The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Nanton

Home Forums Horse Racing Nanton

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Just wanted to give praise to one of the most deserving horses in training…and one of the most unluckiest! Nanton, since joining Jim Goldie, has been placed in no less than 5 of the biggest handicaps of the Turf season!

He was 2nd in the Cambridgeshire last October (66-1) over 1m 1f.
    This season his tale of bad luck reads:-
    2nd in Zetland Gold Cup (12-1) over 1m 2f
    4th in Royal Hunt Cup (16-1) over 1m
    2nd in a £65k Heritage Handicap at Haydock (16-1) over 1m2f
    4th in Ebor Handicap (40-1) over 1m 6f.

I, for one, will be wishing he gets his head in front before the season is out! Surely there are few more deserving!

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

And now he is to be lined up for running in both the Cambridgshire and the Cesarewitch.

Now that will be some training feat but he could sneak into some place money if he is on song.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Am I correct in saying those two races are the autumn double? Has any trainer ever won both in same year? For a horse to do it would be unbelievable!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

Was actually just going to ask about these two races as he seems to be 33/1 for both. Is he likely to run in both of them? Can’t resist a small ew if he is!

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

a small double might be worth it for fun. Which race comes first the cambridgeshire or the cesarewitch? If its the cambridgeshire then I imagine if Nanton is placed or wins it then the urge to go for the Ces will be huge!

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

At last Nanton has got the deserved big handicap victory he so richly deserved. How on earth did he go off 12-1? I’m not complaining, I kept the faith and was nicely rewarded. Now for the most audacious double attempt in racing…The Autumn Double!

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Just tried to place a double on Nanton for the Autumn double…and my online ladbrokes account cant cope with the fact I am choosing to back the same horse, albeit in two different races. It is telling me I have already chosen that horse, lol! I will have to pop down my local shop to get this double on I think! for the record its 20-1 and 14-1 for the Camb and Ces respectively.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

It could happen, you never know and these big handicaps bring out the best in him.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

At last Nanton has got the deserved big handicap victory he so richly deserved. How on earth did he go off 12-1? I’m not complaining, I kept the faith and was nicely rewarded. Now for the most audacious double attempt in racing…The Autumn Double!

Up 9lbs for his Ebor run would explain it :wink:

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Up 9lbs for his Ebor run would explain it :wink:

Up 5lb I believe. Careful with your double btw; it will be deemed a related contingency, despite the fact that the races are so different in nature.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1921

They might give a special price for him to do the double I guess.

IIRC I did something similar with Kendal Cavalier a few years back for the Welsh/Aintree National.

Unfortunately he wasn’t up to the task at Aintree although he ran creditably.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Rory, what is a related contingency?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

I hope Rory doesn’t mind me answering this one Douginho.

Related contingency is where one bet effects another.

For example – you want to back Nanton @ 20/1 for the Cambridgeshire and Nanton @ 25/1 for the Cesarewich.

One part of the bet effects the other – should Nanton win the Cambridgeshire he will no longer be a 25/1 chance for the Ces. As such the bookmaker should be able to quote a special price for the double.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

A related contingency is where the result of one event is deemed likely to affect the outcome of another. i.e. if Nanton shows himself to be well enough handicapped to win the Cambridgeshire, his chances of winning the Cesarewitch are probably also more likely. Therefore the outcome of the first event affects the price of the second so bookmakers don’t offer fixed multiple prices for related contingencies.

It’s like backing England to win the World Cup and Rooney to be top Goal scorer in the tournament. The further England progress, the more goals Rooney is likely to score, so the outcome of the 2 events are related.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Cheers lads. As you can see from David’s example, it’s very dubious that winning the Cambridgeshire would actually enhance Nanton’s chances of winning the Cesarewitch in the same way as the footie example, but that’s how the bet would be viewed.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Cheers guys, it makes sense. I might just place a single at best price for Camb and then shop around for a larger single for the Ces…should the horse win or place.

Or I could just watch the races and hope the horse achieves arguably one of the greatest doubles of all time!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

Just back from me hols; unable to have bets whilst away but did get to watch Nanton winning [hurrah!]. Had my tiny ew on him for the Cambridgeshire and Cesarewitch plus an ew double before I went away [25/1 and 33/1; only bookies I could get to that day was a Betfred so the prices weren’t too good]. However, not bothered about all that really, just glad to see him win a big one.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.