The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

National Stakes 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion National Stakes 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

(3:50) 251C Ladbrokes.com Vincent O’Brien National S (Group 1) €140,100.00 ( 7f – 2yo )[MAX 30] RRFrm

30622 1 Air Chief Marshal (APO’Brien) – ……. (110)
    23111 2 Alfred Nobel (APO’Brien) – . ………….. (112)
    1 3 Await The Dawn (USA) (APO’Brien) ………
    24351 4 Beethoven (APO’Brien) – . …………….. (103)
    4211 5 Black Quartz (FR) (APO’Brien) – . ….. (101)
    111 6 Cape Blanco (APO’Brien) – …………… (106)
    1 7 Chabal (JSBolger) – ………………………………
    3126 8 Emperor Claudius (USA) (APO’Brien) – . ………………….
    5 9 Free Judgement (USA) (JSBolger) ………..
    1 10 Kingsfort (USA) (KPrendergast) – . …………
    8 11 Lastofthemohicans (FR) (APO’Brien) – . ………………….
    1 12 Lord High Admiral (APO’Brien) – . ………….
    13 Poet’s Voice (GB) (SBSuroor (in GB)) – ……………………………..
    33 14 Purple Heart (APO’Brien) – . …………………..
    26988 15 Reggae Dancer (APO’Brien) – . ……….. (73)
    3 16 Senior (GB) (ELynam) – . ……………………….
    21 17 Stunning View (DKWeld) – . …………………..
    311 18 Viscount Nelson (USA) (APO’Brien). (106)

Ballydoyle look to hold a very strong hand here as usual. Hard to know what to make of this race until we get the decs later on in the week. Hopefully it will give us an indication as to how strong the Irish 2yo form is. I liked the way Chabal shaped at Leopardstown on Saturday and I suspect he might be quite decent. Bolger has won this twice in the last three years with sons of Galileo.

wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

After seeing what i can only describe as AOB run out in the Champagne stakes just 3 British runner left in after the forfeit stage and AOB has 7.

This looks a competitve renewal.

Kingsfort and Stunning View will put it up to whoever Ballydoyle throw at them.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Agree with Wallace.

Of the O’Brien horses, I’d like to have an ante-post bet for Await The Dawn for the Guineas, but he ain’t in the market.

You know how I can’t resist a big price? Have just had £2 @ 210 Emperor Claudius (Guineas), so I am hoping for a big run wherever he runs. Me and Bulwark are the Official Racing Forum Giant’s Causeway Fan Club.

On another issue, several top class 2yos such as Arcano, Azmeel, Lillie Langtry, Steinbeck have entries in the Sales Races. If you were the owner/trainer of one of these, would you run it in a Pattern Race, or go for the dough? Gosden had a quick complaint about British prize money at York, so I’d have thought it would make sense for him to run Azmeel in the Goffs Million Mile, rather than the Royal Lodge.

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5552

Go for the pot!

If the horse is any good he’ll get his black type later anyway.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

On another issue, several top class 2yos such as Arcano, Azmeel, Lillie Langtry, Steinbeck have entries in the Sales Races. If you were the owner/trainer of one of these, would you run it in a Pattern Race, or go for the dough? Gosden had a quick complaint about British prize money at York, so I’d have thought it would make sense for him to run Azmeel in the Goffs Million Mile, rather than the Royal Lodge.

Cockney Rebel was 2nd in the 6f Sales race at York before being 3rd in the Champagne.

wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

The only trainer i can say doesnt go for Sales race in my knowledge is Ballydoyle.

They have never put there best horses in these races….They usually try the tried and tested route of the Pattern Races.

Regarding Await the Dawn he certain to be up amongst the top Ballydoyle Animals….was soo impressed with his debut in fact i think he was the most impressive debut winner this year as the top 2 came about 20l away from the rest even if they were desperate.

Emperor Claudis looks a sort of Air Chief Marshall animal….both of them ran in Hot English 2yr old races to get a hold on the form of the English animals

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Emperor Claudius looks a sort of Air Chief Marshall animal….both of them ran in Hot English 2yr old races to get a hold on the form of the English animals

Oh well, its only two cans of lager.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

. . . and Stunning View!

Maybe the Heavy going at the moment at the Curragh also had something to do with the decision

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

The owner’s pretty small time it looks like, Gerald, so perhaps it makes fiscal sense for them to run him in the Goffs. After all, prize money for 2yos in Group 1s is pretty poor.

wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

Dr Lambe has a big number of Horses in Training but Zarkava is right in the scheme of things he is pretty small guy.

Fair play to him though not many men have 20+ Horses in training.

It looks only Kingsfort will provide any opposition.

The Conditions are desperate though…i live 5 yard basically from the course and its like something out of the Amazon Jungle during Rainy Season…its shocking ground for any horse to run in.

