John Smiths Cup 2016

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion John Smiths Cup 2016

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by steeplechasing steeplechasing 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4514

As you know I love big handicaps and as there wasn’t a thread for this I though I would start one.

Okay let me see if I can narrow it down a bit…..

TAWDEEA is currently favourite and I cannot for the life of me see why. It won last time out over 12 furlongs in soft ground and this is 10 furlongs on potentially good to firm ground AND it has a penalty.

ARTHENUS was maybe unlucky to be drawn wide at Ascot BUT the trainer says it likes a bit of cut in the ground AND if you look at the Ascot race REVOLUTIONIST was drawn next door and was stuck wide all the way and still finished in front of it.

SPANISH SQUEEZE Now Hugo Palmer is a good trainer but to win this after only one run this year and only having won a maiden in its life he would have to be a SERIOUSLY good trainer. For me massively underpriced at about 10/1.

CARRY ON DERYCK the big question mark is the trip and that puts me off.

OASIS FANTASY wants further.

ELBERETH is a nice price considering the trainer is in good form but after winning nicely at Epsom last year I feel she maybe lacks the class to win this but will run well.

GOLD TRAIL hasn’t ran since August last year and wants further too!!

EARTH DRUMMER will not get the trip!!!

REVOLUTIONIST has steadily gone up the weights this year through consistency but is drawn in the car park AGAIN!!

EDUCATE I have always been of the opinion that this horse is anine furlong horse and doesn’t genuinely get home over ten furlongs.

WHAT ABOUT CARLO has a good draw but will forfeit that with a slow start.

MIJHAAR ex Godolphin jumper that hasn’t ran since November not for me although some of their ex jumpers have ran well on the flat recently.

OUR CHANNEL best form on the all weather but trainer is in good form

AZRAAF most of tis form is over a mile but looks like it needs further but another one drawn in the car park which is a shame because if it had not been drawn twenty I would be backing this.

MAJEED ran well at Ascot last year and looks like it is a ten furlong horse than three shockers at Metdan. Maybe it didn’t like the surface.One I give a chance to at a decent price.

BIRDMAN ran behind Revolutionist in its only try at ten furlongs and it ran like they were testing the trip for future reference which could be today.

FIRE FIGHTING runs in all these kind of races and never wins.

GABRIELS KAKA ten furlongs no chance!

BELGIAN BILL first run since a not very successful trip to Meydan. This could be a prep race for Goodwood maybe.

TOP NOTCH TONTO has not run in a handicap sine August 2014 and seems to have lost a bit of his zest!

BASEM this is another one that I think has been screaming out for ten furlongs on good ground AND another one that I fancy that is drawn in the car park.

BALTY BOYS ten furlongs ?? I don’t think so.

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4514

My short list of five?? But three of them are drawn in the Car park and if they can get over and get a position then maybe I will have a chance.

AZRAAF
    REVOLUTIONIST
    BASEM
    MAJEED
    BIRDMAN

I fully expect to be shot down on some of my opinions but hey thats what it is all about :good:

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15795

Struggling to side with anything with any conviction Raymo, so I’ll side with Birdman. Like yourself, he caught the eye last time, and he gave me a few quid back in The Lincoln, so happy enough to go with him again.

Doubt I’ll back another, but might add What About Carlo or Belgian Bill at to The Exacta. Tend to agree with you though, and BB probably has Goodwood as #1 target.

GL

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5485

At 14/1 i put up Spanish Squeeze in my thread few days ago he is bet for me

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5939

Cracking write-up Raymo. The only one I’ve bet is REVOLUTIONIST. I bet
    him at 16/1 before the draw (plenty of 14s still available). I’m a bit pig sick
    that he is, as you mentioned, drawn out in the car park. I don’t know if he will
    try and pull in behind them and hope for the breaks, or change on from the front,
    which he can do, but York isn’t the best course for front running, perhaps due to
    the long flat finishing straight.

Anyway, my money is down so not much I can do about it now. Fingers crossed.

Kris
    Kris
    Participant
    • Total Posts 470

this looks quite tough but i’ll try Mijhaar who’s available at 25-1 with some firms offering 5 places

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5939

I’ve added OUR CHANNEL to my bet on REVOLUTIONIST. 22/1 seems too
    big.

steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5709

Educate teaches us all a lesson

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.