The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

King George 2011 & 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion King George 2011 & 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 324 through 340 (of 387 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

10/1 about the top class Cue Card with Boylesports should be taken imo

Agree 100%

Only been out the first two twice in his 11 races so far, which i think is a fairly impressive record given some of the races he’s ran in. Was very impressive on his reappearance in Haldon stuffing Edgardo Sol & Menorah by 25+ lengths. The only worry for me would be he hasn’t been this far before. Worth the risk though imo!

Breeding and last three races suggest that 3 miles at Kempton should be ideal

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I like Cue Card although he has failed me a couple of times when fancied. Hand on heart, I think he will run out of "gravy" on Boxing Day.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

If i were Henderson i’d enter three, because Conti will take some stopping at Kempton. Don’t like him for the Gold Cup though

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Pretty sure Silviniaco Conti is skipping Kempton MarkTT.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Pretty sure Silviniaco Conti is skipping Kempton MarkTT.

Because of Al Ferof ?

Just read PN’s quotes. Don’t agree about the track.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Don’t think it’s because of Al Ferof, pretty sure Nicholls said he wants to keep him fresh for the Gold Cup.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Don’t think it’s because of Al Ferof, pretty sure Nicholls said he wants to keep him fresh for the Gold Cup.

He’s claimed the course doesn’t suit him

• Total Posts 121

I have heard from a very reliable source close to the horse that Sizing Europe will definitely run here and not Lepardstown.The owner is keen to try again at 3m and I think if hes to get the trip anywhere it will be here.Hes a confident choice and any of the 8’s left should be taken rapidly(Ive snapped the 9.8 on BF).Hes is by far the classiest horse in this field.His two wins this year have been very good and lto he wasnt stopping over 2m4f around Clonmel,after the race Henry said he’d love to see him over 3m on good ground and since 06 there has been good in the going every year at Kempton.No other negatives apart from the trip but others on the field also have this question mark above them(Cue Card,Al Ferof,F.Rainbow),some have been in poor form so far this year(Grand Crus) and Long Run has been hard to win with and doesnt look the same as 2 years ago.Hes a NAP selection for me,im going oveboard for Christmas because I know this lad will cover my expenses :wink:

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

is the trip even a negative for sizing europe? that time he was beaten by quito de la roque, the ground was pretty testing (it generally is in ireland) and I get the impression he’d get 3 miles around kempton standing on his head.

Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Long Run is officialy the highest rated horse in the race and unlike nearly all of the challengers, is guaranteed to have no problems with the trip.

Funny as it may sound for a Gold Cup winner but Cheltenham doesn’t appear to be his track. Beaten in the RSA, Paddy Power (off 11-1) and 2012 Gold Cup, the only top class performance he has put in there was his 2011 Gold Cup win.

Compare that with his 3 runs at Kempton when he has run away with a Feltham and King George and was only beaten by Kauto last year – when without clattering the last he might well have got up.

There are a number of horses in this race that could improve past him for the step up in trip but they all have question marks in that area.

Other than the jockey – who let’s be fair hasn’t done too badly on the horse – there aren’t any question marks. Sure, he’d be a better horse if he could jump like Silviniaco Conti but he does enough.

I really hope they do decide to let him bowl along and use his assured stamina and while he is not without his flaws and quite possibly is on the decline as hinted at in some quarters, for me he’s still the most solid bet in the race and 7/2 is just about takeable.

Lee

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Tony McCoy is being courted for the ride aboard Kauto Stone. Do you guys think he will suit the horse?

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

surely the way things have been going recently, you’ve got to favour the second season chasers here.

as much as I respect sizing europe, (and at the same time rapidly losing respect for long run :shock: ) he’s got his hands full here dealing with the likes of al ferof, kauto stone, cue card, grands crus, sir des champs etc.

sir des champs looks like a typical old-fashioned chaser so I personally doubt kempton will suit him.

grands crus does love kempton (he would have won last years king george I think, if he had been in it) so as much as I was writing him off earlier in this thread, (doubtless rich1985 will be on later to chastise me for the heinous crime of changing my mind :wink: ) if he can rediscover his form from the feltham he could make fools of us all.

worry is at the back of my mind is that he may have lost confidence.if they have solved what has been troubling him (he’s just had a breathing op) then he might end up winning this doing handstands.

al ferof i’m not so keen on. I notice theres been some evidence put forward that on breeding he’ll struggle to get 3 miles. I would also be concerned about the track, and whether or not he’ll be quite good enough.

kauto stone would also fall under the category is he really in this class? i have my doubts.

which all leaves cue card. he’s the most exciting horse in the field for me. as has been pointed out, most of the horses from his sire actually improve for the step up to three miles.

basically i’m going to follow mordin like a junkie here and hope it comes off :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Sir Des Champs 8/1 with Boyles, who are going non runner no bet…

All in :P

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

had a look at cue cards haldon cup win last night, wow that was seriously impressive.

if he does stay i think he’ll jizz up :shock:

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Lets see how much Mr. Nicholls fancies his Championship. I have a feeling connections may feel S. Conti is ideal for Kempton after all!

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Lets see how much Mr. Nicholls fancies his Championship. I have a feeling connections may feel S. Conti is ideal for Kempton after all!

Ever the cynic PC! :mrgreen:

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

I’m no expert horse trainer, but surely a weeks notice to get a horse ready for the King George, even if he has been ticking over, is much too little? :?

Viewing 17 posts - 324 through 340 (of 387 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.