTC
    I’D have kilultagh vic as willies number 1 hope for the rsa Imo. form franked by thistle crack today over hurdles. And the way he used shaneshill as a lead horse at punchestown he looked a true stayer.
    Paddies cut him into 10/1 for the rsa and that’s a good a guide as any Imo.

• Total Posts 14971

I’m amazed he hasn’t been discussed more Rocky, and I thought he’d have been really popular in The Ten To Follow, but nobody went for him. He was one of 3 horses I deliberately left out as I was hoping to have decent bets on, but I ended up missing the prices on him anyway.

He’s a cert to go in my annual, ill advised Mug 31’s :good:

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

I think the reason he’s maybe not been so popular is that he’s never been the mullins 1st string, kind of in the same way NC wasn’t and his form was also under valued.
    Kilultagh vic on breeding is very likely to improve for fences and already looks a better 2 mile chaser than hurdler.
    Despite old vic his sire producing countless graded chase winners over 3 miles, kilultagh vic is the first horse by old vic to win a 3 mile race over hurdles which I thought was a pretty interesting fact

Pontisback
    Participant
    • Total Posts 74

I for one really hope Pont Alexandre doesn’t end up in the 4 miler, obviously speaking through my pocket. I do however believe he would have the beating of kilultagh vic in RSA due to a superior turn of foot as well as stamina. Admittedly I haven’t seen kilultagh vic’s chase debut today, I do though think Thistlecrack has improved hugely since Punchestown. Plus if he hadn’t made a couple of jumping errors may well have beaten kilultagh vic. So perhaps too much has been made of that race result.

Either way I think Pont Alexandre is in with a great shout at whichever race he turns up in at the festival.

Back onto Kilultagh Vic, I would have thought the JLD may suit him best this year.

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

kilultagh vic gave the fences plenty of respect today and Imo but for the jump at the last at punchestown he’d have beaten Thistlecrack more convincingly. He easily out stayed no more heroes and shaneshill behind. I just see him as an out and out rsa horse and would be very disappointed if he ran in the jlt. Paddies cut him to 10s for the rsa today and after what ruby and willie said he’s the rsa horse along side black hercules; outlander and poss abre de vies for me. If pont makes it to festival and he should I’d think there’s every chance he could run in the rsa. But the money says there’s a fair chance its the 4 miler.
    All a game of opinions though.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Good luck to Ttebbob. For me the race of the day, possibly the season. Lot of pressure on Power and I doubt very much whether he will be able to get much of a breather in. A track like Navan might have suited better but there will be plenty of worse 4/1 shots today.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

A small field but a cracker of a race as you say Stilvi. Sizing John has looked a super jumper and Ttebbob could bring the best out of him, have backed in the betting without market at 13/8. It could come down to what horse’s jumping holds up the best and the others have more experience than Douvan in that regard so I’m considering backing in the with Douvan market as well at 6/1 – there won’t be any hiding place today. Good look with Ttebbob.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Well that’s the Arkle done and dusted.

My original thought was that Ttebbob shouldn’t have been going down this route but given the small field and testing conditions I managed to persuade myself he had a sporting chance. In effect he was beaten running to the first. I have always had Power down as second division and once he was taken on he appeared to panic and consequently the horse bungled several of the early fences. From that point he was just nursed around and quickly waved a white flag. He isn’t going to be going anywhere near the Arkle and even if they did up him in trip it remains to seen how much of a horse they have got left. Everyone can now see what might happen if he is taken on.

• Total Posts 14971

My thoughts as well Stilvi.

Was gutted to see him drop out so quickly yesterday at Leapordstown. He stopped very quickly, and I just hope he’s ok. Being realistic, he really had no right to be taking on the likes of Douvan, but if I’m being honest, based on what I had seen, I expected him to give Douvan a race for a while, but it was clear from early doors, that he wouldn’t be up to it. I’m just wondering if we’ll see him back over hurdles after this.

• Total Posts 14971

Really decent performance again today from No More Heroes, and he’s got to be RSA bound after that. I suppose Gigginstown still have a bit of juggling to do, but he still looks their #1 to me.

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

“I’m really looking forward to running L’Ami Serge over fences for the first time on Sunday at Plumpton 1.10pm, and we’ve just got to start somewhere. I’ve found it difficult to find the right race to start him in – and it’s the same for several of my top novice hurdlers from last season, there’s a real dearth of opportunity for novice chasers – it’s dire really. He is definitely an Arkle horse, and I would have no worries about the ground for him.”
    iv got big expectations for lami serge over fences.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

There are one or two beginners and novice chases on every Irish card. Why do British trainers hardly ever send a horse over for a suitable race here. Only one British horse ran in the leopardstown festival as far as I know

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

Shaneshill impressed me a lot there, has certainly come on for the run and powered away despite making a novice mistake.
    I’m sure he will get plenty more schooling over fences and looks the jlt winner for me.

One thing we learned for sure, is that kitten rock won’t be winning a graded novice race at cheltenham

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

I was actually a bit disappointed with shaneshills jumping but when he made a mistake he responded well in fairness

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.