The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nick Mordin on Kauto Star

Home Forums Archive Topics Trends, Research And Notebooks Nick Mordin on Kauto Star

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Anyone read the weekender yet?

He almost accuses KS of sidestepping the Irish challengers 😮

"but on my speed ratings I dont rate him anywhere near as fast as the top three irish chasers"

and he includes the speedy BOS in that list 😮

More seriously though, he uses recent and past performance as an indicator for the future . Simply put, part of the justification is taht british chasers have not been winning top prizes.

Lies, damn lies and trends 🙂 <br>and then

"when KS has won 14 races in a row in his home country….then i will start taking him seriously"

😮 😮 😮 😮 😮 😮

(Edited by clivex at 12:18 pm on Dec. 6, 2006)

• Total Posts 1904

Now I’m confused. Kauto Star is not as fast as Beef or Salmon? And yet I’m sure in a recent race I saw BoS trundling along behind the aforementioned slow horse who hadn’t come off the bridle. Most puzzling.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1229

Quote: from clivex on 12:17 pm on Dec. 6, 2006[br]Anyone read the weekender yet?

He almost accuses KS of sidestepping the Irish challengers 😮

"but on my speed ratings I dont rate him anywhere near as fast as the top three irish chasers"

and he includes the speedy BOS in that list 😮

More seriously though, he uses recent and past performance as an indicator for the future . Simply put, part of the justification is taht british chasers have not been winning top prizes.

Lies, damn lies and trends 🙂 <br>and then

"when KS has won 14 races in a row in his home country….then i will start taking him seriously"

😮 😮 😮 😮 😮 😮

(Edited by clivex at 12:18 pm on Dec. 6, 2006)<br>

Well unless Nicholls starts running pacemakers, Im not sure what Mordin expects.

SHL

• Total Posts 2432

You’ve got to admire Maudlin, in a way.

No-one ever achieves serious goals by following the herd.

Edited for mad spelling error

(Edited by Maxilon 5 at 12:39 pm on Dec. 6, 2006)

Participant
    • Total Posts 2804

No-one ever achieves seriius goals by following the herd.

Nor sells newspapers without being deliberately contrarian. 😎

Mike<br>

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

When you read it more closely, he doesnt really give much reasoning for his view other than the winning irish trend (which is a completely irrelevant factor frankly) and his "speed ratings" (whatever thats based on)

Also he goes on about how the Irish owners have outbid the british ones as being a factor against KS. Largely true I suppose but of that in this case KS was the result of a bid from Clive Smith’s above JP’s….

And he didnt come cheap either…

• Total Posts 2432

It’s quite clever, Clive, if you think about it.

As Mike says, no-one would bother discussing his nonsensical flotsam if he said that Kauto was the best chaser he’d seen in his lifetime.  Everyone else is saying that and there is no longer a payoff.

Whereas now, people will once again remember the name Maudlin. It’s a standard protocol for rampant self-publicists, narcissists, and spoilt b*****d
    s everywhere from the playground to the office.

What is his opinion on Ouija, Clive? Do you know?

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

It’s a standard protocol for rampant self-publicists, narcissists, and spoilt b*****d s everywhere from the playground to the office.

As opposed to sheep who follow the general opinion and never get anywhere because of it? It’s almost as if a certain Alan Potts had never written "Against The Crowd".

(Edited by Gareth Flynn at 1:11 pm on Dec. 6, 2006)

• Total Posts 1904

I’m one of Mordin’s fans, I have found most of his work excellent reading and I’m all for standing against the crowd, but you would expect some logic behind it. If his speed ratings have BoS faster than KS then there must be something wrong with his ratings.

Personally I think there is a little hype, but only a little. Certainly Kauto Star is unlikely to be a backable price before and possibly during Cheltenham and I’d still have (increasingly tiny) doubts about his jumping in a big field at speed, given his relative lack of bulk. But to declare that he is slow in comparison with BoS doesn’t quite ring true.

Anyone can be a contrarian and you’ll look a genius when you get it right but I always thought Mordin was about applying logic, not just being a contrarian for the sake of it.<br>

• Total Posts 2432

Being deliberately controversial is nothing to do with that excellent book.  

Maudlin did the same thing last year with a certain horse. People talked it to death. He does it all the time; a modus operandi.

And fair play to him, but don’t expect me for one to pay anything more than a passing interest in his unhinged dribblings.

If it quacks, floats on water and has yellow feathers, it’s a duck.  Trying to prove it’s a pigeon is often counter-productive and in certain cases, an irritation.

• Total Posts 2432

Sorry Artemis, posted at the same time.

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

If his speed ratings have BoS faster than KS then there must be something wrong with his ratings.

Why? Until last Saturday the Racing Post’s Topspeed agreed.<br>

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

I for one have questioned this horses ability. However I can’t agree with Mordin, he is definitely not a slow horse, he does posess a lot of ability, though he does have a lot to prove.

JohnJ

• Total Posts 1904

Because KS beat BoS in a canter and is still improving. When one athlete beats another by half a lap, it is difficult to argue that the beaten athlete is actually the faster of the two, particularly when the winning athlete was not extended and has scope to get even faster.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Max

Not sure what he said about Ouija, but he certainly went bonkers about Detriot City. Its seems to be all or nothing for him. Witness his near pathological dislike of Sir Percy…

Nothing wrong about going against the crowd but if its Thursday theres not point in saying ist friday is there?

i wouldnt mind if (like johnjd has) posted reasonable doubts or reasoning for his views, but frankly, he hasnt

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

I wouldn’t give the man a second thought; he rates Kauto Star slower than Beef Or Salmon, yet believes My Way De Solzen is pretty much unbeatable (even against older horses) over two miles and that Afsoun was beaten last year by ‘the best crop of juvenile hurdlers in decades’.

If memory serves Afsoun was beaten in the Triumph by Detorit City (fair comment), Fair Along (fairish comment), Blazing Bailey (whoooooo) and Pace Shot (god almighty).

There’s going against the grain with something to back up your opinions, an edge nobody else has, and there’s Mordin, who just says the opposite to everyone else for the hell of it. Following the flock in this case might not make you rich, but it won’t make you poor.

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

Because KS beat BoS in a canter and is still improving. When one athlete beats another by half a lap, it is difficult to argue that the beaten athlete is actually the faster of the two, particularly when the winning athlete was not extended and has scope to get even faster.

But, in doing so, did he he manage a better speed rating than BoS’s best? Topspeed says no, and so, apparantly, does Mordin. That’s the simple point.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.