The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nothing Gained 7

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays Nothing Gained 7

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 180 total)
  • Author
    Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17608

Jersey Stakes
    Monarch of Egypt, Ropey Guest
    Britannia
    Overwrite, Khaloosy
    2 x 50p Reverse Exactas

+£0.80

• Total Posts 17608

What a difference a day makes, after yesterday’s washout, everything went right today.

Tritonic was a smaller bet, but it was still money back, while Monarch of Egypt was bigger, and made few quid profit to top it off.

It was Ropey Guest though who made my day, and possibly the week. 66’s and 33’s, and despite threatening, he never met my lay, and I pocketed the lot. He was a big bet, and I’m chuffed to bits with him.

Overwrite was the icing on the cake, I did lay him off in running, but he was still a decent sized bet at the 40’s, and he topped off a big day, my best at Royal Ascot for a while.

• Total Posts 17608

Day 4

Not as much happening tomorrow, but in The Hardwicke, I couldn’t desert Defoe. I was surprised to see him open as big as 8’s, and though his last run was really disappointing, he’s the type who can put something like that behind him, and I’m hopeful.

In the last, The Duke of Edinburgh, the two obvious ones for me are Protected Guest, and my old pal Dolphin Vista.

Protected Guest is a bit of a monkey at times, but I’m convinced he’s got a bit up his cuff. It was just the manner of his win at Yarmouth that convinced me. I’m happy to draw a line through his last run at Newmarket, and for a horse his price, I’m hopeful of a big run. Problem is the ground. The recent rain won’t help his chances, and it wouldn’t be a complete surprise to see him withdrawn, but I’m hoping to see him.

Dolphin Vista is even harder to make a case for, but he’s a proper favourite, and I feel I can make a case for him.

Yes, he was pretty poor last season, particularly here, but he’s 10lbs lower now, and having moved to Jim Boyles yard, it’s another opportunity for him to prove that he can thrive for a change of scenery. Draw could be kinder, but he’ll love the ground, and I can’t not bet him at a price like that.

So I’ve got a “Notebook” horse, and a proper old favourite in the one race, and that should be enough, but unfortunately for me, there’s another one really catching my eye.

I’ll be going max places on Dolphin Vista and Protected Guest.

Defoe 8’s
    Dolphin Vista 66’s
    Protected Guest 66’s

Hardwicke
    Defoe, Communique
    50p Reverse Exacta

-£0.20

• Total Posts 17608

Duke of Edinburgh
    Protected Guest, Dolphin Vista
    £1 Reverse Exacta

-£2.20

• Total Posts 17608

Another blank yesterday.

Defoe was ok, but not good enough in the end, while the fact that Dolphin Vista was able to be backed at 390’s before the off, told its own story. Only an idiot would top up that price. I’m smarter than than that. I topped up at 330’s. He looks a shadow of his former self, but he owes me nothing. I’ll continue to bet him every time he runs, as long as the odds are decent.

Protected Guest was frustrating. I really thought he was going to get there, but just couldn’t follow through, and just as his price was plummeting too. I really thought I was going to get my lay in, but not to be. He was a decent bet, and I’d have liked that stake back.

• Total Posts 17608

Day 5

Been a great week, I really can’t complain, and I’d love to finish off the week on a high.

In The Silver Wokingham, I’ll be topping up my 33’s Antepost on Chiefofchiefs, and the 50’s I took tonight. The way the market is going, I should get bigger again, which is ominous in itself. I feel as if I know my fate before the off, but I can’t desert him.

Top jock, ran well here last season, will like the ground, ok draw, and on a nice mark. I’ll top up max places.

In the big one, The Wokingham, I’ve went with Gulliver at 16’s as the main bet, and Recon Mission as backup. I’m strangely confident about Gulliver, and threw a few quid his way. I’ll hopefully be able to lay off.

In The Queen Mary I’ve went with Grammata. Nice debut, should progress, and Oisin Murphy booked, while I thought Talbot was worth chancing in The Coventry.

The Queen Alexandra is not a vintage renewal, but Nate The Great was too big at 6’s, and old Its’afreebee is interesting, to me anyway, at 33’s. No doubt a prep for him for something else.

Chiefofchiefs 50’s
    Grammata 33’s EW 4 Places
    Talbot
    Gulliver 16’s
    Recon Mission 33’s EW 6 Places
    Nate The Great 6’s
    Its’afreebee

Silver Wokingham
    Chiefofchiefs, Nahaar

Wokingham
    Gulliver, Recon Mission

Queen Alexandra
    Nate The Great, Its’afreebee

3 x 50p Reverse Exactas

-£5.20

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22219

BOOM….!!!!
    Chiefofchiefs….. :yahoo:
    Fooking brilliant

Member since March 2008
    greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3071

Chicken dinner tonight then?

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22219

chicken nuggets and beans for me

Member since March 2008
    botchy1botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3666

Big congrats V. Think he owed you that one :good:

• Total Posts 17608

Thanks guys, that was a proper big one today, a real scream the house down job.

Grass, it sure was, I ate well tonight lol.

• Total Posts 17608

Good day all round.

After Chiefofchiefs, my next biggest bet was Gulliver. Had a good go on him too, and I laid off comfortably for a good profit. He’s got to deliver this year surely. Predominantly a 6f horse, but I’d like to see him up in trip too.

Grammata was another good moment. I topped up at 110’s shortly before the off, and easily got my money back. Not a massive bet that one, but still good to get it back. Great run, one to keep on side of. Nate The Great was smaller again, but took the money back.

The other three were all comfortably beaten, and never looked like clawing back, for all they weren’t massive hits, but the run of Its’afreebee was another worth noting.

Obviously chuffed to bits with that today, and a very good Royal Ascot overall, easily my best ever.

• Total Posts 17608

Wanted a go yesterday after the week I had, but having picked out a few, I’m glad I swerved it, as it would have been poor.

With the jumps back, thought I’d play today, and taking a chance with a few across the other cards too.

Thread regulars Justanotherbottle and Bigbadandbeautiful both out, but too short for me.

Over the sticks went with Tiger Twenty Two who with five places is surely an EW steal, while hoping at around 12’s that Mister Butler is a good one to lay in running.

Elsewhere Nicholas T is risky on seasonal debut, but a nice price, while at Roscommon the same applies to Walkabout.

At Thirsk, Kylie Rules looks a crazy price with four places, while Regal Mirage looks massive.

• Total Posts 17608

Really got away with that today.

Nicholas T was a welcome winner at 10’s, and although Tiger Twenty never looked like winning, at 6’s he at least turned out to be the EW steal I thought he was.

At Thirsk, I comfortably got my money back on Regal Mirage, while I’m at a complete loss as to how I managed to get my money back on Kylie Rules, but I’m not complaining.

I’ll definitely be betting that pair again, and that also applies to Mister Butler, who as far as today was concerned, was dismal, but it had the look of a run to blow the cobwebs away. As poor as he was, I’ll try him when the odds suit.

Walkabout was average, running on at the end, and I never looked like getting my money back, never mind winning.

Happy to come out today comfortably ahead, for all that they were all fairly modest bets, but I think I’ll take the money and run, and wait for the weekend now.

• Total Posts 17608

Antepost

Derby
    Cormorant 360’s
    Numen 150’s

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 180 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.