The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

MASTER MINDED

Home Forums Horse Racing MASTER MINDED

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    sovies friend
    Participant
    • Total Posts 71

ONE WORD GUTTED MY BIG HOPE FOR THE FESTIVAL TURNED OVER !!!

mort
    Participant
    • Total Posts 138

I’m not saying it was anything to do with his riding and Ruby would be one of my favourites, but do you think he could have been affected by the fatal fall of Citizen Vic in the previous race? Would it be in the back of his mind, even subconsciously, that asking the horse for a real long one could turn out to be a fatal error? Especially given his lucky escape at the last in MM previous race……..
    Just thinking out loud really.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

Just said something similar on the Cheltenham thread, mort.

mort
    Participant
    • Total Posts 138

Glad I’m not the only one thinking this. I know I only do showjumping and it’s not exactly the same, but a few years ago my favourite horse, on one occasion sort of experimented not putting his landing gear down (resulting in a spectacular somersault for both of us – luckily he was unhurt) and I definitely had this in my mind the next few times we jumped and was more cautious than usual.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

A boost for Walsh- Nicholls with the win of Sanctuaire in the Fred Winter.

Plenty of pundits said before the race that Master Minded was not the force he was.

Sad to see Well Chief, a favourite of mine and who beat an injured MM earlier this season, never on terms.

Retirement beckons for WC I hope as age and fragile legs have caught up with him

SharkEnergy
    • Total Posts 38

Could be possible but I’d be pretty sure Ruby has been on a fatal faller and won the next at some point in his career – as grim as the thought of that stat is.

SharkEnergy
    • Total Posts 38

Got to love the commentator (watching it again) on Racing UK. After 3 fences – "Look at Master Minded, just lobbing along on any easy rein". Clearly expecting nothing but a Master Minded win. Then Nichols states he knew something wasn’t right adter 2 fences!

• Total Posts 1982

Sad to see Well Chief, a favourite of mine and who beat an injured MM earlier this season, never on terms.

Retirement beckons for WC I hope as age and fragile legs have caught up with him

Agreed, especially after they chose him as one of their unsung heroes of Cheltenham Past today on Channel4. When you look back at him mixing it with Moscow Flyer and see a shadow of that horse today, it was sad to see.

He put up the greatest weight-carrying performance I’ve ever witnessed when landing the Victor Chandler chase in 2005 and I have fond memories of his beating Azertyuiop in the Celebration Chase after his titanic effort against Moscow Flyer.

His latest victory in December was a moment to cherish – his way of reminding us just how good he was.

I would like to see him have one last hurrah at Sandown. I don’t want to see him go out with a whimper like today. If David Pipe can get him there fit and well, I say they’ve got nothing to lose.

• Total Posts 113

Agreed, especially after they chose him as one of their unsung heroes of Cheltenham Past today on Channel4. When you look back at him mixing it with Moscow Flyer and see a shadow of that horse today, it was sad to see.

He put up the greatest weight-carrying performance I’ve ever witnessed when landing the Victor Chandler chase in 2005 and I have fond memories of his beating Azertyuiop in the Celebration Chase after his titanic effort against Moscow Flyer.

His latest victory in December was a moment to cherish – his way of reminding us just how good he was.

I would like to see him have one last hurrah at Sandown. I don’t want to see him go out with a whimper like today. If David Pipe can get him there fit and well, I say they’ve got nothing to lose.

Thats one of my most dissappointing in racing….Well Chief not winning a champion chase.

Him beating Kicking King in the arkle was one of my best memories of him in his youth.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

I also knew he wouldn’t win after watching him jump 2 fences. If I layed horses, I’d have hit the button in a flash. Thought it at the time :oops:

The change in going has really thrown a huge spanner in the works where evaluating form is concerned. And then a mudlark like Big Zeb goes and wins! :?

• Total Posts 1982

I remember him being caught in the final strides of the Triumph the year before his Arkle victory.

Unlucky in that race. Unlucky to be around in the same era as Moscow Flyer. Unlucky with injuries.

A great career, but one that could have been even graeter.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

A better campaign would certainly not have gone amiss.

Ridiculous to campaign an injury-prone 11yo who goes best fresh like that. Should have put him away after the Connaught.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.