The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

McCoy on Straw Bear or Brave Inca

Home Forums Archive Topics McCoy on Straw Bear or Brave Inca

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

McCoy seems to be angling towards Brave Inca in the comments that he makes. He suggests that Mr McManus likes him to ride the best horses. It seems as if he is trying to get JP to release him from his retainer. JP has been good in these type of situations in the past but I think McCoy is abusing his generosity.<br>As far as I am concerned McCoy should show more loyalty to what is probably the largest retainer in NH history. He should state that he will ride Straw Bear or whatever is JPs most fancied and only get on Brave Inca if JP has no runners. He should not be making these comments hoping that JP will release him.

DannyDanny
    • Total Posts 790

Shouldn’t  the best jockeys be able to ride the best horses?

PaulB
    • Total Posts 75

Quote: from Danny on 8:45 pm on Feb. 19, 2007[br]Shouldn’t  the best jockeys be able to ride the best horses?<br>

If McCoy wants to ride the best horses all of the time then he gives up one of the best jobs in National Hunt Racing and even then he will miss out on riding the best horses in every race for obvious reasons.

Every job has advantages & disadvantages to it, some more then others and what i can see and hear about mccoys job the advantages out weigh the disadvantages 10 flold.

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Straw Bear doesn’t have an insurmountable amount of improvement to find to finish ahead of Brave Inca..

jazza23
    • Total Posts 25

I’m pretty sure that if o’neil wants mccoy on straw bear then thats where he’ll be – regardless of how good a horse brave inca is.

DannyDanny
    • Total Posts 790

It wont matter which one mccoy rides really tho cos Detroit City will win:biggrin:

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

<br>And will he ride Exotic Dancer instead of L’Ami in the Gold Cup?

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Interesting question Paulcs, though a precedent was set when McCoy rode Reveillez in the Boylesports Gold Cup, Dobbin took the mount instead, with his availability likely due to Monet’s Gardens absence he could step in.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Quote: from jazza23 on 9:23 pm on Feb. 19, 2007[br]I’m pretty sure that if o’neil wants mccoy on straw bear then thats where he’ll be – regardless of how good a horse brave inca is. <br>

I don’t think Jonjo really cares!!!

SirHarryLewisSirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1194

Quote: from Aragorn on 9:55 am on Feb. 20, 2007[br]

Quote: from jazza23 on 9:23 pm on Feb. 19, 2007[br]I’m pretty sure that if o’neil wants mccoy on straw bear then thats where he’ll be – regardless of how good a horse brave inca is. <br>

I think he means Mcmanus.  Anyhow, while it looks like he wants to ride Brave, Im pretty sure he wont be allowed.  That said, he has every right to float the idea doesnt he.  Cant see what loyalty has to do with it, all parties know where they stand….its JP’s choice.

SHL

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Quote: from davidjohnson on 9:00 am on Feb. 20, 2007[br]Interesting question Paulcs, though a precedent was set when McCoy rode Reveillez in the Boylesports Gold Cup, Dobbin took the mount instead, with his availability likely due to Monet’s Gardens absence he could step in.<br>

I’m sure there’s an interesting point being made here – could you please re-phrase?

Best Regards,<br>Andrew

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Dobbin rode Exotic Dancer in boylesports Gold Cup, therefore would be a fine replacement in the Gold Cup if McCoy is required for L’Ami.

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

DJ,

Thanks for clarifying. Have just been to the dentist and am self-medicating until Amoxomyllin kicks in, hence lack of comprehension.

Andrew

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

I am a firm believer that a jockey only contributes a maximum of 10% to the effectiveness of a horse’s performance. Particularly a very good horse.<br>Ok, there maybe a multitude of AP examples of his victories on ordinary horses, but when it come to Champion races’, the primary factor is the horse itself.

The connections of either Brave Inca or S/Bear will not lose any sleep over the man  in the plate. Of course, like everything in life, you would like a preference, and connections would like AP.

But don’t be blinkered, come Champion’s Day, it is THE HORSE that is principal, and it should do it’s running in a capable horseman’s hands.

regards,

doyley

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Quote: from doyley on 12:19 pm on Feb. 20, 2007[br]Hello,

I am a firm believer that a jockey only contributes a maximum of 10% to the effectiveness of a horse’s performance. Particularly a very good horse.<br>Ok, there maybe a multitude of AP examples of his victories on ordinary horses, but when it come to Champion races’, the primary factor is the horse itself.

The connections of either Brave Inca or S/Bear will not lose any sleep over the man  in the plate. Of course, like everything in life, you would like a preference, and connections would like AP.

But don’t be blinkered, come Champion’s Day, it is THE HORSE that is principal, and it should do it’s running in a capable horseman’s hands.

Doyley,

You are contradicting yourself mate, if connections of Brave Inca would not lose any sleep over who is in the saddle why was Barry Cash jocked off?

JohnJ.

(Edited by johnjdonoghue at 12:29 pm on Feb. 20, 2007)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.