The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

John Oaksey National Hunt Chase 2013

Home Forums Archive Topics John Oaksey National Hunt Chase 2013

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

What are your picks in the four miler?

Back In Focus must be one of the most classy horses to run in this race for years. He was a very good novice hurdler, thrashing Court In Motion and several other good ones at Haydock one day. Stamina looks guaranteed and jumps beautifully.

I do want to take him on, but struggling to come up with much to do it with. Many of these have done well in long distance handicaps, but you have to think Back In Focus would have won their races easily given the same handicap tasks.

The best I could do is Hawkes Point, who you could argue has the second best combined level of form and potential in the race. I was worried by how legless he seemed to be at the finish in his last race though.

Back In Focus for the win – I just can’t escape from him.

Blue1878
    Participant
    • Total Posts 179

No sentiment in betting but i think John Oaksey was a super guy so i will have 2 bets in his race – Tofino Bay and David o’Meara’s.
    OK it’s a scattergun shot at Cheltenham but only liars will say when the dust settlesd it was form choosing – John Oaksey lovely man. :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

I’ve had Rose Of The Moon at 40’s. Think the lay of the race is Buddy Balero.

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

If Back In Focus doesn’t win a Gold Cup, he’ll win a Grand National.

It’s a terrible shame he isn’t in the RSA.

It’s as simple as that.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Participant
    • Total Posts 89

I’m with you Young Fella, it’s got to be Back In Focus. THink he’s the class act in the race. However, word of caution, I had a shocker today :(

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2904

Saw Back in Focus win at Listowel back in September by about 360 lengths. Ruby got him jumping from the front that day and a similar jumping performance must put him close again.

Participant
    • Total Posts 650

My biggest worry about Back in Focus is that the ground is nowhere near as soft as I thought it would be. He is the one to beat though as he should gallop forever. Godsmejudge might be good for a place.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

The thing about Back In Focus is that Mullins has a much better record over the Cheltenham fences than Townend, who’s on Boston Bon later. He should stay.

Buddy Balero – doubts about him lasting home.
    Rival D’Estruval – doubts about trainer getting this ready for the festival

Obviously there are doubts everywhere you look but in races like these, i think the previous Cheltenham form of jockey and trainer are more important than the horse.

Rose Of The Moon’s jockey has ridden a winner at Cheltenham but not at the festival. However, i got on at 40’s last week so might trade out near the off.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

:) What a thriller! Back In Focus looks like he’d get about six miles if you asked him to. Maybe a future Welsh National horse?

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

Best novice chaser this year.

Could win ANYTHING over three miles plus.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Have to agree with you there, Fivelongdays. It was incredible to see a Grade 1 winner at 9/4 against a bunch of handicappers and future handicappers.

Blue1878
    Participant
    • Total Posts 179

I’m gutted, backed Tofino Bay and started dancing round my living room a little too early.
    Back In Focus is as tough as nails and Mullins wasn’t lacking any assistance, great race but feeling a little ‘miffed’ is the polite way to put it. :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 2037

I’d backed Rival D’Estruval, partly on account of the jockey; gutted when he came down, had every cahnce

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.