The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Mikael D’Hagunet/Cousin Vinny

Home Forums Horse Racing Mikael D’Hagunet/Cousin Vinny

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    no idea
    • Total Posts 684

I know that many will say that Mikael D’Hagunet would have won anyway, but having watched the race today and I know Ruby is a better jockey than Wiilie Mullins son, but as anybody on the Forum ever worked out how much further a horse runs when it goes around the outside as opposed to the inside in any race.

I could not help notice that Ruby stuck to the inside the whole way whilst Paddy Mullins stuck to the outer.

The losing distance was only 4 lengths and I do not think that it could have been much further.

So my question is, if the roles had been reversed and possibly jockeys would Cousin Vinny have won and if so how many extra lengths or ground did Cousin Vinny forfeit/cover.

• Total Posts 2184

Cousin Vinny being a Bob Back appreciates better ground than today’s conditions. The ground on the inside would have been well chewed up by the time of the novice race. IMO therefore, Patrick did the right thing in racing him wide on the better ground. He’s also been a bit unconvincing at his obstacles on occasion this season so by racing wide he’d have got a far better sight of each hurdle.

Punchestown is a fine big galloping track as well so any difference in distance over two miles by travelling three or four horses off the rail is minimal I’d say.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

I would agree about the jumping issues. In addition if he raced on the inside there was a fair chance Cousin Vinny may have found himself boxed in and not had the pace to get out.

• Total Posts 4293

Circumference of a circle = 2PIr
    Adding a metre to the radius adds over 6 metres to the circumference.

A minor point is that they’re not running in a circle.

Ems
    Participant
    • Total Posts 11

I thought ( and am happy to be corrected if wrong ) they measured the distance from a metre off the rail ?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I doubt it made any difference whatsoever. Jockey ride race as they come. The go for there horses at different times depending on circumstances.

If rolls had been reversed MD’s jockeymay have mooved sooner than he did if Cousin Vinny lookedlike hewas going to get a way from him and still done the same thing to him. Might even have beaten him further with no horses to come through who knows.

One things for sure MD is in a completely differnt league to CousinVinny.

hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 248

One things for sure MD is in a completely differnt league to CousinVinny.

I’ll remain unconvinced of that for a little while longer.
    Mullins this morning in interview revealed that there was very very little between the two for the past couple of weeks at home — hence the contracting of C.V.’s odds before the race.
    I believe that on firmer ground Cousin Vinny would be a stiff opponent to MK if the two were to meet again.
    Of course, it has to be factored in if MikaelD’Haguenet is open to further improvement. He probably is.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I think Mr Mullins is pulling your chain or needs to go back to the drawing board. Mickey (Can’t spell his name) is an awesome horse whereas CV is a complete bore who runs the same race about every time he goes racing. He comes there looks a danger then keeps on at one pace…….seem familiar?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.