The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nothing Gained 4

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Nothing Gained 4

Viewing 17 posts - 511 through 527 (of 550 total)
  • Author
    Flyers Nap
    Participant
    • Total Posts 282

Morning…….Delayed as a few connection problems,just what we need.Not getting the vibes for todays card,historically this has not been my favourite day,still some nice horses on show,I would agree with softly approach.

Race 1 sets the bar,by process of elimination come down on the skelton mare,improving sort who has no issue with trip/ground,settled much better her last run,front two both been kept to mainly right handed tracks.

The juvenile hurdle just as tricky,saw the french horse at the 5 day stage,was half expecting the hendo horse pulled,very interesting entry.Not difficult to make a case for either of the Irish challengers,the bromhead horse especially,both way overpriced in open looking affair,these “babies” can improve dramatically this time year.

With you on Clan Des Obeaux,if there is a potential improver,he,s the boy.Best two performances at newbury,left handed and flat.No excuses for the jolly…..that was a hard race at headquarters,not the type that Hendo would sacrifice if he thought not 100%.

Cyrus Darius has plenty to find on figures,likes the track and no ground fears,not sure that was a high class stayers,time will tell,so at the prices a tentative selection.

Distime was the horse I liked,as with a lot hard to know just how much ability they retain,been here before which is positive,ground should be fine.Also had a little on the Irish horse,Biddick and o’neil are decent riders,another big factor in this race.

Only handicap,and as ever a difficult puzzle,missed the prices but I do think Doitforthevillage has a decent chance of recouping losses from 2017.Heavily backed in this last year,the F against his name is tosh,clipped heels after the fence when travelling ominously well.Mark looks high enough,will need a personal best to collect,hard to discount any.

Notable none of the big Irish yards have entries,maybe keeping them for punchy and the trainers championship?

Keep an eye on yours,as always need a little lady…………best of luck today B-)

• Total Posts 15019

Yeah, trappy as hell, and a lot of “lady” needed, of that there is no doubt. Best of luck.

• Total Posts 15019

As expected, a tough day, and when you’re strict with the staking, and it doesn’t go well, well it almost feels like a win.

Modus was very poor, while I was kicking myself with We Have A Dream, and I wish I had been with him after all.

Next two races were much better, with a small return from Clan Des Obeaux, and a wee bit more from Sizing Codelco in running. I did well to escape from that race ahead.

The next was much better, with a very nice lay in running on Diakali, and despite no winners, I was well ahead (pointwise, not cashwise, wasn’t betting that much obviously).

Grand Vision was disappointing, and his jumping was brutal, and as I said on the race thread, not a big betting race for me. Thankfully.

Then came The Red Rum. Combination of Sizing Platinum & Double W’s Ante-Post, and the addition of Theflyingportrait, put me behind.

I added Builmeupbuttercup in the last, and she ran ok, but pride of place went to Midnightreferendum, who I caught at 40’s, and she got me within a few quid of breaking even.

I had no winners, and she was the only one who came close, so to escape relatively unscathed was brilliant.

Friday
    Day two has a totally different look to the Thursday, and my betting will be different here.

One of my favourite horses of recent seasons, Court Minstrel, runs in the opener, and despite it looking too soft, there is no way I’m letting him pass here. I’m hoping the claimer can make a decent fist of it, she’ll have to, as he’s weighted to his best. Very unlikely, but I can’t let him pass. Main bet is Massini’s Trap, and I’m on at 22’s to 6 places already. I was looking at a saver on Project Bluebook, but Spiritofthegames might be more realistic.

In the next, I’m going for a loud one. As I’ve mentioned a few times, I’m always reluctant to add any “Midnights” in this thread just for the sake of it, but with 4 Places available at 66’s on Midnight Shadow, I have to play him, that is far too big, he’s very decent, and just needs to be given a cuter ride.

The Mildmay Novices Chase is normally a good betting heat, but I’ll sit it out, as could bet them all. I’ll use it to get clues for next season, and I’m particularly interested in Ms Parfois, Black Corton, and Coo Star Sivola, so may have a Trifecta. In the next, I’ll definitely sit it out, as it’s not a betting race really.

Which brings us on to The Topham. Already with Eastlake, Theatre Territory, and Ballyalton Ante-Post. I haven’t covered my budget on it, and might add a couple more. I’ll certainly be betting Midnight Shot, I was happy with how Charlie Longsdon prepared Bentelimar today, while Clarcam can’t possibly be as bad as he was last year.

In the penultimate race, Sam’s Gunner is a straightforward selection, and in the finale, Thosedaysaregone looks way overpriced. I’ll maybe take Kateson in this as well.

Topham will make this a much bigger betting day, and if it goes like today, it will be more costly. I’ll definitely be looking to lay everything in running.

Flyers Nap
    Participant
    • Total Posts 282

Not the greatest of starts,the mare getting collared late on set the tone.

Day two does not look any easier,but very open with just one hit required at decent odds.

Court minstrel is interesting,had a few pennies on him,the claim makes him dangerous.Main play is Eaton Hill at the bottom,the last two rides very interesting,couple pounds wrong,no surprise if he’s better than current mark.

