The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Lester Piggott in hospital

Home Forums Horse Racing Lester Piggott in hospital

• This topic has 45 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Kris.
Viewing 12 posts - 35 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1722

Ardross was a real fav of mine as a youngster growing up and I was devastated when he just failed to get up to win that 82 Arc on his final run of his career.

Good update on the great man: https://www.racingpost.com/news/members/latest/lester-piggott-improving-and-set-to-leave-hospital-early-next-week/559051

vikingflagship
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1354

That’s good news :good:

VF x

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4456

I have always felt that Piggot arrived at life’s solution far too late in life. I think I may be in the same boat. When we reach the waterfall in a reed made craft, I get this uncanny feeling, I may be beaten by a better neck.
    Fact is when you’re famous the stewards give you the benefit of the doubt.

Gasping for air….

” HELP ”

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 249

I thought it was rather remiss of Oli Bell not to enquire of Mrs. Haggas, the state of her father’s health when he interviewed her. Of course, I might have missed something earlier.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3624

The Racing Post has reported that Lester Piggott has passed away.

RIP to a racing legend.

IanDavies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4711

Ditto – RIP to a genuinely great Flat jockey and one of the most distinctive characters the sport has ever seen.

Sir Cherryade of Hampshire
    ("Chezza" to the proletariat)
    Twitter: https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/

huddiepuddies
    Participant
    • Total Posts 62

The greatest.

A sporting hero of mine,it’s been a privilege to have watched the absolute master of his craft.

He transcended the sport;everyone just knew who Lester was.

RIP

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1458

“Legendary jockey Lester Piggott, who won the Derby a record nine times, has died aged 86.

The Englishman won 30 British Classic races in a career which yielded 4,493 winners.

He also had 116 Royal Ascot victories and was named champion jockey 11 times between 1960 and 1982.

“Sadly we can confirm that Lester died peacefully in Switzerland this morning,” said his son-in-law and Derby-winning trainer William Haggas.

Piggott was admitted to hospital in Switzerland, where he lived, last week.”

https://www.bbc.com/sport/horse-racing/61623271

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1722

THis sucks even more since the last update prior seemed bullish that he was due to be released early next week – RIP to the Long Fellow who in some ways it is appropriate that he would leave us on the eve of the race he made his own.

He redefined the art of riding a racehorse and in an age where the riders style all looks very much the same that you couldn’t easily pick them out in a race, you would only needs a few scant seconds to spot the Piggott posterior to know where he was.

Turkoman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 164

I read your post earlier today LD, and I was so happy about the news. But this is really sad turn of events. The world of horse racing lost one of its greatest athletes of all time!…

Deepest condolences to Lester’s family and loved ones. May you RIP, Lester…

vikingflagship
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1354

Was sad news to wake up to ,after a seemingly positive press release only last night rip Lester Piggot

VF x

Kris
    Participant
    • Total Posts 738

Nobody else mattered when I was growing up. He was the man.

Such a shame, but I’m glad I got to see him in the flesh a few times. There’s far too many memories, which says it all.

Viewing 12 posts - 35 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.