The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Norfolk Stakes 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot Archive Royal Ascot 2014 Norfolk Stakes 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Our Vic
    • Total Posts 99

2 pts win Moinesur Chevalier
    1 opt e/w Radiohead, Star Rover

Diamond Johnny G: US sprint-bred colt is likely to progress significantly from his 20-1 debut second in 11-runner Lingfield AW auction maiden; However beaten runners 1st time out don’t have great record here and needs to find a lot more in this; However stable is coming into form and they have good 2 yr old record here.

Here Now And Why: Two wins on the board by early last month, the more recent at 2-11 in three-runner novice stakes at Thirsk; Beaten some useful horses, including Mister Manan (won by 7 lengths next time out, before then coming 9th in Windsor Castle) and probably capable of better, but looks up against it still.

Kingdom Of Light: Represents stable which won this a year ago (and York substitute race in 2005); Found one to good 1st time out in Mister Manan (interestingly enough finished 9th in Windsor Castle Stakes) before putting himself into contention with an all-the-way Haydock maiden win; form has been franked by next three home and, clear entering final furlong on that occasion, is unlikely to be inconvenienced by return to 5f; But this might be a bridge to far for him.

Moinesur Chevalier: Unbeaten son of Chevalier for in – form Hannon team; all obtained with a brilliant turn of foot, winning on debut by 5 lengths from Diamond Laura in what looked an above average maiden for Folkestone, then followed up in good style from Soccer, in a Newmarket conditions race, with the Brocklesby winner Hearts Of Fire (5th in Windsor Castle Stakes) in 4th; 3rd win was pretty much was pretty much an easy canter from Archers Road, who gave his form another boost when landing the Brian Yeardley at Beverley; Best win so far was in National Stakes, where looking outpaced 3 out, he came through to storm away from Star Rover in the last furlong; Good pace here likely to suit, trained has good record in this, and also is in form, having had opening day double; Sets the standard an d will be hard to beat.

Nosedive: Played up beforehand and was easy in the market but got the job done well in Sandown maiden last week; Likely to improve a lot from that and could well be a shout at big e/w price.
    Radiohead: Highly regarded Brian Meehan colt who made a highly promising debut second at Newmarket considering he looked clueless and looked much more the finished article when outclassing three others (second won a seller since) at Bath; May well still have improvement to come and assuming he doesn’t get outpaced, will surely be brought in by late kick.

Regnier: Has improved from race to race, following up Musselburgh maiden win by chasing home Capercaillie in Class 2 conditions event there; Respected but still needs more to win this though.
    Running Maite: Well supported both outings in 6f maidens but not lasted home; drop to minimum trip and first-time visor will help, but needs to be transformed to win this.

Star Rover: Has been a tough and consistent juvenile, making an impressive debut at Kempton, beating Out The Thing by 4 lengths in a strong maiden for the track, producing 11 win and placed runs since from 28 starts. He put his speed to good use when beating Red Avalanche under a penalty by 1 and a half lengths. He was quickly winning again after that, giving 14lbs to Chicita Banana and a 1 ½ length beating, before pulling out surely his best performance yet, when overcoming a wide draw in the 5 furlong Lily Agnes stakes, beating Arches Road by a neck giving away 6lbs. That might just have caught up with him when only beaten ¾ of a length trying to give away 14lbs and upwards to Desert Auction the next day, at Goodwood showed he is taking his races well by beating all except unbeaten Monsieur Chevalier at Sandown in National Stakes; That rival reopposes and also was unable to dominate when 6th in Windsor Castle on Tuesday; More exposed than most but worth small e/w bet.
    Tawaabb: Let down by inexperience when odds on for debut but made no mistake in another maiden at Leicester, scoring comfortably (second has run well since); No forlorn hope but much more needed.

Yogaroo: US challenger who has run on dirt and Polytrack, beaten favourite over 2.5f on debut but went on to trounce ten others in maiden special weight over 4.5f at Keeneland; Given way that surface rides, should give it best on turn and stable in flying form here with winners in Windsor Castle Stakes and wide margin winner of Queen Mary, so should give it best shot.
    VERDICT: With speed to burn and a stable in form, despite some of the unexposed types in this field, it’ll take a good one to beat MOINESUR CHEVLIER, who has not been extended in winning his four starts so far, including when putting the re-opposing Star Rover (same terms) well and truly in his place in the Listed National Stakes at Sandown last month. It’ll take a good one to beat him. Radiohead looked like a horse who really has a future when winning on the bridle at Bath last time, and his late kick will stand him in good stead here. He’s too big at 9/1. Yogaroo, given his trainer form and the fact that he’s been racing on very turf like surfaces in the US, must be respected. Also worth a note is Star Rover, who’s been noting but coinstent this season and is worth a small e/w bet.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

The American horse it is then.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2183

Joint biggest bet of this week on the Hannon horse for me. Seriously impressive at Sandown and my only concern was that maybe he looked as if 6f would be ideal and that they are aiming for this because of Canford rather than being perfect for him. But it will be a test…so that should compensate

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Law of averages suggest the Americans cant win this too? Well I am going with that train of thought anyway lol!

