The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nothing Gained 7

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Nothing Gained 7

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 562 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 14867

Wanted a go yesterday after the week I had, but having picked out a few, I’m glad I swerved it, as it would have been poor.

With the jumps back, thought I’d play today, and taking a chance with a few across the other cards too.

Thread regulars Justanotherbottle and Bigbadandbeautiful both out, but too short for me.

Over the sticks went with Tiger Twenty Two who with five places is surely an EW steal, while hoping at around 12’s that Mister Butler is a good one to lay in running.

Elsewhere Nicholas T is risky on seasonal debut, but a nice price, while at Roscommon the same applies to Walkabout.

At Thirsk, Kylie Rules looks a crazy price with four places, while Regal Mirage looks massive.

• Total Posts 14867

Really got away with that today.

Nicholas T was a welcome winner at 10’s, and although Tiger Twenty never looked like winning, at 6’s he at least turned out to be the EW steal I thought he was.

At Thirsk, I comfortably got my money back on Regal Mirage, while I’m at a complete loss as to how I managed to get my money back on Kylie Rules, but I’m not complaining.

I’ll definitely be betting that pair again, and that also applies to Mister Butler, who as far as today was concerned, was dismal, but it had the look of a run to blow the cobwebs away. As poor as he was, I’ll try him when the odds suit.

Walkabout was average, running on at the end, and I never looked like getting my money back, never mind winning.

Happy to come out today comfortably ahead, for all that they were all fairly modest bets, but I think I’ll take the money and run, and wait for the weekend now.

• Total Posts 14867

Grimes Hurdle is a cracker today, though not a race to go mad in, but it’s enough to get me betting.

Away from that race, went for another couple.

Pettinger didn’t let me down the other day, and at 25’s (and hopefully bigger), I’d happily settle for fourth again.

At The Curragh, I’m hoping that Gee Rex can be another EW steal, but I’ll be careful with these types of bets, two in a week is enough, and not getting into that habit.

Grimes Hurdle
    A Wave Of The Sea 14’s
    Hearts Are Trumps 40’s EW 4 Places

1350 Doncaster
    Pettinger EW 4 Places

1845 Curragh
    Gee Rex 6’s EW 5 Places

• Total Posts 14867

Very pleased to come out of yesterday ahead.

Very happy to not have went mad in The Grimes Hurdle, with my pair never sighted, while I’m sure I could have got my money back on Pettinger, but work was a bit lively and I didn’t get a chance.

The plus side of that was that I got full whack on Gee Rex, and he put me nicely ahead. Not sure I’ll be in a rush to bet him again though.

• Total Posts 14867

Already gave my thoughts on the Northumberland Plate and Millennium Millionaire Handicaps on the race thread.

Good to see Chiefofchiefs back out so quickly, in The Chipchase, and although more on his plate here, I don’t think he’s quite out of it. I won’t be having the amounts I had on last week, but with him drifting at double figures, I’ll have a go.

In The Gosforth Park Cup, off of 99, Ornate looks worth chancing again, and I’m hoping for bigger than 20’s.

Three real favourites, Buckhurst, Numerian, and Latrobe take in the four runner Alleged Stakes. No idea what to do with that? Look forward to it though. Should probably just bet Sir Dragonet.

Chipchase – Chiefofchiefs
    Gosforth Park Cup – Ornate
    Northumberland Plate – Cosmelli 25’s
    Caravan of Hope 8’s
    Millenium Millionaire – Romantic Proposal 9’s

Northumberland Plate
    Cosmelli, Caravan of Hope

Millenium Millionaire Handicap
    Romantic Proposal, Katyimann

2 x £1.20 Reverse Exactas

-£10

• Total Posts 14867

Best Northumberland Plate for a while, with Caravan of Hope, and Cosmelli doing me proud. I’d much preferred Cosmelli to have won, but I’m not complaining.

Ornate ran a cracker, and took the 33’s EW, I was very happy with that.

As I’d said, Chiefofchiefs wasn’t a big one this time, and he ran as well as I expected, and wasn’t too disappointed with that effort.

That wasn’t the case with Romantic Proposal. She was my biggest bet of the day, and too busy at work to lay off, and having watched it back, I knew I’d have got it back, but that’s the way it goes. I have to be disappointed with that run, but I should get that money back.

Shouldn’t complain too much though, 8’s winner, and 20’s and 33’s EW’s gave me a winning day, and I’ll take it.

• Total Posts 14867

Back for more today after that yesterday.

At Hamilton. it’s been a long time since I bet Royal Shaheen, and despite that lifeless return, I still feel drawn to him. He’s a very unpredictable type, and he might just be “gone”, but I took a chance at 20’s. He’s win only, as I think he’d win this if on a going day. That’s a pretty big “if” though.

Nice card at The Curragh, and I think that 28’s is a standout EW price for Smash Williams. I’ve followed him a lot, but rarely bet him. I think I can get money back for him in running. I’d expect a better showing than last time. If he drifted, I’d probably go back in.

