The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

MYSTERY SHOPPERS

Home Forums Lounge MYSTERY SHOPPERS

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    wakeman
    • Total Posts 434

Attention all employees who work in the Bookmaking Industry.

What are your opinions on Mystery Shoppers, i have mine and i will be willing to share at somepoint.

Cheers in anticipation.

Adrian.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Come again??????

wakeman
    • Total Posts 434

Apologies David i did not make myself very clear :oops: although at least Mansun is on the case :)

Cheers again.

Adrian.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Wakeman,

I believe you also work for Hills, and so the company who sends round these mystery shoppers is Retail Eyes. Basically, without going into too much detail, I often find those they send in poorly-briefed about what they are to assess and how they are to assess it, and one’s mark received can vary wildly hinged merely upon the client’s perception of his company’s vague rules. Furthermore, I’ve also seen reports sent to the wrong shops!

Lost of big businesses make claims in their multi million pound marketing campaigns which bear no relation to the actual level of customer service and satisfaction being experienced by the end user. In short, they lie.

So in this respect I like the idea of "mystery shoppers" proving that these big corporations are not providing the service levels they claim.

Just to put you straight mansun, mystery shoppers are hired by the companies themselves, and are an entirely internal issue. They are not a government watchdog (a ‘Service Police’ if you will) who go around on a vigilante mission to prove that betting shop staff give piss poor customer service. They are actually put there by ‘The Bosses’ to keep staff on their toes and ensure that the high standards the firms set are being met.

wakeman
    • Total Posts 434

Hi Friggo, i agree with what you say, we have had some right Muppets come to our shop recently, i myself don’t really have a lot of time for them, not saying that i treat them bad, i even had the honour of dealing with one on National Day of all days a couple of years ago.

The shop i work in is not the biggest by anymeans and needs a few things doing to it and with all this marketing stuff that keeps winding it’s way to us you haven’t the room to swing a cat on occasions, let alone display all of it and to me they don’t take this in to account.

Cheers again.

Adrian.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I think you’re absolutely spot-on Adrian. The application of a little common sense would reveal that you do not make your visit on National Saturday in order to form a fair assessment of the staff’s day-to-day levels off customer service and that you have to accept that documentation/marketing will likely be squeezed into any little corner it can be in a small shop.

But I suppose "if you pay peanuts.." and all that. :)

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

My wife is the manager of one of the big three’s shops in Scotland.

She can spot the "mystery shopper" a mile off.

A necessary annoyance, as she puts it. :lol: Keeps them on their toes apparrently – though, as I point out, they (the staff) sit most of the day.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Yes Himself, the mystery shopper is possibly one of the least stealthy species to grace this earth. I mean, you don’t get too many people who are interested in Gamcare AND Citizen cards, do you? :lol:

Like most zany utopian initiatives dreamt up by those All-Bar-One frequenting helmets that call themselves ‘Executives’ (capital E added by them), it’s all far too self-defeating in practice. :wink:

chloed
    • Total Posts 433

its mystery punter not shopper, the high st bookies have been doing it for at least 30 years,as himself says they stand out a mile,usually ask you to explain a tote placepot or how many trebles in 15 horses.
    same silly practice as the secret bet was, to see what slips the competition was doing , place a bet on a particular till and seven days later same time,same till place another one

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.