The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Jonathan Meades – Off Kilter

Home Forums Lounge Jonathan Meades – Off Kilter

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5628

There’s been some debate recently over on t’main board concerning the standard of journalism nowadays.

For an example of how it should be done I heartily recommend you watch this series of three programmes broadcast recently on BBC4 as part of their Scottish Season, if and when it’s repeated.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8393

I love Jonathan Meades; have, in fact missed the third episode of this series, so hoping to catch it on iplayer. I love the way he looks at the world; as the series is called, it’s off kilter [heck; only just spotted the pun].Do I understand what he’s saying? 90% of the time; no….. but I love the way that he says it! The man is a living treasure.

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

Totally agree Drone. Meades is always trenchantly opinionated (not always correctly in my view, but hey, that’s opinion for you) and often very witty.

His previous “Further Abroad” series was heavily involved in explaining his view of architecture and our surrounding environs more in terms of it’s social impact and place in history rather than as a bricks and mortar analysis. His opinion of “preserve in aspic” organisations such as the National Trust are wilfully mischievous and normally very funny.

Although I feel he is often being provocative for the sake of it, that’s the nature of polemic. At least he gives no quarter in his use of deliberately highbrow language; rare indeed nowadays.

One further thing – his has a superbly reasonant voice and delivery, very easy to listen to.

Mike

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2215

Big big fan. Food architecture politics sport….

Good series on North Europe last year which led me to taking a interesting visit to Hamburg and Lubeck.

Compare and contrast with the deeply boring Martin Clunes going round some islands and getting paid for saying fck all. And Stephen Fry’s nicey nicey trip round america was deadly dull. As if anyone could make america dull for christ sake

And yet in the past, meades brought out fascination with that overly maligned country …Belgium

I particularly enjoyed the third part f this series…but thats because i missed the first two :?

They always repeat his stuff lots though

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Clive, the first two episodes are still available on the Beeb iplayer HERE[/color:35gyy6qe]

Agree with all above, wish he would do more on art tho.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8393

I remember him doing a programme about The Fens years ago, and as he stood talking this boat just cruised past him way above his head; it was so surreal. Can’t quite get used to him being so thin these days, though.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Meades is terrific – I enjoy his shows hugely, and his short stories and novels even more.

Filthy English

and

The Fowler Family Business

are two of the most gleefully horrible books you’ll ever read, and the Amazon reviewer’s description of the former pretty much sums them up perfectly;

"All kinds of sexual practices, deviant and otherwise, are described in great detail and in marvellous prose: the writing is flashy and outstanding; the characterization, even of those playing minor parts, is strikingly well observed. Even at their most appalling, there is a skewed logic to the behaviour of Meades’s characters and often humour and pathos. You will be shocked, you may be outraged, but you will want to read on".

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

tooting
    • Total Posts 379

I sadly missed the programmes but Martin Kelner in the Guardian quoted a bit about Premiership footballers that bears repeating:

"A bespoke cast of gladiatorial yob-gods, wag-roasting, Croesus kids, who once a week descend from their Parnassian bling-steads to run amok for ninety golden minutes of bravura vanity."

Triffic.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8393

Didn’t realise he wrote novels as well; I would imagine something in the mould of Mervyn Peake with a touch of Lemony Snicket.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

"A bespoke cast of gladiatorial yob-gods, wag-roasting, Croesus kids, who once a week descend from their Parnassian bling-steads to run amok for ninety golden minutes of bravura vanity."

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Quality!

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Meades is class – love guys like him who are unashamed of their intellect, in these days of dumbing everything down.

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

Meades is class – love guys like him who are unashamed of their intellect, in these days of dumbing everything down.

Me too; and thus staggered that he is on the Beeb, which seems increasingly wary of anything vaguely intelligent. Shuffled away on BBC4 mind!

Mike

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5628

Agreed. That used to be the case with Stephen Fry but unfortunately he’s become woefully over-exposed and allowed himself to be marketed by the BBC as little more than a cardigan-comfortable avuncular ‘celebrity’ called upon to lend lightweight documentaries an air of pseudo-gravitas.

Still like the guy though and who can really criticise him for dumbing-it-down in order to help himself to a great deal of the easiest of easy money.

Meades is essentially an outsider; prickly, discomforting and difficult with a somewhat alarming countenance that would never endear him to the ‘mainstream’, but capable of the most thought-provoking and sometimes profound words on workaday society. That his programmes bear repeated viewings – and often improve for it – is a mark of their worth.

Didn’t know Methil was home to East Fife FC. Ta Jonathan :)

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I like listening to the man with the coke bottle spectacles – and so does he. :wink:

Mind you, I wouldn’t want to be locked in a room with him, David Starkey, A.A Gill and Brian Sewell, all at the same time.

4 snobs and a Croesus kid ?

The mind boggles.
    :lol:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5628

:lol: very good H

David Starkey is on ‘Question Time’ tonight. Always good for a loquacious let-rip look-down-your-nose laugh

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

I must say I was engrossed by the previously mentioned programmes on North Europe a few months ago.

One has a vision of North Europe being dark and dismal, but Meades filled it full of interesting stuff.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5628

Resurrected this thread because Meades was back the other night after a lengthy absence with a terrific and welcome ravaging of a pet hate of mine and I feel sure of others on TRF

Jonathan Meades on Jargon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09xzsbp/jonathan-meades-on-jargon?suggid=b09xzsbp

A good review here:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/may/27/jonathan-meades-jargon-review

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.