Later in the card, I really like Sheisdiesel at a big old price, while I’m hoping that Dalton Highway can prove that 12’s to be a crazy price. I topped up 10’s EW to five places on him.

Royal Shaheen 20’s
    Smash Williams 28’s EW
    Sheisdiesel 16’s EW 5 Places
    Dalton Highway 12’s

Sungold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 83

On Romantic Proposal, did you see that she reared in the stalls and threw off the jockey, who then had to re-mount. To what extent do you think might have affected the performance?

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7145

Dalton Highway proved you right :yahoo:
    That looked a decent field too. Pleased with Lynwood Gold’s run…I’ll be putting a bit on him at Galway for sure.

• Total Posts 14867

Thanks Grass, he was a fairly big bet today, so bloody delighted.

Totally agree, that was a hot race, and there’s a good chance I’ll be hanging on your coattails with Lynwood, that was a big run.

• Total Posts 14867

Hi Sungold, I badly want to put that run down to her rearing, but if I was being honest, I think she just wasn’t good enough on the day.

Keep her in mind though, she’ll be winning.

Sungold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 83

Thanks VTC. Amazing selections today which I looked at after the last race at the Curragh.

I (fortunately) backied Underwrite…but did not see your Dalton Highway choice. Fantastic. I must try to keep up.

• Total Posts 14867

Thanks Sungold, I really like Dalton Highway, he’s a smashing horse, and I really think he’s not at his limit yet.

• Total Posts 14867

Quick recap on the Sunday races.

Royal Shaheen and Sheisdiesel were smaller bets. Royal Shaheen ran well enough. Well enough for him to be back on my radar, but I won’t be backing him at a short price. Happy enough to lay off on him though.

Sheisdiesel was very poor, and was beaten from the off. Clearly amiss, but I’d be surprised if I backed her any time soon.

Smash Williams was a bigger bet, and he ran very well. He was so close at the end, but he always looked held, so I didn’t get a bean back on him.

As I’d said, I topped up on Dalton Highway, and he was biggest bet by a good way. I though after two furlongs he’d be winning, and I was very happy by how he done it, and he put me well ahead on the day. 14’s was unreal.

• Total Posts 14867

Clutching at straws a wee bit for Monday, but I have to have another go.

In the 1430 at Yarmouth, I’ve went with a Lady of Aran. Certainly not a massive fancy, but some encouragement last time, and she looks to have a squeak here.

It’s maybe a bit of a stretch to include Chief of Police back on the level, but from a yard I follow closely over the jumps, I just can’t ignore him at a massive price. It’s very difficult to point to winning form at the track, when it was over fences, but it’ll have to do. I do like this horse, but I did say I was clutching at straws. I’ll certainly put more on if he drifts.

The 1915 at Kilbeggan is one of those typical Summer Chases in Ireland, full of all sorts of characters, but fresh from a very encouraging run at Leapordstown, I’m very keen on A Place Apart. He looks too big here. Reach Up, from another yard I follow closely, is harder to recommend. He’s actually one of his horses who I’ve mainly swerved, but he can turn it on occasionally, and Jockey booking catches the eye. Big price if a going day.

At Kilbeggan I also like Western Run, and at Thirsk, I think Soldierpoy is interesting. Both far too short, but I’ll happily thrown them into perms.

Lady of Aran 7’s
    Chief of Police 40’s EW
    Reach Up 33’s EW 4 Places
    A Place Apart 20’s

1915 Kilbeggan
    Reach Up, A Place Apart
    £1 Reverse Forecast

-£12

• Total Posts 14867

Well, that run had to come to an end eventually, and it certainly did today.

Lady of Aran was dismal, but one silver lining was Chief Of Police. Topped up before the off, and comfortably got it back.

Unfortunately though, A Place Apart was main bet of the day, and I obviously bet Reach Up as well, so that was enough for a loser of a day, comfortably as well, so hopefully nothing till the weekend now.

• Total Posts 14867

Certainly not betting this pair today, but both of serious interest with Galway in mind.

Azzuri – Haven’t forgotten his romp at Ayr last year, and he’s spent all winter running on completely unsuitable ground. His mark has plummeted as a result. Very hard to second guess what the plan is, considering he can run over both fences and hurdles, but Galway is surely the plan.

I thought the trip stretched him in The Plate last year, while he’ll struggle to get in The Galway Hurdle, so perhaps one of the supporting races for him.

If that is the case, then even more reason to swerve him tomorrow, as it wouldn’t be essential for him to win, for all he’d lap this lot if on his “A Game”.

Recent Revelations – Major fancy of mine for The Galway Hurdle, definitely my #1 at the moment. I think this is a nice horse, and he should have a big season ahead. He’s not the slickest over his flights, but I think he’ll be miles better than 130. If unsuccessful tomorrow, which is possible, as the Fav looks decent, then he’d still be of serious interest at Galway in one of the supporting races.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 562 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.