The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Meaningless racing phrases

Home Forums Horse Racing Meaningless racing phrases

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8979

I am sure there are thousands of them but two that get my goat are –

1. Anything with the words ‘good gallop’ included.

e.g. ‘they’re going a good gallop here’

2. ‘Reliable yardstick’

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5934

2. ‘Reliable yardstick’

Presumably an unreliable yardstick would be 35 inches long, or maybe 37…

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

The phrases ‘wet sail’ and ‘withering run’ always bugged me a lot

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5503

Each Way Value

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4823

Any uttering of Tim Vaughan.

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

‘the persuader’ looks like it’s days are numbered.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 917

How about Graham Goode’s famous "Another victory for Yoo Hoo" when a jockey miraculously avoids falling off? It took me ages to work out that he was presumably using rhyming slang for "glue", ie the glue on the saddle or jockey’s breeches has stopped the rider falling off. He did once very helpfully say "Another victory for the glue".

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

It took me ages to work out that he was presumably using rhyming slang for "glue", ie the glue on the saddle or jockey’s breeches has stopped the rider falling off. He did once very helpfully say "Another victory for the glue".

He was refering to the real thing! Stank of bananas if memory serves.

http://www.mindsetsonline.co.uk/images/DSCN0558.jpg

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

When aussie Jim say’s a horse is "ooh, ten lengths clear"

Meaningless. Could be anything from 2 to half the track.

The Young Fella
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2066

"He won with his ears pricked" makes me cringe.

Most of them do!!! :evil:

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

UHU CrustyPatch, it’s a make of glue.

What about "a bet to nothing" A number of racing pundits like this one, an each way bet at around 5/1 were you are "guaranteed" your money back for an almost certain placing.

It’s surprising (or maybe not so) how unsuccesful they are when put up. Peter Naughton is the King of this particular bet, very unsuccessfully I might add. Matt Chapman is also fond of them although he prefers them around the 5/2 mark and considers it a success if they place.

Some like to give them when there is a long odds on shot and the BTN is around the 6 or 7/1 second fav mark but always fail to say where you can get a decent each way bet at the prevailing odds.

Jim "croc" McGrath "On settling down, as they settle" 10 yards after half the field have just capsized at the preceding hurdle (12.30 Folkestone today)

RedRum77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1535

The term "Dead Cert " or similar type phrase annoys me, when in racing such things don’t exist. Just those most likely to win according to the betting market.

CarryOnKatie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 568

Jim "croc" McGrath "On settling down, as they settle" 10 yards after half the field have just capsized at the preceding hurdle (12.30 Folkestone today)

…and "they’re settling down to fight it out"…ooh lets have a fight while settling down in our comfy armchairs!!

DaveMonk
    • Total Posts 153

Darren Owens "OOOOOOHHHH he took a liberty with it" boils my ****

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 917

It took me ages to work out that he was presumably using rhyming slang for "glue", ie the glue on the saddle or jockey’s breeches has stopped the rider falling off. He did once very helpfully say "Another victory for the glue".

He was referring to the real thing! Stank of bananas if memory serves.
    http://www.mindsetsonline.co.uk/images/DSCN0558.jpg

Thanks very much to Onthesteal and Eddie Case for helping to solve one of the great mysteries of my time. I’ve never come across UHU before. You live and learn. At least I had worked it out correctly all those years ago.
    I was wondering whether to include any Jim McGrath sayings and am pleased others have. One of my least favourite is "as all the time", as in "…as all the time they head towards Swinley Bottom…".
    Not to mention: "out deeper on the track" (are they really all piled up on top of each other?), "further back in the field" (where else would a runner behind another be?), "next in the field", "…and then we see…" (when he’s playing for time and trying to use padding to work out which runner is next), "scraping paint over on the far side", "he’s home for all money" and "….I reckon".
    First prize for me must go Tommo with these, possibly all in the same sentence: "By Jove, I tell you what, Big Feller, enjoy the moment, I love it."
    The most irritating for me is: "We’ll be right back after this." After what? When he’s linking to the ad break on Channel 4 racing and uses that awful 1980s-style link that doesn’t mention that "this" is the adverts. It’s so annoying. Nearly as bad is the Alastair Down version: "We’ll be back in just 60 seconds."
    John Francome always used to annoy me with his comments-in-running favourite: "He’s been jumping from fence to fence" (what else do you do in a steeplechase"?). Highly commended is Channel 4 Jim McGrath’s "He stays longer than the mother-in-law", although this is, strictly, barred as its meaning is clear.

wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 467

……most of these phrases seem to be annoying jargon rather than genuinely meaningless.

Thommo’s fixation with the word ‘outstanding’ is the biggest cliche in racing…….literally every occurrence on a racetrack is described by him as outstanding :P

The habit that jars with me is Des Scahill in commentary when he ‘fills’ during the race with phrases like:’……. As they race across towards the next…….’…….harmless enough but personally very annoying every time I hear it.

zanybody
    Participant
    • Total Posts 73

"We’re set fair for a good days racing."

Popular on the Morning Line.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.