The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Looking for a new career for a retired racehorse

Home Forums Horse Racing Looking for a new career for a retired racehorse

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    naps
    • Total Posts 159

Have just retired 1 of my horses and am looking for a good home. He’s a 7yo with a great temperament and winner of a Gp 3 on the flat and a winner over hurdles. With retraining we believe he will make a good showjumper or show horse or even just for pleasure riding.

If interested please pm me.

vikingflagship
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1118

have you had a look into the moorcroft racehorse welfare centre, they have the well known moorcroft boy happily retired there, training the youngsters before they go to their new homes as hacks, etc

http://www.mrwc.org.uk/

vf

Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1598

So when you first bought the horse, did it occur to you to have something set up for him once his racing career had finished?

Credit for you for proactively trying to offload your burden in a transparent manner but it’s this kind of irresponsibility that gives racing and its owners a bad name whilst feeding the propaganda machine of the anti brigade.

http://www.heroscharity.org/index.htm

harrythehat
    • Total Posts 15

If you are retiring him at 7, he is either a yak or has problems.
    As you seem confident that he can make it in another sphere have you thought of doing it yourself? An owner should act in a responsible manner and not just palm off a horse to someone else for them to incur costs. I would assume that you had about 5 yrs to put arrangements in place.
    You could always put him in a livery yard for around £40.00 per week.

naps
    • Total Posts 159

Thanks for all the assumptions made in spite of over 30 years of ownership where all my retired racehorses have been found good homes or alternative careers. I have been in touch with Moorcrofts and this is still the main option. The reason I offered him on here was because I remember reading a post where someone was looking for an ex racer to go showjumping.

Won’t be making that mistake again since there are those who clearly think they know alot more than they actually do.

Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1598

Yeah, I’m not going to apologise for my comment.

Congratulations on managing to find a second life for all of your horses but what happens if neither Moorcroft or anybody else can find room for your current horse? There’s always the chance your luck will run out, especially in this economic climate. A problem which has been surprisingly well publicised in Ireland.

I don’t believe there’s anything in this sport more repugnant than people irresponsibly buying horses for a career on the track without paying any consideration to the fact that a horse’s career is finite. As such, I’m not going to hold my tongue on the

assumption

that you’re one of the more responsible owners.

EmmyK
    • Total Posts 166

I think some of you don’t realise thoroughbreds aren’t worth the paper their passports are printed on outside of racing. They are VERY hard to sell if they’ve never been near a trainers yard, once they have, even harder.

Naps, he’s the sort of thing i would normally be very interested in if i didn’t have an x-pointer on the go at the moment. Good luck to him. I may be able to help you sell though :) Pm me :)

Also, put him on horsemart, it’s cheap for the amount of people that look at it.

Seven Towers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 608

People need to make an effort to appraise themselves of the facts before getting on their soapbox. Even if they believe they are acting with the best intentions if they don’t know what they’re talking about they’re not going to help man nor beast.

EmmyK
    • Total Posts 166

People need to make an effort to appraise themselves of the facts before getting on their soapbox. Even if they believe they are acting with the best intentions if they don’t know what they’re talking about they’re not going to help man nor beast.

was that aimed at me? I won’t list my equine CV, but i can assure you I know what I’m talking about.

Seven Towers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 608

No EmmyK, you’ve been one of only a couple of sensible replies so far, sorry for any offence caused!

Having reread my post it does sound a bit Schoolma’am-y I don’t mean to preach, I just hope people channel their obviously strong feelings towards the correct targets ie people who actually neglect/mistreat horses.

Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1598

Indirectly criticising somebody in a blatant manner is both cowardly and condescending.

Taken to its simplest point, the opening post was "I have a horse but I want to get rid of him because he’s no longer of any use to me."

The aforementioned statement is the lowest common denominator but the lowest common denominator is still a FACT. (ST) I’m also very aware of the fact that horses

"aren’t worth the paper their passports are printed"

as well as the causes of their worthlessness i.e irresponsible owners (EK)

Whilst I acknowledged and praised the opening poster for at least looking for somewhere (I even posted a link to a charity that could help him), the fact still remains that he’s treating the horse as a commodity rather than a sentient and loved creature. So long as the burden of responsibility is lifted off the owner’s shoulders, the owner has a clear conscience.

Again, I make no apologies for my views. Certainly not on a public forum.

jinnyj
    • Total Posts 141

I actually think there have been some pretty unnecessary comments on this thread. I applaud Naps for taking the initiative to offer his horse for rehoming. 99% of owners wouldn’t be bothered in the slightest and would be happy for the horse to be off-loaded at the next available sales so he’s someone else’s problem. He may even end up abroad at one of the lower end racing nations and be subject to all sorts of abuse (It does happen).

It isn’t easy rehoming any horse at the present as there are so many around. I am trying with a 14yo former point-to-pointer currently in a field until we can find somewhere for him. BUT it has to be a suitable home as he won’t go anywhere he won’t get looked after properly. He is a great ride and a brilliant hunter but still we can’t find anywhere for him.

Best of luck Naps, if I hear of anyone around here wanting a younger horse, I will be in touch. Try Di Arbuthnot from racehorse rehoming – she co-ordinates things and could help possibly.

EmmyK
    • Total Posts 166

When Jinnyj said really, it’s all well and good to say that all horses should have good homes lined up for them, but that’s simply impossible. I know a lot of people who out and out would not be seen dead with a thoroughbred, they have a reputation for being lunatics that break easily, regardless of how true or not that is. I don’t envy anyone trying to sell their horses at the moment.

Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1598

I agree with the points raised in the last two comments. However, I don’t agree with people buying racehorses whilst being either unaware or willfully ignorant of the perils of offloading a racehorse.

A dog is for life and not just for Christmas. But a horse is just too burdensome.

:(

EmmyK
    • Total Posts 166

I agree with you there but at least the OP is trying, rather than just packing the horse off to the nearest sale, where it could be picked up by an utter cretin for £50.

harrythehat
    • Total Posts 15

Have just retired 1 of my horses and am looking for a good home. He’s a 7yo with a great temperament and winner of a Gp 3 on the flat and a winner over hurdles. With retraining we believe he will make a good showjumper or show horse or even just for pleasure riding.

If interested please pm me.

If the above is true, I stand by my point that something is wrong with him. If he is 100% sound he could go to the sales. To advertise between ‘friends’ without the reason for retirement does not seem like a very good idea.
    The last horse I retired took me a long time to find a suitable home. I wanted to sell her as a broodmare because she had bad joints. A trip to the sales was out of the question because I did not want her to run again. I found a stud for her and ended up paying the transport!!

quadrilla
    • Total Posts 468

Harry, If this thread finds a good home and/or a new career for this retired racehorse, then TRF network should be very pleased.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.