The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Kennel Hill

Home Forums Memorials Kennel Hill

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Seventy Four
    Participant
    • Total Posts 155

I am sure that I read in the Racing Post in a passing comment about the trainer that Kennel Hill had to be put down after being pulled up in his latest race at Cheltenham last Friday evening.

The form book doesn’t mention it – merely that he was pulled up by Tony McCoy before 3 out after losing his action and being pushed along when 4 lengths down in second place.

If this is indeed the case, I would like to say to connections how very sorry I am to hear this. Despite his well known quirks, Kennel Hill had real talent and was third at 66/1 at Cheltenham, as well as winning a hunter chase at Downpatrick in Ireland and taking a maiden hurdle at Ludlow after his splended run at Cheltenham.

RIP old boy – you certainly didn’t deserve this. :cry:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2264

oh no :cry: rip old boy

vf

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Aww no poor Kennel Hill.

I think he had a fear of crowd noise rather than being ungenuine as such, as he tended to hang away from the stands.

Whatever reason, he had a great character and I’ll miss him.

RIP

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

Really sad news, especially after such a great race at the festival. RIP Kennel Hill.

darwengray
    • Total Posts 90

He had become my favourite horse ,very sad indeed .

Robert Gibbs
    Participant
    • Total Posts 325

You might be correct, and I hope not. But I read in the post the next day that his racing career was probably over, but that he could probably be saved. If something has been written since I’ve not seen it. I’ve just had a look online and couldn’t find anything.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

Oh, I do hope they saved him. Isn’t it strange how we get attached to some horses without realising that so many other people are feeling the same way.

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 353

I found this:

Goldsworthy, who suffered a big blow to his small yard when Kennel Hill had to be put down at Cheltenham on Friday,

which was in the RP online 19th April after Putney Bridge won.

Was at the course that day and we weren’t sure what happened. Kennel Hill was pulled up, but McCoy seemed happy to hack him back. Then near the 2nd last he suddenly jumped off, groundstaff arrived, the screens went up and we thought the worst. Saw one of the connections go racing down the track. But the horse was led into the ambulance and we saw him boxed back past us to the stables so things looked brighter.

If it is true it’s awful news, with the yard losing Hold ‘Em at Cheltenham as well this year. Terrible blow for a small yard and condolences.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

It’s a well-worn adage that "it always seems to happen to the smaller trainers", but there is no getting away from the fact that this is a second huge blow for Keith Goldsworthy in 2010, as suggested above.

It’s clear that the trainer had a huge amount of affection for Kennel Hill notwithstanding all his quirks ("he’s put 20 years on me, that bloody horse" was one especially memorable quote after the Ludlow victory), and had already put a plan in place to, and I quote, "terrorise all the long-distance novice hurdlers this summer", before trying out fences again some time in 2011. Regrettably, a mere plan that will forever remain now.

Rest easy, Kennel Hill.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

• Total Posts 21

Didnt see any coverage on Friday and am so so sad to hear this news. He was a real character, the question often being not would he win but would he even decide to run!
    I was lucky enough to see him several times – not only a loss to the trainer, but a sad loss to racing.
    Bless your heart and RIP Kennell Hill. :cry:

darwengray
    • Total Posts 90

I can`t remember being this upset at a horses death for a long time Griffins Bar was the last one that really got under my skin.
    What a bloody shame :cry:

rich_ie
    • Total Posts 87

Really sad to hear this. He reminded me so much of Triptych, the horse that got me into racing in the first place, in that he had a mind of his own and though talented would just as easily stop if he felt like it. I thought he was fine, as though pulled up, he seemed to hack back behind the other two. Devastating for a small trainer to lose two horses as good as those in the same season.

• Total Posts 811

So what was the matter? Seems strange that a horse which could be hacked back as described could not be saved – if not to race again but at least to not have to be pts ..

• Total Posts 1

Does anyone have a link of this issue? or can post the whole info of the said article? I want to view and read the full detail..
    please. please..
    Thanks!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.