The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Kauto cleans up

Home Forums Horse Racing Kauto cleans up

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

At the Anglo-Irish jump racing awards

Well done, and for the most part thoroughly deserved.

But check this out:

"The seven-year-old, who is owned by Clive Smith and trained by Paul Nicholls, claimed no less than four awards, including the coveted Horse of the Year title.

Kauto Star was also crowned champion 2m, 2m4f and 3m plus chaser."

If anyone can tell me how Kauto Star deserves the 2m4f award I’d be much obliged. Beating Armaturk & Mister McGoldrick isn’t really that worthy of an award. Also, does anyone know if 2m5f performances can qualify for this category, or are they insistent on that particular 220 yards?

And this is only a matter of opinion, but over the season I thought Voy Por Ustedes stood out in the 2m division, coming down to win the Tingle Creek is also quite a threadbare case for KS taking that award.

Other than that, as I say extremely thoroughly deserved. And he’s only 7, as I’d forgotten! I look forward to watching him at the top level for a good few years to come.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>Given that the only two Grade 1 chases in the UK over 2m 4f (Ascot and Aintree) were both won by Monets Garden, giving the award at that trip to KS does seem to undermine the point of having a Grade 1 classification!

AP

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

<br>Take your point AP, but which would you have bet, had they both met at that distance?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>KS of course Reet!

I’ve no idea on what basis these awards are judged, just agree with Friggo that it seems a bit odd to give all the prizes to the same horse.

Still, as Mr Warnock said yesterday after his team were relegated on Sunday – ‘it’s all chip paper by Tuesday’.

AP<br>

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

Beating Armaturk & Mister McGoldrick isn’t really that worthy of an award.

Not even when you do it by 21 lengths giving 9lbs?

He’s got the highest rating at each distance, hence he’s the champion at each distance.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Quote: from Friggo on 6:55 pm on May 14, 2007[br
    Kauto Star was also crowned Mohaisonhsould champion 2m, 2m4f and 3m plus chaser.“[/i]

But what did he beat? :biggrin:

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Quote: from Gareth Flynn on 7:47 pm on May 14, 2007[br]

Beating Armaturk & Mister McGoldrick isn’t really that worthy of an award.

Not even when you do it by 21 lengths giving 9lbs?

He’s got the highest rating at each distance, hence he’s the champion at each distance.<br>

One: Not when you do it once in a season. Had it been at Wetherby, perhaps beating Mister McGoldrick like that would actually mean something.

And I can’t see where you’re coming from on the bottom point at all. His chase rating, as with all horses, is the same regardless of distance. And besides, this is ‘Horse of the Year’, not ‘The Best Horse in Training as Mr BHB Sees It’.

dave 22
    • Total Posts 339

The reason he won all 3 awards was because he simply recorded the highest rating at those distances last season, and therefore fully deserves all 3 awards. What other way do people suggest the awards are awarded?<br>A vote? biggest winning distance! best jumper! <br>The awards also highlight to me what a poor champion hurdle it was this year!

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

I have to admit that I forgot about Monet’s Garden as when I first heard about Kauto sweeping the board, I thought it was obvious that he would.

I presume that the rating that KS acheived when winning at Aintree bettered the 2 ratings that MG acheived for the 2m4f Grade One’s right? The Ascot race was poor but the Melling Chase was very decent I thought.

KS should definitely hold the 2m title because he cantered all over the Queen Mother winner by 7L!

How on earth did Chief Dan George win best staying novice hurdler? Wichita Lineman & Massini’s Maguire quite clearly cut each throats at Aintree otherwise CDG wouldn’t have seen which way they went.

(Edited by PAULCS at 10:38 pm on May 14, 2007)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.