The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nooooooooo, C4 are at it now

Home Forums Horse Racing Nooooooooo, C4 are at it now

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

"Fashion experts" wrecking the racing coverage. I thought we’d left all that behind with the Beebs Royal Ascot coverage but no Channel 4 are now following suit at Newmarket.

Get on with the horses FFS. Best dressed woman who flipping cares? :roll:

heffo
    • Total Posts 319

Thank God for RUK.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

"Fashion experts" wrecking the racing coverage. I thought we’d left all that behind with the Beebs Royal Ascot coverage but no Channel 4 are now following suit at Newmarket.

Get on with the horses FFS. Best dressed woman who flipping cares? :roll:

Couldn’t agree more.

One thing in life that has always baffled me is why do they go off on a tangent and start talking about fashion when it’s a bloody horse racing programme.

You don’t get at fashion expert at the football on Super Sunday, or a fashion expert at the US Masters, or even at Lords, Twickenham, The British Open etc. So why the hell do we get a fashion expert mulling over who likes nice and who doesn’t in between the bloody horse races.

Surely it’s not that difficult to talk about the horses, show some replays, do some interviews etc, instead of talking about fashion before cutting to the race as the last 2 are being loaded lol.

Mike

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

very true mike but then they don’t have ‘best dressed women’ competitions at those other sporting events nor half hour gaps between the action

things could be worse 8)

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

hey why not? harsh comments. I really enjoy the fashion items and pleased that C4 have taken this up a little although like so much on television I believe the winner today was hand picked for reasons other than what she had on.
    Some of us love dressing up for the day so please don’t begrudge us that, and I’m a bit surprised that you find it so objectionable – pretty ladies in their finest outfits.
    My only gripe is that there’s never a best dressed man competition, which is unfair really in this day and age but it might be a job to find one sober enough to interview, guess that’s the problem. :lol:

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

hey why not? harsh comments. I really enjoy the fashion items and pleased that C4 have taken this up a little although like so much on television I believe the winner today was hand picked for reasons other than what she had on.
    Some of us love dressing up for the day so please don’t ingratiating begrudge us that, and I’m a bit surprised that you find it so objectionable – pretty ladies in their finest outfits.
    My only gripe is that there’s never a best dressed man competition, which is unfair really in this day and age but it might be a job to find one sober enough to interview, guess that’s the problem. :lol:

I wouldn’t begrudge anyone dressing up how they like. We all like to dress up smartly when we go somewhere nice, and I certainly don’t mind ogling some fit women – in fact it’s one of my hobbies :lol:

But it’s called Channel 4 Racing, not Channel 4 Racing & Fashion, and I wouldn’t mind seeing more trainer interviews / jockey interviews, passed races etc in between races, rather than get an analysis on what everyone is wearing. I’m not against it as strongly as I might be sounding, I just think it’s not necessary, especially the amount of coverage it got at Royal Ascot.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Hi Ugly Mare,

I suppose the whys or why nots of the matter boil down to what the individual wants from his or her racing TV coverage – solely hard analysis and the races themselves, or something more entertainment-oriented, or some happy medium between the two.

I’m less tolerant of the introduction of the fashion items, etc. on C4 than I am on the BBC for the simple reason that the need for ad breaks already eats into the finite time schedule somewhat, and such items only serve to squeeze out the analysis etc. yet further.

However, it is actually good to hear from you that the introduction of fashion bits does find favour with some trenche of the viewership, rather than being an imposition on the coverage by the producer which has missed any target audience it was intended to reach. And yes, in the interests of parity a competition for male totty would seem only fair!

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Completely disagree Jeremy, if they’re going to have a competition it should be female only :wink:

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Come, come, Aragorn. It’s not as if anyone is suggesting that if there was a male totty contest at the racecourse, you or any of the other contestants would have to strip to your boxer shorts and flex your muscles in front of the judges.

At least not at Ludlow in January anyway….