Vision des flos/style garde…..the drop back for the tizzard horse is the angle,trappy looking race.

Snow Falcon….not quite sure why was entered last week,this horse always struck me as better on flat track,ground should be ok,normally travels well,coo star may also outrun odds.

Love to see Balko confirm his last run,lovely prospect who might just be a GC horse one day.

We saw the course form yesterday foxhunters,Ultragold and o o seven have both been round here,preference for the former,Cobden looks most improved rider for me,ideally would want less cut,decent renewal.

Tower Bridge/chef des obeaux…….no strong opinion here,both could be better on flat track,the owner/trainer combinations here make me wary,market watch may be in order.

Keep an eye on yours……GL B-)

• Total Posts 15019

Sorry Flyers, yes good luck yourself today, though after what I said last night, I’m bringing it back in a bit, and those I’ve still to bet, will be much less stakes now, I sometimes struggle to read it on that ground.

What about Thunder and Roses getting in………very interesting.

Flyers Nap
    Participant
    • Total Posts 282

Evening

A real turn up with Thunder……..virtually impossible on his recent starts to have any confidence,having said I will be with him,difficult one,sleep on that I think.

Back in the game,tomorrow looks really nice card,three decent handicaps and the donkey derby,is there any chance we can get our dosh back on the williams runner in the first?

Cursory glance only,a drop of red does not help,will update tomorrow once the head clears,not sure what we have in store weather wise,heads together tomorrow am,your due :yes:

• Total Posts 15019

Evening Flyers, yeah too late to go over tomorrows action. Great card tomorrow, but in no position to pick anything out strongly, though did have a look at the Williams horse.

As I said at the start of the week, weather could change my stance on The National, and it’s looking that way at the moment. Might be too heavy now for Tiger, though still hopeful, so have about 7, 8 heavy horses on my radar, but to be honest, I might just leave it now. I’m already very green, and made my money, anything else now is just gravy.

I’ll regroup and be on with Saturdays Selections before lunchtime. National Day is Christmas Day though, and I can’t wait, phone won’t stop, people popping in, you can’t beat it lol

Nothing much to shout about on Friday, but happy with 3rd and 5th in Topham, while very happy with Kateson in the last……sadly I was win only. Everything else beaten fair and square, and as long as there are no frustrating excuses, I can’t argue with that.

Right, I better get some sleep, going to be an early rise.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7871

Bob why could a loose horse not wipe out winner in topham could had nice 40/1 gutted got him ew to but still been even more would of won

Any views on races away from Aintree i know you love a staying chase one at Chepstow our old pal WALDORF SALAD for me mate stable in flying form.And put few other bets up in thread to

• Total Posts 15019

Yeah Darren, he was never a 40-1 shot, fancied him loads myself, ended up with 3rd and 5th, so happy with that from the entry stage, but pennies back from Theatre Territory, as nearly all win, and Ballyalton was win only. Didn’t fancy Ballyalton on the day. A fantastic horse, who’s been incredibly unlucky with the ground this year.

Had a long look at Waldorf, 50/50 as to whether I bet him, but might just stick to Aintree. I like Ibis Du Rheu a lot.

Mental here this morning, it’s just the best day of the year. Not had a chance to a proper write up, but these are the shortlist horses, won’t be betting them all, and might just do perms, or two or three of them as singles. I’ve been spoiled the last two years at Aintree, went really well, but so far, back to the old routine, and lots of losers.

Sykes – Overpriced and capable for sure.
    Connetable – Watching him all season, and reluctant to let him pass.
    Final Venture – Trainer dangerous here, and claimer got her sights in yesterday, surely the only reason Court Minstrel was allowed to run on that going.

Electric Concorde – Too big a price for shrewd yard.

Heist – Ground concerns but interesting
    Ibis Du Rheu – Strong fancy
    On Tour – They’ve definitely been dicking about with him

Sam Spinner – Hard to forgive that ride, but fab horse, who should surely go close in Stayers next season.
    Coole Cody – Big price, but worth a try in this company

Grand National
    Tiger Roll main fancy, but can’t get away from those jumping concerns, and the ground might be too testing. Seeyouatmidnight and Carlingford Lough big winners for me as well.

I like Maggio, Houblon Des Obeaux, Alpha Des Obeaux, Ucello Conti, or Warriors Tale as well, and trying to work out what I’m doing. Common sense should dictate, that I stick rather than twist, but we’ll see.

Sternrubin – Great comeback in County, and will love conditions
    All Set To Go – I’ve just always liked him

Good luck today mate, and hopefully one of us can have a winner……….or two.

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2518

thanks VTC you are a star

• Total Posts 15019

You are more than welcome N, happy days.

Flyers Nap
    Participant
    • Total Posts 282

That morning after feeling.

Every year the family like a few bets,with yours truly never seeing the stake money,probably goes on up and down the land ,no mind,the race still brings people together.

The little warrior brings home the Bacon,had my doubts as that race at HQ took a lot out of him.Running on empty at the end,just a gutsy perfomance from a real battler,wonderful horse.

The big question now,where does he go,suspect there might be only one race on the agenda.Still only 8 yr old,if they can keep him sound,every reason to suggest that upward curve may continue.

