The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

King George 2011 & 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion King George 2011 & 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 387 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33005

You can’t blame Sheena for trying. If you’ve got a horse with a fraction of a chance. You’d want to give it a go surely?

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 1533

I already said that but that’s her not me Ginger. If I had even suggested running a horse of Golan Ways ability in a race like the King George to my ex-trainer he would have slapped me around the head and told me not to be so effing stupid. I kid you not!

Sure have a go you are entitled to but when people shake their heads and mumble idiot under their breath don’t be offended because 99% of the time they are proved right.

Participant
    • Total Posts 274

Interesting debate being had on here about captain chris/master minded and long run/kauto star. Captain chris is still slightly under a cloud of fitness right now and recent vibes from Ditcheat suggest kauto is leaning towards skipping the race. That being said, does anyone have any ideas about planet of sounds participation in the race? I believe he was targeted at it before missing the race last year and would be very interested in the place market if I knew he would be turning up.

Anyone know anything more?

• Total Posts 1533

I really respect Paul Nichols but if he seriously thinks Master Minded will stay 3 miles he’s lost the plot. I honestly don’t think he does and the reasons he’s heading that way is they thought Kauto may be finished and Master Minded is incapable of winning another QMCC.

Unless Kauto is found to be off colour it would be total madness for him to skip the King George in preference to the Gold Cup. If he runs in the latter all that will happen is he’ll run a cracker to the top of the hill then gradually grind to a halt half way up the hill.

Trip is way too far for him now. He’s lost most of the speed that allowed him to travel to the front and steal a march on them that won him 2 Gold Cups. Look at them closely and you can see from the last he’s gaining no additional ground and really he’s just going through the motions and running on a near empty tank of gas.

He’s never had the stamina to make a fight of it up the hill, surely it’s just too much for him now? Sending him there would be like sending him on a day trip to hell.

I’d like to think the Arkle was a very good race. NH certainly thinks Finian’s Rainbow is top class and Captain Chris should make a better 2m4f-3m horse than he was a 2 miler which should stand him in good stead if all is well and he makes it on Boxing day.

I’m firmly in the Kauto Star/Captain Chris camp if they get out of their hospital beds in time. Master Minded won’t stay but Long Run should stay…… In his box before he does himself a serious injury.

He really must give his owners heart attacks at times.

theredbaron
    • Total Posts 6

Me? I wait for the ground. Captain Chris on good to soft or better. Long Run if it’s soft.
    Can’t see Kauto Star winning this time although he’ll probably run. His Betfair chase win could have been a wonderful swansong but Clive Smith is sure to send him to the well once too often.

• Total Posts 1533

Straight from Ditchat Kauto Star will definitely run in the King George as will Master Minded

Participant
    • Total Posts 33005

Kauto Star had a hard race there and I don’t expect him to turn up.

I’ve taken the 5/1 Master Minded.

Oops! :oops:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

I’ve been disappointed with Henderson’s entries again this season. Where as Nicholls has horses in all the big races, most times more than one, there have been some valuable races without a Henderson runner. Huge stable with talented horses – don’t understand it. Big races at Grade 1 tracks.

Likely that he’ll have only the one runner in this.

• Total Posts 638

I’ve been disappointed with Henderson’s entries again this season. Where as Nicholls has horses in all the big races, most times more than one, there have been some valuable races without a Henderson runner. Huge stable with talented horses – don’t understand it. Big races at Grade 1 tracks.

Henderson strength is in hurdlers and two milers at that, he is the best at that discipline in the UK. Comparitively he doesnt have many staying horses….so many races will pass without an entry

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Henderson strength is in hurdlers and two milers at that, he is the best at that discipline in the UK. Comparitively he doesnt have many staying horses….so many races will pass without an entry

He has lots of chasers, but makes mistakes with entries etc.
    ( Daves Dream is a two miler yet they persist with the 2.5 mile chases )
    Master Of The Hall has ruined his handicap mark for £20,000 when there are £50,000 handicaps about. Just think they could be targeted better. He also has some stayers running over inadequate trips

• Total Posts 2440

Does anyone know if Riverside Theatre will be running in this?

• Total Posts 57

Does anyone know if Riverside Theatre will be running in this?

Henderson said he’s ‘very unlikely’ to run, as he’s not yet fit (if I remember correctly)

• Total Posts 2440

Henderson said he’s ‘very unlikely’ to run, as he’s not yet fit (if I remember correctly)

Thank you!

I thought it was unlikely as he hasn’t been seen out yet.

I actually fancy Somersby to finish in-front of Master Minded in this one, with it being over 3 miles.

theredbaron
    • Total Posts 6

Bit of talking horse, old Somersby methinks. 19/20 furlongs is his shout but the Huntingdon Chase showed his level of ability – not top class.
    If Henrietta hadn’t trained Best Mate I doubt that Somersby would be mentioned so much.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Has anyone got any recent updates on Captain Chris’s fitness? I think if he lines up on the day he could seriously be the one to upset the apple cart. I predict a place at least and if he’s there on the day, with Long Run and Kauto probably being backed to the nines, he could well go off at double figure odds, massive value :wink:

• Total Posts 660

The market is saying this is a 6 horse race between LR, Kauto, MM, Captain Chris, Somersby and Diamond Harry.

The last two are fairly exposed now and seem to lack the class to win. I am not sure about CC – he has never raced over 3 miles and might be short of race practice. Similarly MM might not get the trip. On the other hand presumably the trainers know what they are doing.

Kauto was third last year despite a burst blood vessel. Conceivably he might have won otherwise, although he was beaten by Long Run by a long way in the subsequent Gold Cup when both were probably at peak fitness. In my view Kauto prefers Kempton to Cheltenham given his record overall. And as he has beaten LR recently on a flat track his odds of 9/2 seem quite generous either win or e/w. Difficult to see him out of the first three given the paucity of opposition.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

The market is saying this is a 6 horse race between LR, Kauto, MM, Captain Chris, Somersby and Diamond Harry.

The last two are fairly exposed now and seem to lack the class to win. I am not sure about CC – he has never raced over 3 miles and might be short of race practice. Similarly MM might not get the trip. On the other hand presumably the trainers know what they are doing.

Kauto was third last year despite a burst blood vessel. Conceivably he might have won otherwise, although he was beaten by Long Run by a long way in the subsequent Gold Cup when both were probably at peak fitness. In my view Kauto prefers Kempton to Cheltenham given his record overall. And as he has beaten LR recently on a flat track his odds of 9/2 seem quite generous either win or e/w. Difficult to see him out of the first three given the paucity of opposition.

The flipside :

Kauto was trained to the second for Haydock, Long Run was not, and Henderson’s have improved since then.
    Both horses were 6 when winning their first King George in similar conditions, Long Run in the quicker time, and had also proven a liking for the course in the Feltham. Also, i think Long Run was tested more in his first year in Britain, running in a Feltham, an RSA and a Paddy Power before attempting the King George against quality opposition. Kauto a couple of wins to his name and a brief run in the Queen Mother, before meeting opposition at Kempton that was thin on quality.

Long Run could well be a better horse than Kauto was at a similar stage in his career. Would you take on a 2007 Kauto with todays vintage ?

The only slight doubt for me is still Wally. I just think Long Run would be even better with Geraghty in the saddle

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 387 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.