The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

King George 2008

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion King George 2008

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 257 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1751

To me it looks as if this years renewal will be the best field Kauto Star has faced in a King George. It looks almost certain to be run at a good gallop with the likes of Tamarinbleu, Briareus, Imperial Commander and Our Vic and maybe even Air Force One looking to run the sting out of Kauto’s finish. I can see Tamarinbleu and Briareus going a decent clip and then Imperial Commander, Our Vic and Air Force One pouring it on from a mile out. If there is the slightest doubt about Kauto Star’s wellbeing then this field will find it out IMO.

For me I can’t see Our Vic out of the frame if running to his last two runs but it might just be a race to watch and savour rather than have a financial interest

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Im not sure about that. For all his recent slippage in form and the fact that he …ahem…might not be in the best hands…i would definately rate Exotic Dancer above any of this weekends contenders. Especially at the trip

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

I was previously dismissive of Air Force One’s chances, but on a pure handicapping line through Snoopy Loopy, then he is very under rated based on the Hennessy run. If Snoopy Loopy was 10lb well in (which of course he wasn’t) then AFO should be rated around the 172 which would put him bang in with a chance. However does that make Madison De Berlais rate at 175? I doubt it, but the fact is AFO ran a great race and on gorund that was probably too soft so he does have more than a good EW squeak. Also the old right handed thing wont disappear until he actually wins left handed, but as Kempton goes right, he must have further improvement on his Newbury run.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1751

Im not sure about that. For all his recent slippage in form and the fact that he …ahem…might not be in the best hands…i would definately rate Exotic Dancer above any of this weekends contenders. Especially at the trip

As I’ve mentioned numerous times previously I don’t rate Exotic Dancer and personally would doubt him being in the first three if participating this year.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I would love to see Kauto win but at the prices I don’t think he’s an attractive betting proposition despite being the most obvious winner, so i’m going to have a little e/w interest on Briareus.

The horse has course form and also has pace, which you need in this race. He has won 50% of his starts under rules and the forecast good ground will suit him down to the ground (Taking his runs on soft out he has only finished out of the first two once and that was in the champion hurdle) Balding has also proved he is no mug this year and that he doesn’t tilt at windmills.

I’ll wait for the day of the race though as he is also entered in Desert Orchid chase over 2m the following day.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

After listening to what PN had to say more than 4 lengths would seem a cracking bet.

He regrets running Kauto Star at Haydock but he thinks the horse is as good as ever he said or words to that effect……….what you telling us PN? you never gave him enough work before Haydock or what?

It was like listening to someone making an excuse for a horse winning so easily before he runs……he’s a master at covering his backside that one is :wink:

I never clearly understood Paul Nicholls take on Kauto Star’s Haydock run, this season, he does confuse us all at times. What he meant, as is explained by him on his teletext pages today, is that he half regrets running Kauto Star at Haydock because he took a week to get over his first race in Ireland, because of the travelling to and from Ireland, it then took him two weeks to get him back to his best after that first race. Haydock came three weeks after Down Royal and he runs to his best after a break. It all seems to make a bit more sense now.

Except he never needed a break between his races before now….he is guessing.

Well it make sense to me and why he ran a stone or more below form.

I think PN has answered the question I asked and he now seems quite angry at people for writing the horse off.He simply seny him to Haydock when he wasn’t ready. I said earlier perhaps hewent too easy on him which couldbethe case or what is more likeley he ran out of time. He did the same thing at Aintree after the Gold Cup….basically the man has messed up and has held his hands up to it.

What Kauto needed 2 years ago and what he needs now are two different things. I think "guessing" is the wrong word and perhaps "realising" would be a better description

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Our Vic 9/1 and Snoopy Loopy 22/1 for me. Love my Old Vics @ 3 miles. This looks like being a more competitive race than the last two runnings.

It looks like that now perhaps Bul but think back to the people who said the same thing last year.Last year it was Exotiic Dancer and MWDS who were the ones who were going to shake him up. MWDS was a huge danger in many peoples eyes.

This year it’s VPU a horse who hasn’t won a decent race for as long as I can remember and with all respect to Gareth and Mr King they are dreaming if they think he would get within 10 lengths of Kauto on a going day!

