The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

midlands national

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion midlands national

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    vikingflagship
    Participant
    • Total Posts 915

ok onto the uttoxeter marathon now that the festival is over for another year
    who do you think will win

i like naunton brook, but my eye keeps being drawn to arnold layne whome i know nothing about?

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Arnold Layne is named after the late 60s Pink Floyd single about a transvestite they knew stole from washing lines in their locality.

I was present to see the gelding win a Men’s Open point-to-point at Dingley last Easter (for Gerard Bailey, husband of current named trainer Caroline), and he’s since confirmed the impression he gave that day of being a progressive young pointer in spades, winning a Towcester handicap and a clutch of 3m5f Warwick contests.

It was the one Warwick race he didn’t win, the Totesport Classic, that might have drawn your attention by now if nothing else did, as his fall in that race was the fall that sidelined Tony McCoy.

It was an uncharacteristic fall, but did highlight the major reservation I have about him, namely that he doesn’t race as effectively for every jockey – Andrew Thornton and (between the flags) Dickie Barrett get on well with him, but he wasn’t travelling well for McCoy at the time of the departure. Mick Fitzgerald gets the ride tomorrow, and I’m not sure what to expect of the partnership.

With numerous wins around a sharp 3m5f this term, none of which saw him screaming for the line to any particular extent, I’d not be worried about the trip tomorrow, but I think I’d still like to take my cue as to how bad the ground is from the earlier contests before (p)laying. Soft at Uttoxeter can glue horses to the floor like few other venues, and I guess my contention is that Arnold Layne would probably prefer a sounder surface, or failing that, one that isn’t especially tacky.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

When Nil Desperandum ran in the race last year [sad day] didn’t the racing pundits say that The Midlands National wasn’t a good prep race for the Grand National; so does that mean that any horse running in it that are entered for Aintree are unlikely to run there?

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

I presume they meant in the recent past rather than ever, Moe, unless they’d all forgotten about Lord Gyllene running a rock-solid second in it three weeks before his Grand National win.

There don’t appear to be many Aintree aspirants in the line-up this year, realistic ones or otherwise – maybe just Flintoff.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Pretty good summary of Arnold Layne there, GC.

Maybe you could do the same for every runner in the race? 8)

Zip

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Hihihihi, I’m afraid it’s bed for me in a second, Zippy!

I’ve just got a bit of a soft spot for him, having 1) seen that pointing win before the wider world knew of him, and 2) tipped him as a horse to follow in my Racing Ahead monthly column after his Towcester win, since which he’s won three from four at a level stakes profit of 8.375pts. Not quite as big a friend to me this term as Tamarinbleu (dropped him on Thursday when it wasn’t soft enough, though) or Thehonourablelady, but not far off.

gc

wakeman
    • Total Posts 434

Morning all, i like Jeremy have a particular liking to Arnold Layne but it is apparent sometimes that a Horse for whatever reason goes better for some than others, not for one minute saying that Mikky Fitz won’t win on him but there is a small reservation on account of the above.

So for that reason i will be going in with another one at much longer odds.

I don’t usually like backing Chasers that are into the veteran stage I E 11 and over but for some reason i have been drawn to Royal Emperor and not because Sam Thomas is on it.

Cheers for now.

Adrian.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

AP :wink:

jilly
    • Total Posts 608

Flintoff and Arnold Layne for me-If my scoop 6 is still in play at 3.30 those are the two I’ll be relying on :)

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I am a fan of Naunton Brook, he’s put up some very consistent staying performances this term. Only slight concern is that his best tends to come on softer, and also as a result sooner or later one of these runs is going to bottom him. I hope it’s not today and that they take it easy with him hereafter.

jilly
    • Total Posts 608

Value Scope strike again!

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Awful run by Flintoff, wasn’t it – I’m finding him increasingly hard to predict.

I’d need to see the race a few more times before deciding whether Arnold Layne was never travelling satisfactorily enough for Mick Fitzgerald, but I suppose one other consideration might be that he didn’t appreciate having more company up front than is usually the case – most, if not all, of his wins have come in far smaller fields.

Ach well, all wise after the event I suppose.

gc

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

My deduction regarding Flintoff, apparently confirmed by today’s run, would be that his good run at Haydock is the exception rather than the rule.

I’m also confused as to Naunton Brook’s running. Perhaps they didn’t feel he’d be outpaced over 4 miles plus, and/or were protecting him after so many hard races this year. He plugged on, but lost his chance by being in rear when he came under pressure.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

Were they trying different tactics on Naunton Brook with a view to running him that way in the Grand National?….was wondering today if NTD’s horses had possibly had one race too many this year….

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

I’m also confused as to Naunton Brook’s running. Perhaps they didn’t feel he’d be outpaced over 4 miles plus.

I’m not so sure – they still saw bit to bounce him out in front when making all in the Northumberland National 16 months ago, and he found himself at the front as soon as he could get there in the Grand National itself.

I think I marginally favour the tiredness argument as much as anything, but maybe something else will come to light.

gc

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.