The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Newcastle plans for AW approved by BHA

Home Forums Horse Racing Newcastle plans for AW approved by BHA

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Racing Post News Link

Mixed feelings on this one. There is a need for an AW track in the north and it has been pondered with for some time, however, I cannot see the continuation of the likes of the Northumberland plate on now Tapeta going down all that well, likewise the Chipchase stakes.

Thoughts? Do people think it will be missed as a turf track? Do you even think there is a need for a new AW track?

Participant
    • Total Posts 942

For me If we have to have an AW track in the north it should be Catterick as it doesn’t have the same emotional attachment or heritage that Newcastle’s turf track.

Does this decision blow Catterick’s plans out the water?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1592

I just hope it doesn’t mean much smaller fields at say Kempton or Lingfield during the winter. I cant get into the class 2 and below NH races, so I rely on these AW tracks to keep me buzzing along.
    This quote by Nick Rust on the RP website has eased some of those concerns:

“This approval should not, however, be taken as an indication of a significant expansion in the number of all-weather fixtures or indeed an increase in the fixture list overall in the short term.

“All-weather racing has an important part to play, but its future role and scale within British racing requires careful consideration, and we must ensure that there is an appropriate balance within the fixture list.”

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

It’s a bit pedantic to say Southwell isn’t the North, yes technically it’s the Midlands but it’s as close to the North border as you can get.

I wonder if Southwell can survive the onset of Catterick and Newcastle.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31540

I don’t think Newcastle’s turf track will be missed by those who do not go racing there. Am only interested in one day, Northumberland Plate. But that comes hot on the heels of Royal Ascot where there’s plenty of other 2m+ handicaps. Not that I wish to see another AW track, North’s trainers do need one; are they to have two? :unsure:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 31540

I just hope it doesn’t mean much smaller fields at say Kempton or Lingfield during the winter. I cant get into the class 2 and below NH races, so I rely on these AW tracks to keep me buzzing along.
    This quote by Nick Rust on the RP website has eased some of those concerns:

“This approval should not, however, be taken as an indication of a significant expansion in the number of all-weather fixtures or indeed an increase in the fixture list overall in the short term.

“All-weather racing has an important part to play, but its future role and scale within British racing requires careful consideration, and we must ensure that there is an appropriate balance within the fixture list.”

All depends on your definition of “significant expansion” and “appropriate balance” is. Those words seem to suggest there will be more AW racing at the expense of Turf…

…And not a word about the quality.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3361

I don’t think Newcastle’s turf track will be missed by those who do not go racing there. Am only interested in one day, Northumberland Plate. But that comes hot on the heels of Royal Ascot where there’s plenty of other 2m+ handicaps.

What odd comments :scratch:

Would have thought the vast majority against replacing the turf were not regulars there.

Think you need to look at the bigger picture Gingertipster rather than just your own interests.

What are all these 2m+ handicaps at Royal Ascot?? As far as I can see there is only the Ascot Stakes over 2 and a half miles with a top rating of only 95.

At least Rust & Co have set their stall out.

The game is going to the dogs.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

I have just read this ridiculous nonsense that because one race has to be over a mile that the racing will have to start during daylight, which in effect blows Newcastle having late evening racing in November, December and January.

They will have to start at 3.30 technically in winter which is pointless and looks bloody stupid or they will have to run a race or two then have a few hours gap to the next.

What a farce.

Oh and of course let’s come to the real reason for this, ARC dominate the all weather tracks in the UK with Kempton spoiling their party, to have Catterick muscle in on their virtual monopoly was never going to happen, At The Races survives on all weather and Irish and pushing Catterick out of the way will keep their dominance in the all weather racing stakes and ensure their survival.

With the Irish Racing tv rights coming up for renewal in 18 months time again and then they renewal of most uk tv rights due in 2018 At The Races may need all the all weather it can get.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Can only agree with steveh31, ARC racing must be rubbing their hands in being able to stage even more betting shop drivel day after day. Another nail in the coffin for having decent racing.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

Can only agree with steveh31, ARC racing must be rubbing their hands in being able to stage even more betting shop drivel day after day. Another nail in the coffin for having decent racing.

Simply on Monday ARC were given a stark choice from Catterick and had to make an instant decision:

1)Abandon the Newcastle plans let Catterick in and lose floodlight meetings from Wolverhampton.
    2)Look at an alternative venue in the north, which basically would have been Sedgefield or Doncaster.
    Sedgefield no way, Doncaster no way as it is located on common ground and the legal implications of digging up Town Moor would have gone on many decades also they only rent Doncaster racecourse on a lease they do not own it, so this was a non starter so Newcastle was the only one left.
    3) Buy a racecourse ie Redcar, Beverley, Pontefract etc, would take too long and planning permission would have been needed
    4) Buy Catterick
    5) Agree to what the BHB say and start racing in the daylight and get the track built ahead of Catterick and fight the BHA over their one mile plus rule later when it’s all up and running.