Plenty more to take out of the races over the big fences,the first two home yesterday and the Topham winner were ridden by three excellent pilots,sit back later and watch all the races over these obstacles,no coincidence that the same few rise to the top.

Cognac towers will be rocking for some time,with good reason,well deserved.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I’d’ve been so down if he hadnn’t won. I rewatched The Morning Line again to double check what Ruby had said about Pleasant Company and he definitely said he didn’t stay last year and hadn’t improved so he had no chance [ie if I can’t win on him no one can]. I’m sure that the amount of passion generated by VtC’s [and Tiger Rolls] followers got him over the line. My hands are still hurting from clapping and clenching and punching and, as for shouting, well, it’s a wonder I can talk today! Not only that but he came out top in the vote on the grandnationalguide which I follow year in year out, and it’s the first time we’ve had the winner in ages. The little horse has made a lot of people very happy….

• Total Posts 15019

Moe, Pleasant Company would have been a hard one to take. I gave him a strong chance, he was a big winner for me last year, and I’ve been touting him since his Novice Days.

As for Tiger Roll, what a boy he is, and I like to think it was the industrial language which I was using that actually got him over the line…………..I had to be sedated after that lol

• Total Posts 15019

@FlyersNap
    The morning after wasn’t so bad, it was the rest of the day that took it’s toll. I took the mutt for a very long walk, and that blew the cobwebs away, and then I got in, and collapsed on the couch, a very delayed hangover. Spent the rest of the day curled up in a ball, watching re-runs……..and I still think Pleasant Company is going to get there.

Yeah, only one race now, but I think it’ll be The National again. I’ve been saying for a year and a half now, since that day in The Munster National, that he was a potential Gold Cup Horse. I bet him at 250’s for 2018 Gold Cup, way back in January 2017, long before his win in The 4 Miler, and he’s not let me down. I’d love to see him given a chance, but I can see connections keeping him down the tried and tested, and who can blame them. I’ve bet him anyway, just in case lol. As you say, there is the real chance of progression with age on his side.

As for the bet itself, well I wouldn’t have mentioned this on The National Thread, as that’s not the place to discuss such things, but it was easily my biggest winning single ever. I’ve had bigger wins with perms, doubles etc, but until Saturday, Rock On Ruby in The 2012 Champion Hurdle, when I had him at 200’s, had been easily my biggest winner. Tiger Roll was double that. It was a moment I will never forget. I’ll never forget the finish either, but when he kicked away over the last, well that was my favourite ever moment in racing. It’ll be a long time before I can beat that. He’s tough as hell, and I love him to bits.

Rest of the meeting
    If Tiger Roll was the “good”, then the rest were just “bad and ugly”, and he fair saved my bacon. Thursday didn’t matter, as I only bet a few quid here and there, but I had bigger bets on Friday, and though it was back to moderate bets on Saturday, the number of losers, or more importantly, the number of losers who didn’t even get close, was something of a worry.

As I mentioned the other day, the last two years at Aintree have spoiled me, had plenty of joy, but this year was more like reverting to type, and I’ll be more guarded for sure next year.

I was very happy to have third and fifth in The Topham, from the 80 odd of them at the initial entry stage, but they didn’t pay, and I got loads of them very wrong.

Ante-Post
    Scottish Champion Hurdle – Beyond The Clouds 16’s Win and EW
    Scottish Grand National – Daklondike 25’s EW
    Scottish Grand National – Fagan 16’s Win
    Punchestown Gold Cup – Sandymount Duke 66’s EW
    Punchestown Gold Cup – General Principle 66’s EW

Specials – Aiden O’Brien to win every English Classic 20’s
    I don’t have any interest in The Classics, and don’t follow them, but had a wee go on this, and if this comes in, it will be thanks to The Ante-Post King

Notebooks
    Bet 365 Gold Cup on the horizon, and I was very happy to see Callet Mad swerve Aintree, he’s close to being bet, while Theatre Guide at 40’s, well I think that could look a crazy price on the day.

Punchestown gets better every year, and I’m really looking forward to it. I’ll finish the season off there for sure, but only two Ante-Posts so far, and I’ll have a look closer. One I want to be with is Bachasson. I honestly thought he’d be a Gold Cup horse this year, and still do, but I just get the impression that he was a distraction to WPM, and also got the impression that he only ran there at the owners request. As good as I think he is, I just have the suspicion that one of the big handicaps at the meeting is what he’ll have in mind for him.

I know Court Minstrel very well, and have had many a good payout from him. I thought Chepstow in October would be my last win from him, but I don’t know, I seen enough on Friday, and I just wonder, if he’s worth one more go in The Swinton. If he gets an entry, I’ll bet him once the race is priced up.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7871

Bob i put up early fancies for 2019 national 3 horses and one caught my eye in race this year who go well next season

• Total Posts 15019

Cheers Darren.

I took Alpha Des Obeaux, in my Ten To Follow, smashing horse, and that Elegant Escape, looks to have a proper future too. Certainly shapes like a National Horse.

Viewing 17 posts - 511 through 527 (of 550 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.