The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Joni's Poni's Season 4

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips Joni's Poni's Season 4

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 391 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I like Brown Panther for tomorrow. He seems best earlier in the season and then by time Royal Ascot comes around he’s not so good. I don’t know if it’s the trip of the Gold Cup or whether he’s a spring horse but I would back him over Romsdal and Snow Sky.

Ajman Bridge appeals more to me than Top Tug from the Stoute stable. I thought Stoutie’s horse looked as if he needed softer ground last time and it’s just gone good to firm. Cumani’s horse ran well last time and he’ll go on this surface. I think the step up will help and I expect a big run at 9/2 from him.

I prefer Yasmeen to Sperry, she was a nice winner last time, must improve and the 2nd and 4th from her race both won well next time out. I would Nap her and expect 5/2 to beat SP.

Best of luck with them all Joni.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Yes Snow Sky is very unexposed and could be an old fashioned Stoute improver only, is it just me, or are there less of those these days? His stable is not filling with me confidence.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

There has been an absolute DELUGE of cash for two of Hugo Palmer’s today. Somebody clearly knows something!

£50 win Harry Champion – 7-2 – 1.50 Newbury loser
    £80 win Lobster Pot – 5-2 – 5.00 Newbury loser
    £20 win double

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

My fav jockey is riding out of his skin at the moment and I see he is still 25-1 to win the Jockeys title. I can’t resist it.

£50 win Silvestre De Sousa – Jockeys Championship 25-1

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Nice win by Sperry Joni. I thought Yasmeen was decent so to beat her will prove pretty good form I think.

Brown Panther probably bumped into an improver in Snow Sky and it was interesting that Michael Stoute declared that 1m 6f was as far as the son of Nayef would want to go, and in the next breath nominated the Melbourne Cup as his long term target.

As I thought, Top Tug didn’t handle the ground and was climbing all over it in the closing stages. Ajman Bridge ran a frustrating race, looking to travel well before taking an absolute age to start staying on and finishing 3rd. A little bit disappointed by the way he ran but at least he beat the original, ropey looking favourite in Top Tug, who needs strong consideration when there’s cut in the ground.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Thanks Stevie – a very mixed day. I thought Brown Panther was going to out SS for a second but the winner did it well in the end. Sperry won well and Destalink came there swinging only to tire in the last 100 yards and even get run out of a place. As for those people that “knew” something about the Hugo Palmer horses – I wish they’d have kept it to themselves!

The good news is that SDS rode a 4 timer and is now 7-1 from the 25’s that he was at 2pm!!! Hughes will probably win it but SDS will be riding up and down the country and has no commitments abroad so I could get a decent run for my money.

Looking forward to tomorrow and meeting some of the TRF’s – I’ll be bringing the whole family and hopefully Nath will get some nice snaps of us all. Might post a couple of bets before I go but it doesn’t look easy……

-£145.12

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

I’ll try my best Joni but that camera of mine has a mind of it’s own, I think I have overused it.
    I’ll be able to check out your camera work too with plenty of snaps of myself with Emmylou xx
    See you tomorrow mate.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A couple of quick bets before I go. Looks tricky so small stakes but NOT is a backable price now and will win.

£25ew Waady – 9-2 – 2.35 Newbury loser
    £25ew Time Test – 11-2 – 3.10 Newbury winner
    £100 win Night Of Thunder – 3-1 – 3.45 Newbury winner
    £25ew Entertainment – 8-1 – 4.20 Newbury loser

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A fab day at Newbury with the definite highlight being meeting the legendary Nathan Hughes!! He is as nice in the flesh as he is on here – a true gent and I loved being in his company and sharing thoughts on our favourite subject. I have always found being a horse racing fan quite lonely – so few people to share opinions with and talk racing – so it is a joy to talk shop with a fellow enthusiast.

The racing was excellent and we were privileged to watch a genius at work. Ryan Moore has to be the best jockey of his generation and he showed that today – the ride he gave Time Test was absolutely brilliant. I thought Time Test looked a sure fire group winner in the making, the Tercentary at Royal Ascot looks like being his next race and he would have to start fav after today. He was rode with supreme confidence and was stone last 3 out. But RM never panicked and the way he quickened between the front two was very impressive.

Telescope looked AWESOME in the paddock and I am certain he will be winning Group 1’s this year. But it is that Group 1 in disguise, The Hardwicke, that is the first port of call.

They all finished on top of each other in the Lockinge which suggests there was nothing out of the ordinary in the field but I still think the front 4 were all eye-catchers. NOT won well – he probably hit the front plenty soon enough and was forced over to the rail but he was always holding his stablemate and is bound to come on for the race as he did last year. Toormore ran an absolute cracker as he was out front for most of the race and I thought he would be run out of it entering the final furlong. But he kept on very well and will probably improve as much if not more than NOT. I really wouldn’t know which one to pick next time out. Arod ran a massive race and I actually thought he was a little unlucky as he didn’t have much room close home. I know the plan is to keep him at a mile but I would love to see him over 10f. Integral also ran well and will certainly improve and be tough to beat amongst her own sex.

Panoma was very unlucky in the fillies race as she was badly checked just as the winner was setting sail for home. Saying that, the winner won very impressively and would have to be on the Oaks shortlist in an open year.

All in all a very nice day in the sun watching some top class horses in top class company!