If anyone thinks this is other than ARC keeping their business profitable and keeping the competition out then you are blind, people who say why Newcastle I will say to you where else can ARC build it they don’t own any other raceourses in Northern England except Newcastle and Sedgefield.

tony321
    Participant
    • Total Posts 368

Another track ruined and we can look forward to 4 or 5 runner dross , far too much AW fixtures now for the horse population to cope now without more.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

For me If we have to have an AW track in the north it should be Catterick as it doesn’t have the same emotional attachment or heritage that Newcastle’s turf track.

Does this decision blow Catterick’s plans out the water?

Catterick all weather plans will go ahead:

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/racing-headlines/catterick-on-course-for-all-weather-track-despite-rivals-plan-1-7301493

The victims in all this will be Southwell, I can’t see it surviving two new All weather tracks, plus one more flood and I think that will be that.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they announced Southwell was closing the minute the new Newcastle is declared fit to race unless they just made it a jumps track and a spare all weather if something goes wrong with Wolverhampton or Newcastle.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31540

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gingertipster wrote:</div>
    I don’t think Newcastle’s turf track will be missed by those who do not go racing there. Am only interested in one day, Northumberland Plate. But that comes hot on the heels of Royal Ascot where there’s plenty of other 2m+ handicaps.

What odd comments :scratch:

Would have thought the vast majority against replacing the turf were not regulars there.

Think you need to look at the bigger picture Gingertipster rather than just your own interests.

What are all these 2m+ handicaps at Royal Ascot?? As far as I can see there is only the Ascot Stakes over 2 and a half miles with a top rating of only 95.

At least Rust & Co have set their stall out.

The game is going to the dogs.

Apologies Yeats, was in a bit of a rush when typing that. What I meant to say was “But that comes hot on the heels of Royal Ascot where there’s plenty of other 2m+ competitive races” (not handicaps). ie Ascot Stakes (2m4f handicap) Queens Vase (2m 3year olds), Gold Cup (2m4f Group 1) and Queen Alexandra (2m5f110y conditions older horses). So unlike many other times of year – although there is only one handicap, it does come at a time when (for the punter) there are plenty of other good class, competitive 2 miles+ races around.

As I said – for the good of racing – am not in favour of any replacement of turf by AW, but can understand Northern owners and trainers wanting an AW alterntive. It would be nice – if a Northern track got AW then Kempton could return to turf – but that is not going to happen. However, if (that’s “IF”) a racecourse has to be unturfed – I personally (and of course it is only a personal “interest” thing) would not miss Newcastle as much as I would many other Northern alternatives. But please do not think I am in favour of it.

Hope I’ve now made my position clear. Sorry for any confusion Yeats.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 580

Bit late now but could Newcastle have not installed the Tapeta along the running line of the current steeplechase course, move the chase course to the current hurdle track and leave the turf flat track for flat and hurdles.

That way the Plate (and other feature races – although are there many left?!) could be run on Turf with the majority of the low grade sh*te transferred to Tapeta (thus not overworking the turf track).

That way, traditionalists could have kept the turf track while ARC would get their All weather (the saving in installing a smaller Tapeta track offsets the cost of floodlighting the whole circuit) – which would have removed the whole “too many mile races” issue – and the track itself gets the badly needed investment.

As regards the current situation, Nick Rust appears to have shown he is little more then a puppet for the ARC/bookie corporations and I suspect Southwell will be in big trouble as ARC have Wolvo to cover the Midlands AW geographic. Also suspect Yarmouth may be ripe for development and Bath will be sweating also.

Worrying times!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2253

I live fairly near Newcastle and have often debated visiting the track.

However if they turn it into a dreadful all weather track I wouldn’t be interested in the slightest. Depressing.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

I’ve just read that they are going to be playing golf in the middle of a race meeting at the course.
    You can just imagine the spotlight – Going well, leading 1f out, hit on head with golf ball.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

I’ve just read that they are going to have a golf course in the middle with the track around it.
    You can just imagine the spotlight – Going well, leading 1f out, hit on head with golf ball.

This happened some time ago at Sandown a jockey was hit by a golf ball when racing on the 5 furlong sprint course

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.