The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Kauto Star

Home Forums Horse Racing Kauto Star

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 464 total)
  • Author
    clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

That was a superb performance….

He looks like a more confident horse this year maybe? But what a natural and barely extended

Turko jumped beautifully too…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Clivex<br> Just about to write the same thing myself. He was hugely impressive considering he shoud come on a lot for the race, was giving lumps of weight away, and was never asked even the tiniest question.<br>Don’t normally do ante-post, but 7’s for the King George looks an absolute steal on this showing.<br>TDK<br> Have you no soul?:biggrin:

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

Superb performance. He was entitled to beat todays opposition but he couldn’t have done it any easier. It’ll be interesting to see if they go up in trip with him now the King George is the obvious target. On the evidence of todays performance three miles around Kempton should hold no fears for him.

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Great performance.  Certainty to stay the KG trip?? :cool:

SHL

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Although visually impressive, I don’t think he did anything which wasn’t expected of him and to see his price drop on BF from approx 12.50 to a low of 4.50 is a bit of an overaction. Can’t see the 3m around Kempton being much of a problem although the 25.00 for Monkerhostin looks like the best bet at current BF prices.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

He was impressive, but the form does have the potential to be muddling with all of his rivals probably below form. Looking ahead I think he’ll be a better off going over further, with King George and Gold Cup as his targets as I have a feeling his jumping might just find him out against the likes of Newmill back at 2m. Hopefully Newmill will come over for the Tingle Creek and that should tell us plenty.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4811

Ruby Walsh looked very happy and sounded bullish about KS in the post race interview and he’s definately not one given to overstatement.

On another note I really enjoyed the Beebs coverage of Aintree this afternoon.  Norman Williamson is doing a great job and having McCoys comments in running was a real bonus. Also some of the close up shots were superb.  All they need now is a commentator!

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

<br>Cracking performance today and great start to the jumps season proper apart from the usual spate of season-ending setbacks for some.:(

I know that Nicholls has Star De Mohaison but if Kauto were mine, I’d think about going for the Betfair Chase next!

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I was looking forward to this race .. but what a rotten show it turned out to be .. the obvious alternative Nyrche going off at 5/2 was a farce.

I suppose the someone will be happy returning 1.8% per runner from this event.<br> ;)

jonny1ph
    • Total Posts 44

I was impressed by KS but am cautious because of the opposition beaten today. I thought Nick Luck on RUK was about to be overcome by emotion after the race he was that happy. <br>It was good today as for me the jump season proper started. <br>

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Quote: from davidjohnson on 9:03 pm on Oct. 22, 2006[br]He was impressive, but the form does have the potential to be muddling with all of his rivals probably below form. Looking ahead I think he’ll be a better off going over further, with King George and Gold Cup as his targets as I have a feeling his jumping might just find him out against the likes of Newmill back at 2m. Hopefully Newmill will come over for the Tingle Creek and that should tell us plenty.<br>

I think its natural to keep a cautious side when anybody sees a horse win like that.  Still, you would have to be impressed.  On the issue of staying, he wouldnt be the first horse that can run a comfortable 2mile 4 or 5 and not get home in the King George.. remember Remittance Man.   Was does his breeding suggest??

SHL

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Quote: from Grasshopper on 2:48 pm on Oct. 23, 2006[br]It’s long been my contention that Kauto Star would improve for being upped in trip, and running on softer ground – all his novice form in France pointed to it.

I tend to agree with DJ that, back at 2m and on quicker ground, he might be vulnerable (I’m not an advocate of last years Tingle Creek form), but I can’t see how he is one to oppose by default wherever he goes, as TDK appears to suggest.

SHL, yes, I well remember Remittance Man’s only attempt in the King George, but was it a case of him not getting home, or was it a case of him not stripping match-fit that day (his only prep run having been in a two-runner effective walkover)?

Regardless, to finish third to The Fellow and Docklands Express doesn’t read to badly in hindsight, does it? :)

Dunno about Kauto Star’s breeding, tbh, but I can’t see any easy 3m round Kempton being beyond him.<br>

Afterwards, I think most peoples impression of RM was that he didnt get home since he was cantering three out.  I think you might have a point about the lack of steeper opposition in his prep but I dont think that was it.  

KS looks like he will stay but like I say,wont be a massive shock if he does not.

SHL

wana
    • Total Posts 9

I was very impressed by yesterdays victory,true to some extent you can ask what did he beat,but if that is the question,how on earth was he allowed to go off at evs…surely the bet of the season(I doubt there will be better evs money shots throughout the rest of it)..

Needless to say I bought into the Nicholls mind games,if he overhyped him last year,he has done the exact opposite this year,saying he’ll come on for the run,we may just give him more runs this season etc,so I didn’t have a peeny on him..

I have to agree with Grassy’s earlier statement,3miles should hold no problems for him and as mentioned he had winning form in france over 2m 4f,and he will have got stronger since his 4y/o days..

I would be very wary of opposing him next time out,he could go off very short,but if he is any kind of price(subject to race),I would rather back than lay after yesterdays performance

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Wana, couldn’t agree more, I thought it would go off 1/2.. Evens was a great price, all he had to do was get round.. Nothing else there was anywhere near the same class.

Alderbrook
    • Total Posts 349

Concur with the people questioning Kauto still.

Visually impressive, but didn’t beat much at the weights.  Rooby accentuates such victories too in his style.

Would also appreciate any comments from those in attendance regarding the fitness of KS and the others.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 464 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.