The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

National Disgrace

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

The way the prices of the most fancied half dozen ALL shorten in the few minutes before the off defies mathematics (apart from the corporate mathematics of the major bookmaking firms) and is disgraceful.

Anyone with any ideas on how it occurs? Surely it’s not just a simple matter of the offices sending money on course. If they were backing one or two then the others would lengthen surely?

I’m sure the once a year punter doesn’t really understand or care about it if they’ve backed the winner but it is on eof those rare items that really annoys me.

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5109

Quote: from cormack15 on 4:12 pm on April 14, 2007[br]<br>I’m sure the once a year punter doesn’t really understand

…and that’s why it’s done, cos they know they can get away with it. Not infrequent in big saturday handicaps generally and not necessarily office money but simply those on course shortening the odds and pulling in the fiver EW cash regardless.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Thought the thread was going to refer to the start!<br>The flag men in their white coats looked hilarious- couldn’t someone sponsor them for a pair of shades so they could see the  horses galloping at them?

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Will the racing  journo’s make   the  "National Disgrace"  front/back  page news

Doubt it

<br>

heffo
    • Total Posts 319

how many finishers anyone?

rolandroland
    • Total Posts 302

13 i think

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Some poor unfortunate had 20k on a spread at 16+. Ouch.

I was surprised so few finished, I’d have made the spread about 18/20 pre race.

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

The over-round of 152% is the highest I can ever remember. The fortunes the big bookmakers have lavished on entertaining the repulsive Lord Donoghue has certainly been repaid here.

Unbelievable that the man walks free, with no inquiry into his disgraceful conduct. Then again nothing surpises me about this corrupt government.

Nice to see Ladbrokes orchestrate a chalk move to leverage that goat Monkerhostin into joint jolly. Nothing like fleecing once a year punters good and proper.

With Barney Curley’s creature recoverring from whatever it was that stopped him running on Monday, it’s been a day that’s another shocking shop window for the sport.

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Not a debate I like to join in generally, but mug punters are being treated like……um, mug punters. Poor show nonetheless.

Alderbrook
    • Total Posts 349

Monkerhostin 8/1 on course.  Mostly around 12/1 but even hit 14/1 on bf at the same time.

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

How anyone in power can let this continue is beyond me, but i suppose they’ll turn a blind eye while ever they are getting their slice of the cake

<br>Corrupt connections rip off people in a minute way compared to these fiddlers

(Edited by empty wallet at 7:42 am on April 15, 2007)

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

They’ll probably argue that the money being placed is sufficient to cut the horse(s) in question. The filthy, lying b@st@rds. It would be enough to cut a horse in a bloody selling hurdle, not the National!

However, I’m not sure about this Monkerhostin gamble being completely false. It’s a bit dangerous cutting a half decent horse like that. Gallant Approach, 100s into 33s, now there was a false move to lure the diddy punters in! That also happens every year, a rag comes from 100/1 plus into 33s or so. Last year’s was utterly comical- Shotgun Willy; should have added a ‘0’ when he was 200/1!<br>

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I got the Missus 14/1 on Monkerhostin just before the off on Betfair .. where did 8/1 come from ?

152% :o

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

Anyone who bets at SP is more or less making the statement that they are only betting for fun. Nothing wrong with that except bookmakers will treat such fun betting customers in the same way that many taxi drivers treat tourists; they will overcharge them mercilessly knowing that very few will complain.

There is no answer to this, it’s just a fact of commercial life. All we(the forum) can do is try to educate people into always striking bets at a price unless for some valid reason you expect the SP to be better. It’s no good always taking morning prices because the bookmakers are one step ahead in that department, generally offering about the same over-rounds as SPs, often worse.  

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Artemis, with all due respect, I think the collusion between the government (paid for by the tax payer) and big bookies (privately owned commercial enterprises) is absolutely shocking.

.. from a personal point of view, it shows how corrupt the game is .. starting with the Gangsters making up the framework for operations right at the top.

Greedy bookies, trying to run racing like a 50’s fairground is one thing, the government joining in is quite something else.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.