The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Mick’s Performances…

Home Forums Horse Racing Mick’s Performances…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

hello,

In my humble opinion, SCORPION and HITCHCOCK could have been ridden better….I didn’t back either, so no sour grapes. <br> This is a discussion point, a critique, not a slagging thread..:)

regards,

doyley

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2925

Thought it was a superb ride on Hitchcock.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I wouldn’t fault him on Scorpion. The horse has almost certainly run right up to his best in conceding weight to Maraahel and looked to lack the speed of that rival, only getting going late after coming under strong pressure a fair way out. But for Yeats, I can’t help but think he’d be campaigned as a stayer.

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hi Yeats,

I actually thought he should have won, but a stat. I found astonishing is that the O’B. Team haven’t won a Handicap at RA, so probably a close second isn’t too bad a result. :)

regards,

doyley

Galejade
    • Total Posts 185

I was surprised more use was not made of Scorpions stamina in a slowly run race on soft ground. Mick Kinane started to ride hard 3f out but if it were mine knowing that Maraahel on the book was 5 lb better of with me and that he is a bit dodgy  and possible more unsuited by the going than  mine I think I would have kicked for home much further out.

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello, DJ,

Micks handling of Scorpion on the bends could have been better…but Maraahel is a very good horse, and I look forwrad to his clash with George and Authorised in the Eclipse.

regards,

doyley

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello Galejade,

Yes, agree, but as I said earlier, Mick’s handling of the last bend could have been better, therefore giving him the opportunity to carry thru what you correctly said.

regards,

doyley

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Couldn’t really fault the Scorpion ride and didn’t see the Hitchcock race so cannot comment. I was suprised that they didn’t run a pacemaker in the Hardwicke though.

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2925

Hi Doyley

Hitchcock looked one of the first beaten to me and thought it was a tremendous effort to nearly get it up, if he had it would have been my ride of the day but I’m not keen on beaten rides for that and would give it to Spencer in the last, poetry in motion.

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

A pacemaker in a 12f race would be taking the biscuit.<br>There were only 8 horses’ in the f*c*ing thing :)

I am hurtling towards 60, my body is exactly 134 years and 6 months, but I haven’t a f*c*ing clue what a "pace maker" does<br>The way things are going, there will be a pacemaker in  sprints.

In fact I remember collecting on Carson when winning at Ascot on a 100/1 shot…some prick said,

"he was pace maker you know"

"Oh Dear ", I exclaimed, "don’t they pay out on pace makers?"

I walked somewhat cautiously to the bookie checking my horse wasn’t actually called "Pace Maker"….

regards,

doyley

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

99% of the time jockeys ride to instructions, but where Scorpion was concerned I think Mick should have took the initiative, it was obvious he was going to be tapped for toe, the 5lb pen, ultimately was his undoing.<br>As for Hitchcock the horse only got as close as he did through jockey perceverence.

FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

I did think that Scorpion should of front run, but I don’t really think you can blame him for Scorpion not winning. Scorpion was staying on best at the end but seemed to get done for speed, it wasn’t the jockey’s fault it didn’t  pick up. (and i did back it!)

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I think Scorpion is a bit of a nut job .. inconsistency incarnate, he may never win another race.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

I think Scorpion is a bit of a nut job .. inconsistency incarnate, he may never win another race.

On paper it was a much better run than his Coronation Cup win….giving 5lbs to the winner.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Scorpion is a consistent and genuine gp1 horse, who ideally needs further than 12f nowadays.<br>Had Saturday’s race been a gp1, he would probably have had a pacemaker, (As he did in his last 7 runner gp1, Doyley:) ), or been ridden more aggresively, and Maraahel wouldn’t have lived with him, 5lbs concession or not.<br>Horses of his calibre have longer term plans than just the next race, (Witness his previous perfomances in races below gp1 level) and now they know where they are with him, he will undoubtedly win more races in his proper circumstances.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.