The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Mary Reveley RIP

Home Forums Memorials Mary Reveley RIP

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4406

The trainer of Mellottie, Cab On Target, Marello, Seven Towers, Tees Components and many others sadly collapsed and died this morning, aged 76.

Condolences to her family.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3708

Very sad news and as far as I know she fought (breast) cancer some years ago.

A very good trainer of chasers and highly successful especially in the North despite Peter Niven being the stable jockey.

Rest in Peace Mrs. Reveley

Participant
    • Total Posts 3708

The trainer of Mellottie, Cab On Target, Marello, Seven Towers, Tees Components and many others sadly collapsed and died this morning, aged 76.

Condolences to her family.

No, she was 77 according to the RP. But for a few hours she was quoted at 76. Doesn’t matter anyway, but journalists should know better.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4406

A very good trainer of chasers

Although better known for her exploits over the sticks, she was a very capable flat handler, too. Not many have landed both legs of the Autumn Double; Mrs Reveley did so (admittedly in different years) with Mellottie and Turnpole.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6125

Mary Reveley never sought owners or horses; they came in search of her. What finer tribute is there? Condolences to family and friends.

@TasteTheWhip
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1

Oh dear 🙁
    Cab On Target was a particular favourite of mine.
    RIP Mary.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1882

I only started following racing at the end of her career but Tees Components and Robbo were brilliant.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9063

I know I’ve said this many times but, imo she has always been the most underrated of woman trainers. A great dual purpose trainer. Sad news.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Very sad news indeed. Along with Berry/Carroll, Pipe/ Scudamore, the Reveley/Niven combo certainly made my world a better place back in the eighties, when I started backing horses as a teenager. No doubt she made a huge contribution to racing in the north, and leaves a legacy that will last a long time.

Rest in peace.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1372

Very sad news indeed and my thoughts go out to her family.
    The Reveley / Niven combination was indeed brilliant, and they were connected to some really good animals.
    Cab on Target was so talented.

Participant
    • Total Posts 608

What a life she led and according to her family she died doing what she loved. At her peak she trained 120 horses a year despite never having advertised. She deserves to be remembered as one of the greats.

Louise12
    Participant
    • Total Posts 359

Wonderful woman, very shrewd.

kingbenitch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 137

I never knew here but I knew the owners of Turnpole, Marello and a couple of others. They were absolutely loyal to Mary for all the good reasons. Remarkable woman, remarkable trainer with an enviable record by any standards.

I think the press may not have the full facts since I’m fairly certain Mary took over from husband George.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 1045

Sad news for the Northern racing circuit and beyond. Niven said today ‘she could train anything’.

Condolences to her family and friends.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6132

sad news to hear that today a fine lady and a great trainer R I P MARY

TimJames
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Sad news indeed. RIP Mary.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.