£227.76

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Glad you people had a good day out.

Time Test was in my tips competition today, along with Spark Plug. Sadly they were both reserves and the rest could not cut it apart from Red Baron. I tipped Pamona as well but I think Stoute’s winner looks the one for the Oaks out of the race but not at 8/1 for me anyway.

I was quite pleased with Integral, she wasn’t beaten far and she seemed keen enough early. I’d have preferred to see her with a bit of cover but she will win a big race this year against the fillies and mares. She’s been good to me anyway and I like her a lot.

Moohaarib ran a stinker and I have looked at Marco Botti’s recent form and there have been a worrying percentage of horses who have run a stinker this past week or so. He had a few today who were very disappointing and I’d tread carefully for now with them.

I had to laugh today when I saw one of the pundits napping a Charlie Hills trained horse. The stable are 0/42 this month. You wonder if some people should be in a different line of work.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Great meeting up with you and the twins today Joni, certainly the highlight of the day.
    I’ve got some good photo’s mate, so pm your address and I’ll get them sorted. Red Reflection finished stone last after you left and I lost on Liverpool in the bookies waiting for the train but Crystal Malt got me a bit back. I will catch up with the replays tomorrow but Time Test looked outstanding and I also thought Pamona was unlucky and lost all momentum at the vital time. Toormore ran as I expected, I always knew NOT would be hard to crack but Toormore was still way too big at the off at 10/1.
    I got the impression Windshear is lazy, when catching Richard Hughes giving him a stern telling off on the way back after the race, giving him a nudge and saying ‘you’re not ******* tired now’ after the horse was playing up.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I am still following Hugo Palmer horses – he has a fantastic website by the way, well worth checking out as he provides lengthy updates on his horses and their chances. Anyway he runs Spirit Of Sound in the first at Newcastle today and I think he is worth a few quid each way even though there are now only 7 runners. This one travelled very strongly for 5 furlongs at Donnie lto and so the drop back in trip is supposed to suit.

£35ew Spirit of Sound – 5-1 – Newcastle 2.20 loser

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

I have a feeling the maiden won by Strong Steps at Chelmsford a few weeks ago might turn out to be a decent race. The 3rd has already won impressively since and the first two are in action tomorrow. I’ll have a little interest in both.

£25ew Yamlik – 7-1 – 3.50 Goodwood loser
    £30ew Strong Steps – 5-1 – 6.25 Sandown loser

+£157.76

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

So just about keeping my head above water but hoping this weekend I can kick on and get some serious profit! It is a mouthwatering line up this weekend with the best racing obviously happening in Ireland. I have 3 bets today and a slightly left field Ante Post bet.

I love Sole Power and I see he has drifted to 4’s this morning. There are good reasons for this, especially if you read Richard Hughes’ column in the Post today, but I still think he is value in what looks an ordinary field. I know he has never won over 6f but he has run some good races over the distance and he has a genius in the saddle. He has rarely let me down and owes me nothing but I am hoping he can do the business again.

In the Haydock sprint I am a bit late coming in for Hot Streak but I still think he will take the beating with his optimum conditions and a jockey I really like in Oisin Murphy. Finally today Hughesie has been talking up the each way chances of Ivawood and saying how much he has improved since Newmarket. I can’t see him beating the fav but you never know and it doesn’t look a great race if you take the fav out.

My AP bet involves that very same Irish 2,000 Guineas favourite. Every year there is an expectation that Coolmore can produce a horse capable of winning the Derby. This year they don’t seem to have one unless……..Gleneagles has been left in and AOB has stated that he may well run depending on how he goes today. I see Stan James have him at 8’s. That price could well be made to look generous come 3.20 today. I would kick myself if I didn’t back him as I think this horse is pure class. There are obvious stamina doubts – his full sister didn’t seem to stay the distance, but the way he finished the Guineas gives you plenty of cause for optimism.

£35ew Hot Streak – 9-2 – 3.45 Haydock loser
    £50ew Sole Power – 4-1 – 2.45 Curragh loser
    £30ew Ivawood – 6-1 – 3.20 Curragh placed
    £5ew Patent
    £75win Gleneagles – 8-1 – The Derby loser

£47.76

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

ps – wrote Pearl Secret in main write up when obviously I meant Hot Streak as per the bet I put up below. Have edited it before the race anyway.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

With the Weld team flying I’ve had a little bit on Tuk Tuk.

£40ew Tuk Tuk – 7-1 – 4.30 Curragh loser

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

A poor day but still enjoyed some quality racing. Gleneagles did well to win I thought bearing in mind the trouble he found in running and the ground being softer than ideal. He certainly didn’t look like a Derby horse though so my AP bet will almost certainly go up in smoke. Undeterred I am having 2 bets tomorrow.

I think Solow will be a superstar tomorrow and I take him to beat my old friend CDA in what looks like a match. CDA was in great form lto but this is a bit shorter and the ground a bit quicker and I think he will struggle to hold off his younger, quicker rival.

In the Irish 1,000 I expect Found to bounce back but I can’t back her at the prices so have had a tentative ew on a horse with very good form as 2 year old in Jack Naylor who beat Legatissimo on her penultimate start and is good ew value.

£315 win Solow – 10/11 – Prix D’Ipshan winner
    £25ew Jack Naylor – 12-1 – Irish 1,000 placed at 16’s BOG

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 391 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.