The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

My local Ladbrokes…..

Home Forums Lounge My local Ladbrokes…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Lovely Lady
    • Total Posts 160

…is now open from 8 am for the Australian racing.   Who ever wants to bet at that unearthly hour…  anything to get  your money.

I also hear that from next year we’ll be racing on Good Friday….can we not get a day off anymore? …what will the Pope say..

Sacre bleu !

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

On top of all this, night racing (and hence 9:30PM closing times) will be on year-round from April 1st.

The 8AM openings are aimed mostly at city centre shops I believe, so folk can have a bet before work. The Australian greyhounds is just an excuse for live racing at that time.

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

I suspect that they are really opening early in order to allow the punters to play the FOBT’s.

Good Friday is a public holiday so I don’t mind if racing takes place on it. I think that there should be more non racing days on mondays as the standard is normally quite awful and it would be good to have a break from racing occasionally imo.

I didn’t know the Pope was french:biggrin:

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

The FOBT’s are indeed very popular, and profitable. I remember one Saturday the Hills that I work in, which is a Grade C on their A-F scale, made £3000 profit on FOBT’s alone!

Watch out as well in future for £500 slot machines, which recent legislation has allowed into bookies.

Another thing about Ladbrokes opening at 8AM is that they know other rivals, especially Hills, are more reluctant to open early, thus they can get a free reign. The way this is going, they’ll never get anybody to work in their offices, and profits will fall. I give 8AM openings, and definitely 365 night racing, a limited shelf life.

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

The greatest concern is for the Shop workers, their wages ain’t exactly handsome, now it wouldn’t surprise me if the Big bookies, like Ladbrokes, will FORCE employees take on extended, unsocial hours for miniscule reward….B*******!

It also wouldn’t surprise me that the B’s enforce a NO UNION policy as well, which will leave them out in the cold…

Where is Karl Marx when you need him :)

Political Rant over…

regards,

doyley

Chubs
    • Total Posts 67

L L<br>its all about getting people through that front door and punt on anything that moves

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I think it is extremely charitable of the big bookmakers that because they pay so little, they are at least kind enough to make their staff work such long hours, that they don’t have the time to spend their cash.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

The shop staff can leave if they don’t like the hours can’t they?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

9.30 to 9.30 openning begins this April and shock horror i’m led to believe it won’t stop.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

For those enquiring about wages; for Hills it’s ~£5.60/h for cashiers, ~£9/h for managers. Ladbrokes will be around about the same, it scares me how tit-for-tat the big two can be with each other sometimes!

@ Insomniac: Yes they can, but many have spent most or all of their working lives in the bookies. They shouldn’t be suffering for a move that is likely to increase profit margins only by the tiniest amount, and that has bugger-all effect on those that implemented such a decision. There are many in the shops now stating their intention to leave, so in the short term there could be a major staffing shortage.

But like I say, I fully reckon that in smaller shops, staff wages plus electricity/heating etc will outweigh the money that that shop makes of a cold November evening, so I don’t believe that this move will exist in it’s current guise for too long.

FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Jeez, Ladbrokes don’t have get some stick on here! I tell you, I’m in fear of getting sacked for opening my mouth on here too!

Firstly, certain shops are opening at 8AM under the smokescreen of showing Australian racing. But lets be hoest about it, how many customers come into a shop at 8:00 to bet on Australian racing? The real aim is to get people in the shops and on the terminals. Its convenient for the weekend punter who may like to bet during the week but can’t as well. For instance if he is in an office job 9-5 he can pop in BEFORE he goes to work to put his bets on. Great, where will he go to put his bets on at the weekend? Ladbrokes.

doyley: "The greatest concern is for the Shop workers, their wages ain’t exactly handsome, now it wouldn’t surprise me if the Big bookies, like Ladbrokes, will FORCE employees take on extended, unsocial hours for miniscule reward….B*******!"

Yeah you’re right the wages aren’t exactly handsome. I get £5.40 an hour, double on Sundays and bank holidays. But I tell you mate, I aint getting out of bed early and if they tell me am they will get a rude awakening! At the moment, its optional and I don’t think they are stupid enough to try and make it compulsory.

And whoever said 9:30 to 9:30 is the modus operandi now, yeah your right, most shops will be opening to those times in the winter. The shops that make money at this time will remain open, the ones that don’t will just close at 6:30.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

What you also have to remember, FSL, is that with 14-hour a day opening, that means 91 hours a week opening. Assuming some management staff leave, disgruntled, there is no way that at first there will be sufficient numbers of ‘trained’ managers. Although I think they may have spotted this, as the amount of ‘Grade 3’ (Deputy Manager) courses running has increased a fair bit these past couple of months. Strange that. They can’t be arsed doing it normally, but now that they need to to keep making money…

Greedy b*****ds, basically.

• Total Posts 2065

You work for Hills Friggo? (careful lol)

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Yeah, seasonal. Work there when I’m home from Uni.

I’m in Edinburgh, which I believe is where you live (from the Glory, Glory thread).

• Total Posts 2065

Yeah, I work for Ladbrokes seasonally when home from Edinburgh uni also.

Ladbrokes are a little short-staffed as it is, I don’t think they could deal with any resignations.

And as for Hills, well, they aint my favourite shop.:cool:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.