I think either they seriously look at moving most of the flat Fixtures to Dundalk when the Ground is basically unraceble or invest in a big giant Sheet to cover the whole course and protect it from brutish rainfall.

I not sure that if i owned any horse sired other than Danehill Dancer that i would be willing to put out in those shocking conditions.

Wait till you see the Goffs Million final Decs if the ground is good….the form will be stronger than any Group 1 in Ireland. Tommy Stack has a very good bunch of 2yr olds and there all be aimed at that race meeting…..Even Bolger has barely put out a 2yr old more than twice.

Dreadful times

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

Dr Lambe has a big number of Horses in Training but Zarkava is right in the scheme of things he is pretty small guy.

Fair play to him though not many men have 20+ Horses in training.

Dr Lambe has a good few horses in training with Jim Culloty now. Culloty himself went ages without a winner before Shela House bolted up there last week. He seems to be picking up a few of DK Weld’s cast offs now as well, Zeroberto being the most high profile.

The Conditions are desperate though…i live 5 yard basically from the course and its like something out of the Amazon Jungle during Rainy Season…its shocking ground for any horse to run in.

I think either they seriously look at moving most of the flat Fixtures to Dundalk when the Ground is basically unraceble or invest in a big giant Sheet to cover the whole course and protect it from brutish rainfall.

They really have made sh1te of the ground on the straight course at the Curragh through years of artificial watering. The real pity when the redevelopment was put on the back-burner was that nothing will be done about sorting the track itself out for another ten years or so.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Gosden had a quick complaint about British prize money at York, so I’d have thought it would make sense for him to run Azmeel in the Goffs Million Mile, rather than the Royal Lodge.

I’m sometimes good – starting a Cumani thread the day before he has a treble, and it is now reported that Azmeel will go for the Goffs Million, with the Royal Lodge now the alternative.

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

(3:50) 251C Ladbrokes.com Vincent O’Brien
    National S (Group 1) €150,100.00 ( 7f – 2yo )

1 2 Air Chief Marshal(110) (APO’Brien) – . .. 9,01
    2 5 Alfred Nobel(112) (APO’Brien) – . ………. 9,01
    3 3 Beethoven(103) (APO’Brien) – . …………. 9,01
    4 1 Chabal (JSBolger) – KJManning ………… 9,01
    5 4 Kingsfort (USA) (KPrendergast) – DPMcDonogh ……….. 9,01
    6 6 Senior (GB) (ELynam) – PJSmullen……. 9,01

6 declared. Ballydoyle yet to confirm their riding arrangements. Chabal makes a quick reappearance after winning his maiden at Leopardstown last weekend.

Ground is currently soft on the round course and soft to heavy on the straight at the Curragh. The sun has made a long awaited appearance this morning though so it should dry out a bit over the course of today.

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5552

Chabal, Kingsfort and Alfred Noble are all very interesting 2yo’s. It syas alot about Chabal that Jim Bolger is throwing him into Group 1 company a week after his maiden win.

wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

Yup a very good race in store.

While quite a few trainers have bypassed the race….i think these are potentially the next wave of very smart Irish 2yr old colts.

I must say after Royal Ascot i was worried but now the scene is looking much more rosey for both sex’s.

I think its between the Top 2 in the market….while Alfred Nobel just doesnt strike me as a Top Class horse he has won the tried and tested route for AOB top horses.

However I am delighted to see that Kevin Prendergast has some serious 2yr olds in his squad. I am going to stick with this animal….while Alfred Nobel won the Phoneix Stakes running against stable mates, there will be no such luxury here. Hopefully the Enforcer can get Kingsfort up for a well deserved victory.

I am not sure who the owner is but i believe he is american…but i am prob wrong. Hopefully he wont be bought up by one of the Arabs which is quite possible as there also eying up Artic too.

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

However I am delighted to see that Kevin Prendergast has some serious 2yr olds in his squad. I am going to stick with this animal….while Alfred Nobel won the Phoneix Stakes running against stable mates, there will be no such luxury here.

Hopefully the Enforcer can get Kingsfort up for a well deserved victory.

"The Enforcer" wally? Are you Matt Chapman in disguise! :lol:

Seriously though, it is great to see Deccie and Prendergast going well. Hopefully these 2yos will fulfill their potential over the next year. I was sure Prendergast was set for a big season a few years ago but neither Haatef nor Miss Beatrix seemed to train on.

That Chabal must be sparkling on the gallops down at Coolcullen if Bolger is pitching him in here.

wallace-no7
    • Total Posts 1511

Although a big fan of Matt Chapman i must say i not him :shock:.

Yup it is very good to have another trainer up there with O Brien. All we need now is Dermot Weld to get a few decent animals of Moyglare and we are sorted also a few decent Aga Khan horse for Oxx wouldnt go astray.

I wouldnt say Chabal has been working out of his skin i would say its Bolger doing a Bolger and really seeing how good he is however it could backfire but he should be booked for 3rd place regardless.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.