The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Josh Gifford

Home Forums Memorials Josh Gifford

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1436

Racing has lost a true gentleman with the news of the passing of Josh Gifford. One of the old school, well liked and respected and a true ambassador for the sport.

Condolences to his family.

RIP, Josh Gifford.

KenhKenh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 738

Yes, it is sad news. One of those trainers who I grew up during my interest in racing.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

The word "great" is used too frequently in my opinion. However in Josh’s case it is wholly appropriate and applicable. A great jockey, great trainer, great ambassador for the sport, and perhaps more importantly a great man.
    As a younger man I remember speaking to him – I was nothing to him but he spent his time freely talking to me, which was more than I could have asked for.
    Who can ever forget that day when he finally overcame his Cheltenham Festival hoodoo – priceless !
    You will be sadly missed Josh. God bless all those that he left behind.
    R.I.P.

BosranicBosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

As a boy just starting an interest in racing, I remember his top class chaser Bradbury Star. One of my favourites at the time.

Racing will always be indebted to Josh for the pivotal role he played in one of the greatest stories in sporting history. A story that reached out and touched people beyond the sphere of horse racing.

Thank-You, Mr Gifford.

HimselfHimself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

Sad news indeed. A fine trainer and a good jockey in his day. Josh Gifford was a quiet, unassuming man, very rarely given to ranting or raving. The faith and trust he showed in Bob Champion during his illness was the mark of the man.

I still remember Aldaniti’s win with great affection. One of my best ante-post wins at twice the starting price odds. I also fondly remember Kybo ( same owners ) who won the Christmas Hurdle in 1978, and who was arguably the best horse that Josh Gifford trained.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

ZamorstonZamorston
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1113

Always sad when the game loses one of the greats :cry:

Was one of my early favourite trainers when I first started taking a big interest in racing.

RIP

HurdygurdymanHurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1559

Tommorrow is Schweppes Gold Trophy Day for those of us who remember Josh Gifford the jockey for him to die just before the race is doubly sad.

Josh was with Capt Ryan Price way back in 1963 and rode the winner Rosyth in the the very first running of the race.

The following year in one of the best ever Schweppes’s He, the Capt and Rosyth pulled it off again beating 2 Champion Hurdle winners in Salmon Spray and Magic Court with the classy Sempervivum splitting the 2 champs.

Two years later in 1966 the team of Price and Gifford were at it again when Josh stormed home by 6 lengths on Le Vermontois pulling of a massive gamble in the process.

In 1967 yet again they teamed up with Hill House who had been subject to some real hefty AP bets but on form didn’t look good enough. The market was wide open and nothing stood out in the race
    and most said there was no way on form Hill House could possibly win and if he did questions would be asked. Ask away said the Capt and Hill House and Josh stormed home by 12 lengths. :wink:

In 1968 It took none other than Persian War to stop then winning it yet again with Major Rose who went down by only 1/2 length.

Josh and the Capt were the Schweppes. It was their race, they owned it.

Josh was unlucky not to have ridden a Grand National winner when he chased Foinavon home on Honey End but he didn’t half make up for it as a trainer with Aldaniti.

R.I.P.

vikingflagshipvikingflagship
    • Total Posts 852

sad news when i read about his passing yesterday, a special man, wll be missed by many, but never forgotten, reunited with his natonal hero, aldaniti rip

vf

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5767

A fine jockey, fine trainer and fine man. Joshua Thomas Gifford.
    Born 3 August 1941; died 9 February 2012

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

bozlikebozlike
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1678

I’m only 24, so I wasn’t around to see a lot of the man, and so can’t share any memories like the rest of you, but the piece on Channel 4 before made me realise what a true racing great we have just lost. A great shame.

RIP Josh Gifford.

@TomBarkley87
    topweighttom.blogspot.com

greektown
    Participant
    • Total Posts 50

sad news when i read about his passing yesterday, a special man, wll be missed by many, but never forgotten, reunited with his natonal hero, aldaniti rip

vf

Also reunited with his brother , Macer. Another fine amateur rider and very nice man.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.