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

…I’m sure some of you would like very nice in your boxer shorts, in the height of summer. Can’t wait :lol: a tie would be nice.

Micky Mo, Jeremy,

…it’s hardly racing and fashion, it was only on for a few minutes. Royal Ascot on the other hand definitely is and it’s part of the tradition there and long may it continue. Horse racing can be very boring with the amount going on nowadays, so it’s nice to have a diversion for a few moments from time to time I think – even allowing for adverts. The amount of air time given to it over the course of a year on t.v. must be miniscule. Sorry you don’t feel the same way about it though.

I was the winner today by the way, did you like my outfit ?? :mrgreen:

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

…I’m sure some of you would like very nice in your boxer shorts, in the height of summer. Can’t wait :lol: a tie would be nice.

Micky Mo, Jeremy,

…it’s hardly racing and fashion, it was only on for a few minutes. Royal Ascot on the other hand definitely is and it’s part of the tradition there and long may it continue. Horse racing can be very boring with the amount going on nowadays, so it’s nice to have a diversion for a few moments from time to time I think – even allowing for adverts. The amount of air time given to it over the course of a year on t.v. must be miniscule. Sorry you don’t feel the same way about it though.

I was the winner today by the way, did you like my outfit ?? :mrgreen:

But if that’s what you want to see then you have an option to switch over to one of the countless ‘fashion’ channels currently on Sky TV.

I can watch ATR or Racing UK from early in the morning until late at night without once seeing an analysis on what the racegoers are wearing, and I certainly don’t feel as though I have missed out in any way, shape or form.

I am not just having a go at fashion here, my point is that it’s a racing programme and in my opinion should concentrate on aspects of racing. I would be equally disgruntled if they were showing anything else in between races that had nothing to do with the horse racing.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

…a tie would be nice.

Heaven kicked you out
    You wouldn’t wear a tie

– “Going Nowhere”, Therapy?, ca. 1994

…it’s hardly racing and fashion, it was only on for a few minutes.

Again, it’s whether that “few minutes” is a luxury the broadcaster in question can or should afford to expend on non-racing matters. BBC and C4 have decided they can, and it’s clearly a move which has found favour with you, but I fear it will never do across the board.

Hard to convince a point-to-point enthusiast of the virtues of looking fashionable at the races, when clothes are merely things you sling on in the vague hope of protection from the elements at the start of the day and pick all the mud and rain out of at the end of it!

gc

TheCheekster
    • Total Posts 329

I’d appreciate a best UNdressed man comp! :lol:
    Although none should have a place on a racing programme.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

I’d appreciate a best UNdressed man comp! :lol:
    Although none should have a place on a racing programme.

You naughty woman :wink:

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

I am not just having a go at fashion here, my point is that it’s a racing programme and in my opinion should concentrate on aspects of racing. I would be equally disgruntled if they were showing anything else in between races that had nothing to do with the horse racing.

..you say it should concentrate on aspects of racing but as a lady viewer who likes to dress up when going to the races like so many others traditionally do especially for the better 3 and 4 day meetings, which is what we’re talking about here, then I would argue that a degree of fashion is in fact one of these aspects you speak of and is now being rightly included within the racing broadcast, albeit briefly. Many of us enjoy the experience and really I’m astonished that anyone sees any great problem here in it getting a bit of air time. Some of us go to a lot of trouble and yes we like to be made a little fuss of.
    It’s all in good fun and is very much part of the racing scene on these occasions and supplies some light relief from the constant barrage of "so and so is drifting on the exchanges"…. :roll:

graysonscolumn,
    as I said above we’re not talking of p to p in the mud, who’d want to dress up for that ? but at these big meetings I think it has it’s place and I’m sure there must be many afternoon viewers, perhaps older, mostly female I imagine who would enjoy as I do, these little extras – trivia if you like, and don’t want to be continuously bombarded with generally masculine oriented angles.

just to even the score, my husband thinks it’s all a load of old b*llocks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.