Kingdom of Light’s maiden win has been franked by 2nd 3rd and 4th and the stable has won this twice since 2005. Decent each way shout here.

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

Yagaroo it is @ 2/1. I’m fully aware that backing this horse leaves me open to ignoring other good runners in the race, but this trainer has brought a good team and the jockey is a top rider.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’ve bee an MC fan since he first ran and done well out of him but I have to admit he for me isn’t a natural 5 furlong horse. I spent along time studying the horse before his second beat Soccer at Newmarket and thought when he won he could be doing with another furlong.

I backed him again at Sandown when he won but had a few moments worry when he wasn’t picking up. Luckily Sandown is plenty stiff enough and he got up in the end to win.

If he wasn’t CC stabel companion I fancy he may well have gone for the Coventry.

However he looks to have the measure of this lot with only the American horse being an unknown.

I know former meber equi is very keen on Radio Head but I have slight resevations about him. He’s just a bit eratic looking to me and might not put it in enough to win. He could be a danger though as they say he’s the best in the yard

As far as the American horse is concerned he could be anything but there is no getting away from the fact he beat absolutely nothing in his maiden. The 2nd was around 24/1 and the 3rd was 20/1. He himself went off at over 4/1 which tells me he wasn’t exactly backed off the boards to win. If he was that good I doubt he would have started at that price.

He was also any price you like (around7/1) before Jealous Again won and has now been cut to the bone.

It could be a big mistake assuming this horse is anywhere near as good as JA and the Monsieur is surley a lot better than any of those fillies she beat.

The bookies are being their usual generous selves cutting 5 points off JA and pushing MC out a lousy 1/4 point. They’re alot of things but stupid isn’t one of them.

I reckon MC will win on this stiffish course and kick this yank right into touch.

1. Monsiuer Cavalier 6/4
    2. Radiohead
    also having a RFC

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’m not quite ‘former’ yet, Fist.

But yes, Radiohead for me.

ARWalsh
    • Total Posts 25

Totally agree, think this is all nonsense about the American horse.
    If you look at the prices Strike The Tiger and Jealous Again went off at in their races before Ascot they were both well backed; 6/5F, 21/10F and 6/4F respectively.
    Yagaroo went off Fav in his first race when beaten and then 4/1 when he did when after being stepped up.
    Don’t think Yagaroo is as well thought of as their two winners this week, but then again why bring him over?
    Monsieur Chavalier with Radiohead taking a place as long as he doesnt make a mess of the start like he did at Newmarket

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

If you can compare this horse to the one that beat Star Rover the other day by 5L, then there’s a vague line to follow.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I managed to get a bit of 4-1 the Yankee straight after Jealous Again won- they seem in a different league so far.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Disregarding what he beat, 51 secs for 4.5 furlongs around a bend seems pretty fast to me, and he’ll surely have the legs of these early.
    Not sure they’re in a different league though Carv, just trained differently?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

That one yesterday looked like it was on crack and the cops were chasing it :lol:

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

Jealous Again was Ward’s best of the meeting, I think.

A lot of this price shortening is based on a fear factor, it seems.

Helps if you’re an MC fan through and through.

thebrigadier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 416

Jealous Again was Ward’s best of the meeting, I think.

I heard they think Aegean in the Albany tomorrow is their best.

MC’s form is easily the best though the speed these US horses have is a concern. Having said that MC beat Fratellino a long way last time out and that one ran Strike The Tiger close so unless they rate Yagaroo much higher MC should take it.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’m not quite ‘former’ yet, Fist.

But yes, Radiohead for me.

I actually meant forum. That aside very well done mate. You’ve been waiting for that one for a long time. Hope you murdered em!!!

I though M Cavalier had everying else cover but could see Radio Head absolutely cruiing in behind. Would have won 10 lengths without been sent halfway through the rails.

Very unfortunate incident as the American horse looked very green. He was hanging right and the jockey gave him a bit of a slap down the shoulder to straighten him up and the poor thing sh1t itslef :lol:

ARWalsh
    • Total Posts 25

Disappointing but covered myself with Radiohead for a place, think MC would have won that well, fair play to RH though he also got a barge!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

In no way, shape or form was Monsieur Chevalier going to win that race – Moses could have appeared in the middle of the track and parted the field biblical style and he still wouldn’t have won.

The winner’s smart though. Very smart.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.