The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Murphy

Home Forums Horse Racing Murphy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Fallonman
    • Total Posts 35

Once again Timmy Murphy is up before the rulers regarding the ride he gave Go Commercial for his retainer David Johnson at Perth recently.<br>I watched the race and thought the horse wasn’t going at any time but also thought that if he doesn’t make more effort the stewards would have him and they did.<br>After the enquiry today Murphy said he gave the horse the best ride he could and in future if he has to flap around in order to safeguard his interests then he would.<br>It’s always a fine line but if he had hit the horse a dozen times I dont think it would have finished any closer.<br>Time to rewrite the rule???

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

The NH stewards seem to be watching out for Murphy and have had him in for rides on Haringey and Oasis Banus under the non triers rules in addition to Go Commercial.<br>The first has ability and its problem was put down to breathing problems notwithstanding the patient training methods of H Knight and the long term view she takes of her charges.<br>The other two showed nothing and have been shipped from Pipe to Montieth , although interestingly top owner Johnson has retained them .<br>If I remember correctly, Go Commercial has never been closer than 12th for Pipe.<br>It may be that they are being lined up for a massive punt or that they are simply slowboats but I agree that Go Commercial was never going in the race.<br>I am a fan of Murphy and the way he has changed from his own whip prone days to a patient style.All you can ask of any jockey is they put the horse in the race at some point if it has the ability.<br>It’s a shame if NH stewards want horses to have forcing rides off the front with liberal use of the stick. Bet McCoy and Johnson aren’t done for not trying.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Agree with most of what Lingfield says here – I’ve never been a fan of genuine, sympathetic horsemen getting done for striving to get the best out of their mounts by means other than thrashing away.

Might also be worth pointing out that the Perth stewards appear to be pretty partial to handing out non-trier or not-attaining-best-position penalties – Dominic Elsworth and Claire Metcalfe had already fallen foul of the stewards before Murphy this summer.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

(Edited by graysonscolumn at 11:08 am on Oct. 4, 2006)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I’m not particularly a fan of riders failing to put a horse into the race and then having to accept that ‘the rider is a genuine, sympathetic horseman’ is a valid excuse.

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

I suppose that depends on your perspectives and interests in the sport DJ.

I’m inclined to side with Graysons on this front.

But then I don’t bet (often) and my interest in this sport is from having an interest in horses.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mean that as a criticism to people who do bet or who only enjoy the sport from a betting perspective :)  just an observation.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Surely the enjoyable aspect of any sport is that contestants are all trying their hardest to win. If some competitors are happy to let others take the glory then that takes something away from it for me, whatever the sport – whether I’ve had a bet or not.

Something that declining crowds in Italina football in a testament to.

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

DJ,

So essentially what you are saying is you would rather TJM whip the horse even when he knows it won’t make any difference just so you will see with your eyes it ran it’s race??

Are you serious :angry:

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Quote: from Salselon on 3:19 pm on Oct. 4, 2006[br]DJ,

So essentially what you are saying is you would rather TJM whip the horse even when he knows it won’t make any difference just so you will see with your eyes it ran it’s race??

Are you serious :angry:

Mc Coy fans and always up for a bit of use of the stick<br>

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.