The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Linfield home straight

Home Forums Tipping and Research Trends, Research And Notebooks Linfield home straight

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

Horses that stay on the inside(close to the rail) in the home straight(last 2f) at Lingfield appear to be at a disadvantage compared to those that challenge or stay out about 6 or 7 yards from the rail. I’ve seen this happen time after time recently. I don’t watch every race but those I’ve seen show a very distinct pattern. Horses often lead into the straight, railling as they do so. They stay on the rails and seem to be running on the spot as challengers come down the centre of the track and swamp them. This may be partly an illusion as the camera angle changes, or it may be that front runners(who have set too fast a pace) get swallowed up.

I don’t know if this has been raised here before now. If it has, I apologise.  I’ve certainly read about it somewhere else recently and have noticed it myself in the majority of races at the track. Anyone else noticed this?

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

I’ve got an open mind on this, but my suspicion has always been that it is down to the leaders being on the far rail and anything other than the leaders being forced to challenge wide.

The majority of races – at Lingfield as elsewhere – are won by horses that are not leading 2f out. It follows that if the leaders customarily stay on the far rail then the majority of races will be won by something challenging wider (individual races can always buck the trend due to pace etc).<br> <br>But I haven’t watched much racing at Lingfield recently and your hypothesis is by no means out of the question.

Ultimate Nightmare
    • Total Posts 326

I get annoyed hearing the "experts on TV" going on about where its quickest, they change their mind race by race i think, PRU’s analysis might be correct. Having had a nice treble recently scuppered by from behind up the inside SH. :(  

I still think that if they angled the turn into the straight out a bit further you would get some better finishes. Having said that what a fantastic finish for 2nd in the 4.50

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Quote: from Ultimate Nightmare on 5:42 pm on Oct. 26, 2006[br]I Having said that what a fantastic finish for 2nd in the 4.50

I’d rather get boring finishes and form that will at least be worth the paper it’s written on.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

The subject has been covered before but is still worth discussing.

I don’t think the track is any slower close to the rail.  A lot of winners coming from the outside is to do with the ludicrously short run in off a very tight bend.  Front runners dropping through the field force the strong finishers wide in a lot of competitive races.  Another point worth considering is with a very tight bend, long striding horses find it difficult to maintain momentum and taking a wider arc is much easier for them. <br>

Ultimate Nightmare
    • Total Posts 326

Quote: from davidjohnson on 6:23 pm on Oct. 26, 2006[br]

Quote: from Ultimate Nightmare on 5:42 pm on Oct. 26, 2006[br]I Having said that what a fantastic finish for 2nd in the 4.50

I’d rather get boring finishes and form that will at least be worth the paper it’s written on.<br>

I am slightly bemused by that remark, having just done my figures for the race.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

It was a flippant remark mainly in reference to the general races around Lingfield where 4 lengths tend to cover the field and a different horse would win the race 7 times out of 10.

Ultimate Nightmare
    • Total Posts 326

I love the stuff and long as they are all trying (well at least the nag i’m on) it’s fun if you can string a few together at decent prices. Not for the purists but hell of a line for second.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.