We have a novice chaser who has never been tested in this class and common sense tells us he would have to be some kind of wonder horse to beat Kauto Star, again on a going day!

Then we have Snoopy Loopy who Ilike but I wouldn’t give him a cat in hells chance of beating Kauto Star, again on a going day.

This is not a better race what we have is a bunch of leeches waiting to pounce if ,as many suspect, Kauto Star does not run up to form. They have entered in the hope he has gone but even if he has most would still struggle to beat him.

If Kauto were to run up to last years form this lot will be strung out like your grannies washing.

It’s make or break time for Kauto Star but I firmly believe through several unforseen factors PN has made a complete balls up of training him at times.
    Cheltenham I can understand him getting beat but sending him to Aintree after he about dropped dead after the Denman tussle was a disgrace. I’m less worried about Haydock he had not had a hard race before and the race won’t have done him any harm as he probably was in better condition than he was at Aintree but why run a horse like him if he is not on song?…My theory is he wanted to try and get that win in as he knew no way was he going to run him again between Kempton and the Gold Cup…little bit of greed setting in again perhaps so he took the chance?

As they say "all’s well that ends well" and I think the Kauto Star we will see tomorrrow will be the Kauto of old…….the cash is down, the turkeys in the oven, the champagne bottles and Xmas crackers will be popping tommorrow but the real celebrations will be when Ruby comes sailing over the last at Kempton, turns to the crowd, smiling like a cheshire cat, gives us all a wave and shouts…..ah! to be sure! I told you so :lol:

Great achievement if he can pull it off…… Good Luck Kauto!!!!!!!!!

rich170
    • Total Posts 24

It is sure to be a top class race. There is no doubt that Kauto is a top class horse but is he still one? Lots of french horses go off the boil and that could have happenend to kauto. But i do know if i wanted one to trainer to prepare a horse for a race it would be Paul Nicholls. I personally fancy Our vic the horse has done nothing wrong and is progressive. But i wouldnt be dissapointed if Kauto wins as it would be great for the sport. Also looks like Exotic Dancer is almost definitely going to the Lexus Chase

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Am I the only one who thinks this is anything but a top-class renewal? Let’s look at the field:

A great horse in Kauto Star as fave, but one who now has definite question marks against him.

A moderate QM winner in VPU, who is far from guaranteed to see out the trip.

A Mackeson winner going for a yard that cannot buy a winner at present.

The talented yet quirky Our Vic, going for another yard that can’t buy a winner, and with age all against him.

A Sun Alliance winner who has run absolute shockers in his only starts this season.

Some make-weght handicappers, and/or probable non-stayers being the only other entrants.

For me, this is possibly the worst King George field I can remember, and if Kauto Star doesn’t dance-up hard-held, we can foget both him, and most likely the relevance of the form, for the remainder of the season.

It’s a thoroughly uninspiring renewal, imo.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Kauto Star will wing it.

He’s a machine when he goes right handed. :twisted:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6011

Am I the only one who thinks this is anything but a top-class renewal?

Plenty of negatives around so why is Exotic Dancer out with the rags? ~40 looks very long.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

A Sun Alliance winner who has run absolute shockers in his only starts this season
    Grass, glad you give a mention to the "Dark horse" of the race, those of us who took the 50/1 will be happy with a place! wherever the 8/1 "Air force one" finishes the real "Albertas run" finishes in front!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Plenty of negatives around so why is Exotic Dancer out with the rags? ~40 looks very long.

I think they are taking him over to Ireland for the Lexus instead, Drone.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

dessie only lost in Nupsala’s year because he and Beau Ranger took each other on from the star [have never actually seen that race].

Participant
    • Total Posts 6011

I think they are taking him over to Ireland for the Lexus instead, Drone.

Thanks Young Fella, I should’ve read the RP news :roll:

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Grass, glad you give a mention to the "Dark horse" of the race, those of us who took the 50/1 will be happy with a place! wherever the 8/1 "Air force one" finishes the real "Albertas run" finishes in front!

Right back at you, GWILSON77.

I took up to 220 myself on the machine, and whilst I’m not convinced he can win, I’m reasonably certain I can trade out for profit at some stage. :wink: 8)

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

I like Voy Por and Tamarinbleu in that order.

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 257 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.