The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Kauto

Home Forums Horse Racing Kauto

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

I think Nicholls is in denial.

His comments in today’s RP about Kauto Star running better in this year’s Gold Cup than last year’s were just his attempt to ease his conscience: re-interpreting the facts to justify him running the horse again when he clearly finished tired.

His comments after today’s race (the tactics beat him) are the same: another way to avoid admitting that Kauto Star should have been put away for the season.

The combination of the horse now seemingly being disposable because the stable has Denman, and Nicholl’s flimsy self-justifications have me fearing for the horse’s health – they’re talking about bringing him out at Sandown now. Unbelievable…

And if you think Nicholls isn’t that bad – you just have to remember Azertyuiop’s last race (at Sandown).

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Hang on a minute – KS and ED have been taking each other on for two seasons. Apart from the GC, there has been a consistent look about the finishing positions in their races. The closest ED got was in this year’s Betfair but I am of the opinion KS was not fully at his peak this year until the King George.

I can’t be having these arguments that everytime KS runs below form, so, conveniently, does ED. ED ran a perfectly respectable race today and finished where one might expect him to based upon the majority of his form with KS.

I honestly believe KS was beaten by tactics today, although I am loathe to take away credit from the Pipe yard for a gallant success. I honestly believe KS was beaten fair and square at Cheltenham. As I have said before today, I saw KS in a different light today and I am glad he has come back in one piece. He is not however the horse his fans believed he was I am afraid. But that is not to say his achievements thus far have not been immense – not many horses have won two King George’s and a Gold Cup and Tingle Creek.

I can’t be bothered writing along post as I am still fuming at PN best thing is read NWRA’s post as he says it all

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I think Nicholls is in denial.

His comments in today’s RP about Kauto Star running better in this year’s Gold Cup than last year’s were just his attempt to ease his conscience: re-interpreting the facts to justify him running the horse again when he clearly finished tired.

His comments after today’s race (the tactics beat him) are the same: another way to avoid admitting that Kauto Star should have been put away for the season.

The combination of the horse now seemingly being disposable because the stable has Denman, and Nicholl’s flimsy self-justifications have me fearing for the horse’s health – they’re talking about bringing him out at Sandown now. Unbelievable…

And if you think Nicholls isn’t that bad – you just have to remember Azertyuiop’s last race (at Sandown).

My best friend was atrainer before he was killed he would turn in his grave reading your post as it is so accurate……….He would have beat the crap out of me if I had even suggested running Kauto here, if he was mine, after Ascot and Chetenham…..Pipes another one Loch Derg has never ran 9 races in a season in his life and he’s had it tougher than Kauto….Order of Merit>………Cruelty it should be called

Mac9
    • Total Posts 58

Lough Derg is all set to run again on Saturday I believe. That’s a complete joke if it happens.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Cue fireworks

A Racehorses primary aim is to win races and win money for the owner. I know we like to have ethics and everything else but if I was Clive Smith and had a horse that had to win a 5 horse race against horses he’d comprehensively stuffed many times before in order to win £200,000 I would run him. We like to think of them as pets but really they’re not.

When Best Mate was put away all the time people were on here crowing about not running him enough. A jumps horse only has a realistic racing life of around 5-6 years and Kauto will be in that bracket next year.

I’m sorry but I think they should have run him. They just buggered up the execution.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Firstly I think they had every right to run him if he was fit and well. He could go lame next week or out on grass and never run again.
    Secondly I think you’re all pocket-talking overstating the importance of the tactics used, which were similar to those employed at Haydock and Kempton where he was committed plenty early enough. If he was in the same form as Ascot or Kempton today he’d have won with me on him- quite clearly his season has caught up with him and I’m hoping you all write him off now (would be a change to hear about something else on here) so he’ll be value in his early starts next year!

BennyB
    • Total Posts 235

Couldn’t agree more Aragorn. I was having exactly the same debate with the missus yesterday. If he was mine, I would have run him.

Look at how often Dessie ran – every 5 weeks near enough… I appreciate he was an exceptionally tough beast, but really people want it both ways. They moan about the cotton wool, Best Mate scenario, and then complain when sporting owners run their horses more often.

Horses are there to race, as racing fans we enjoy seeing them race, and we should be pleased that we get to see Kauto 6 times a year rather than 3.

(IMO, of course).

Cruella
    • Total Posts 108

A jumps horse only has a realistic racing life of around 5-6 years

And running a horse too quickly after an especially hard race can shorten that lifespan considerably. Say a horse is used to X number of weeks between its races and is trained to peak in time for a particular race which in the event proves fairly gruelling, more so than it is accustomed to. For it then to have an ‘afterthought’ race thrown at it after a shorter timescale than its usual ‘recovery’ period must have a detrimental effect on its physical (and possibly mental) state.

They aren’t pets but they aren’t machines either.

Having said that, I agree that if KS had jumped the second last he would have won. But still, at what cost? I have no doubt that if he’d won the Gold Cup doing handsprings and sewn up the OoM at Cheltenham, there wouldn’t have been a cat in hell’s chance of him running today. Who had the easier race in the GC? Denman. But he’s already been put away for the season, despite PN’s assertions that if horses are ‘fit and well’ they should be running.

beckster
    • Total Posts 292

Bit soon to be writing him off IMO, will win at the top level again next season.

We shall see – Azertyuiop never came back after they went cash hunting with him.

HERE HERE and soon forgotten to make way for the next good horse…………… :cry:

chloed
    • Total Posts 433

cant dismiss KS that quickly , he was beaten a nose by a horse that has a new lease of life, 3 weeks after chelt. KS will be back winning , if he is turned out and given long holiday.
    would also add murphy gave our vic a very intelligent ride, and how that jock stuck to christy beamish, i will never know, must have superglue on his saddle.

Sean Rua
    • Total Posts 511

They’ve had more than their money’s worth out of this KS. He’s burnt out now, but he owes connections nothing, imo.

I didn’t notice the tongue-tie at Cheltenham, but I did today. Does he usually wear one?

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Kauto Star has been tongue tied on every outing in Britain.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

The same story as Cheltenham in my view, the horse didn’t jump anything like as well as he can, and the writing was on the wall with a hesistant jump at the 2nd obstacle into the race. The horses has made plenty of errors in the past, but has never jumped consistently badly as he has in his last 2 races. This is just not the same horse as he was, and to suggest Our Vic has found a stone or more improvement since the King George borders on insanity. Nor does the sugggestion that he was ‘done for pace’ by Denman hold up in the light of today’s poor run, whatever the reason, Kauto Star just isn’t the horse he was.
    Ruby was obviously in bits about today’s run, and his rare show of emotion suggests that there was something significantly more than questionable riding instructions behind his tears.
    Let’s all hope whatever ails the horse isn’t permanent.

tenbob
    • Total Posts 156

kauto reminded me of a heavyweight world champion jumping back into the ring to early after losing his crown and going down to an inferior opponent on points.
    my view is he will come back and possibly regain his no1 status next season with a lesser campaign.
    just a thought 7/1 may be a massive price come next March due to the fact this horse is pretty sound and all being fair will make the line up.

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

You know i thought the performance was good, hardly a ‘shadow of his former self’. He looked a very tired horse after that last jump, it wasn’t that long ago since the Gold cup. How can you write him off so quickly?! amazing how people love horses and calling them ‘the next arkle’ one minute but then dismissing them after being beat – and may i point out by a nose! Hardly a terrible performance. He’ll be back next year as fit as ever i’m sure.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 139 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.