The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

King George 2008

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion King George 2008

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 257 total)
  • Author
    Kevin
    • Total Posts 295

Cracking race which I would love to see Kauto Star winning. Betting wise its looking for a decent price placed horse that just might take advantage of any Kauto errors. Have backed Albertas Run e/w at 33s though much of that logic might be from far too much Talisker last night. :oops:

Fancy Nichols & Walsh to take the first four races today!

Good luck all & lets hope they all come back safe!

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Yehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Total Posts 1415

Fking YESSSSS!!!!!! Get in Kauto!!

Bet of the season, Kauto is back!! :lol:

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

See you at Cheltenham "H"

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Good to see him back to his best, Albertas Run a decent second, did you have him for a place grassy?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

That was great. Well done Kauto Star!

• Total Posts 2440

You cant say anything against that performance, apart from maybe 1 jump in the back straight which wasn’t the best, but apart from that, another great victory in the King George VI for Kauto Star.

He just loves it at Kempton doesn’t he.

I thought Voy Por was going to stay on for second, he stayed on quite well coming around the last bend, as Robert brought him to the rail.

A very good run by Alberta’s Run too who has put some disappointing early season runs behind him with that run into second.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Great run from Alberta’s – didn’t think that 3m on a speed track would be for him so must be a place-player come March.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Brilliant performance!

Don’t know what he beat, first impression was that Voy Por ran below form. The out of form trainer’s horses did not find much. Possibly the prominent runners went off too fast. Air Force One and Snoopy loopy below form. Alberta’s Run the only improver.

But that takes little away from Kauto, who even if the others would’ve been at their best; they would not have got anywhere near him.

Magnificent!

mark

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 1982

Not bad for a horse in decline… :roll:

Finished, eh? Those who wrote him off after Haydock look pretty ridiculous now, don’t they?

There were a few valid excuses that day, but there’s no excusing what we witnessed today. Absolutely bloody spectacular! That leap at the last – WOW!

John Francombe called him the best jumper he’s ever seen. A huge, possibly over-excited comment, but can we now bid farewell to this ‘dodgy jumper’ nonsense? He showed his jumping versatility today. In-close, standing-off, fiddling…it all comes the same to this chap.

Well done to Paul Nicholls for naming and shaming (Tom Segal got a mention).

Enjoy the moment Clive, Paul, Ruby and all connected with the horse. Let’s now fully appreciate a national treasure and cherish the time we have left to watch him.

One in a million…Well done, Kauto Star. You truly are The Great One.

• Total Posts 2440

There were a few valid excuses that day, but there’s no excusing what we witnessed today. Absolutely bloody spectacular! That leap at the last – WOW!

Well done to Paul Nicholls for naming and shaming (Tom Segal got a mention).

He walked through the last Bos, the second last however, was an excellent jump.

What did Paul Nicholls say about Segal et al? ? ?

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

See you at Cheltenham "H"

It’s an entirely different ball game at old Prestbury Park, Fists, as you know better than most, and the "tank" (if fully fuelled ) will be ready and waiting to pummel your champ into an early submission again. :wink:

But hey, what a great performance today from Kauto Star, and one which surely puts to bed all this nonsense from his detractors that he is on a downhill spiral and past his best.

Early this morning, I availed myself of the 5/4 Coral’s were offering, but I must confess that my heart missed a few beats as KS’s last fence-itis reared its ugly head once again. What a wind up merchant that horse is ! :lol:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 738

It was certainly an eyecatching performance.

You could raise questions about the true form of the race – maybe that is being a touch churlish. That’s what the commentators on TV are for, but as usual didn’t.

However a great achievement in winning 3 in a row!!

• Total Posts 1982

He walked through the last Bos, the second last however, was an excellent jump.

What did Paul Nicholls say about Segal et al? ? ?

That’s the beauty of the horse, Gaz.

He’s a very clever jumper and corrected himself at the last. Nine times out of ten he finds a leg.

Paul Nicholls basically mentioned the nonsense some were talking about his stable star and followed it up by mentioning Tom Segal.

After some of the comments, not just before today but throughout his career, I often wonder if we deserve a horse like this.

The Great One didn’t just walk through The Gates Of Immortality, he strutted through them with a shrug of the shoulders.

• Total Posts 2440

Thanks Bos.

To be honest, i think there has been a lot of unnecessary criticism of Paul Nicholls and his horses, his jockeys, etc…

Kauto Star loves Kempton, it is obvious that there was something wrong when he ran at Haydock, but today, he was back to his old self.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I suppose many will say now that it wasn’t a good King George. Not that it matters as Kauto has the old name in the record book nowand willbe remembered as one of the best chasers of all time.

That 6/4 truned out not to be the bet of the year.the 7/2 for more than 4 lengths was :lol: That may look poor when you compare it to the 7/1 and 5/1 on offer last March for this seasons Gold Cup.

Surely this proves that Kauto was short of a gallop last time. Sort of blows the French theory out the window as well.

Tell you what I was exited going into Cheltenham last season but this year with Binocular 22/1 20/1 etc Kauto Star 7/1 and 5/1 plus Master Minded at 6/4 I amfooked if I know how I will be able to sleep for the next 3 months :lol:

It never ceases to amaze me how we are influenced by narrow minded journalists who write garbage about horses like Kauto……..I never believed we saw the real Kauto Star in the gold cup. I maintain he should never have run at Aintree and it was pretty obvious to me that either PN’s greed got the better of him at Haydock or he took it too easy on the horse. Either way he ran in that race undercooked.

Hasn’t done him any harm though and he’s won the King George so it’s diffiucult to really fault PN’s tactictswhereHaydockis concerned..

I still can’t believe some of the things I have read about last seasons Gold Cup and how people ignored what Ruby said after the race.

I immediately backed Kauto after the gold cup last year because of what I saw.

1. Kauto ran a mile below his best.

2. Denman was out on his feet and wouldn’t have beaten of a fly in the last 100yds

I maintain nothing travels better than Kauto Star in a race and not even Denman could go fast enough totake him off his feet when he’s on song.

If he goes to Cheltenham in the form he went to Kempton in today he will leave Denman for dead on the run to the line.

Some have stamina doubts about Kauto Star but if he proved anything last season it was that even when he was wrong he stayed every yard.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

I think Haydock was just at the start of Nicholls drop in form. It took another week or two to come out properly. But in the last few days he’s been banging them in again.

And isn’t every horse allowed an off day?

Won the 07 King George easily.
    Won the 08 Ascot Chase easily. (Got injured).
    Ran below form in the Gold Cup (Where he has never run to form, was not at his best when winning the 07 edition).
    Not over his Cheltenham excersions when making a horlicks of 2 out at Aintree, but for which he would’ve won anyway. Again running below form.
    Won a poor quality grade 1 in Ireland on reappearance.
    Had an off day at Haydock.
    Won today.

I don’t blame anyone for asking questions, it is only natural we should look for any flaws. Particularly whith such an outstanding horse. I did myself believing his price was too short at Haydock because of the questions; and value today inspite of the questions. Especially the 7/2 for winning by 4 or more lengths.

Has not done much wrong though has he?

Mark

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 257 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.