The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

John McCririck

Home Forums Horse Racing John McCririck

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 258 total)
  • Author
    dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I like Big Mac, he is a man of the people and the punters only true friend.

You dont hear any of the charismatic horsey types asking why punters are being systematically ripped off with SP returns, or what happened to the 4 place hcp races .. do you?

No you don’t.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Also one time at Windsor he was interviewing a black actress who was in the Bill i think and asked if she suffered any racism on the course and thankfully she said no.

Did he call her "female"

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

In fairness he was spot-on about New Approach! Try and imagine Tom Lee engaging your interest in a similar way….

• Total Posts 772

Hi dave

"its a bit poor when you have to answer your own questions…."

Sorry mate, you know i have always had a soft patch for you.

byefrom
    carlisle 8)

ps is there an emoticon of a man smoking a pipe…

Avatar photoPeter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 553

Mac does have good qualities.

Once when the BHB did a promo leaflet to get people coming racing he complained because the leaflet only had white people on it and he said that racing is open to anyone of any colour.

Also one time at Windsor he was interviewing a black actress who was in the Bill i think and asked if she suffered any racism on the course and thankfully she said no.

He was on a bit of a crusade at one time to get more coloured people to "come racing".
    I can’t believe that in this day and age there would be any problem if they did but still not too many do.
    Maybe Muslims may be a bit deterred by the link with gambling but it’s not stopping them owning a good chunk of the world’s prime bloodstock.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Any creditably he had left is surely out of the window after his wildly innacurate and completely mis-informed outburst regarding Kelly’s ride on Geordieland.

Discuss

• Total Posts 1415

McCririck is entitled to his opinion.

I don’t agree with him on this one actually but he is well within his right to voice his opinion. Comments like "Any creditably he had left is surely out of the window" are out of order – why, for disagreeing with your view?. He is as entitled to his opinion as you are or anyone else is.

Hawk Wing
    • Total Posts 141

Geordieland wouldn’t have got 15l near yeats he had went when big mac reckoned he should have

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Have to agree with Ian on this.

Big Mac wasn’t the only person to criticise the ride, even the Racing Post report that Kelly came in for criticism after the race (and they weren’t just referring to McCririck). Yet because Mac has the balls to express his opinion live on air he once again comes in for flack.

Whether we agree with him or not (and for the record I think he was wrong) he is fully entitled to his opinion, and based on how Geordieland is usually ridden his opinion far from lost him his credibility in my view.

Mike

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

surely Geordieland needed to be kept behind the other horses for as long as possible; as the first three home were so far ahead of the others what was the jockey to do? takes a brave man to ride Geordieland, and at least he’s managed one win on him.

batman
    • Total Posts 489

on the replays kelly never got in front of yeats so therefore he was still holding him behind yeats albiet a small distance, what was he supposed to do let yeats get 5-6 lengths on him when everyone knows yeats is an out and out galloper??

anyway although big mac is entitled to his view i thought it was a bit OTT comming before Murtagh had even pulled yeats up he could have waited untill all the praises had been sung for Yeats taking into context what he had just done…..

mellington
    Participant
    • Total Posts 21

Geordieland is not good enough to beat yeats what ever ride he gets. Yeats just simply outstayed him. Shane kelly could of done no more than he did. Its a shame therefore that people like big mac and willie carson need to criticise so soon after a brilliant event.

On the subject of geordieland surley one of the big staying handicaps like the ebor might suit him. Usually they go a fast pace and plenty of runners for him to weave through. i cant see him winning the king george might end up like sergeant cecil last year.

• Total Posts 1982

Imagine the uproar if Kelly had left his effort to the last second and gone down by a fast diminishing two lengths. He would have received an even bigger scolding.

The jockey did everything he possibly could to give the horse a chance of winning. He settled him beautifully at the rear before moving him through the field, almost unrecognized, to bring him into contention coming round the final bend. He put Geordieland into the race, but the fact is that he was simply beaten by one of the greatest stayers of all-time.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Riding Geordieland to win a Gold Cup was always going to be a big ask.

It is difficult to see what Kelly could have done differently, he was almost bound to see too much daylight at some point.

Colin

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I thought Kelly could have made the run a shade later, but really it would have made little difference to the result- if you have a horse you need to present on the wire and not before you’ve really got your work cut out running against a big, game galloper like Yeats. I’m disappointed to hear Big Mac (and others) have seen the ride fit to criticise so soon after the race, it really was an inconsequential blip on a truly memorable moment.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Anybody who ‘has the balls’ to voice their opinion leaves themselves open to criticism, but unfortunately McCririck doesn’t understand the meaning of the term reasoned debate. Rather than put his point across, sensibly and with conceivable justification, he immediately vilifies and condemns, almost preaching that what he thinks should be taken as gospel.

Certain subjects suit his brash, Blessed-esque style, but when it is used as a vessel for direct (and unnecessary) criticism – and to satisfy television producers seeking to exploit the ‘controversy factor’ – then it’s not difficult to see why people hold the opinion of him that they do.

Geordieland is a notoriously difficult ride, so getting the horse anywhere near the places in a Group 1 is an achievement in itself, but he’s simply been outclassed by Yeats; I would imagine that there are plenty who would be overjoyed at finishing second to a stayer of the winner’s calibre. And, let’s not forget, he’s beaten the best long distance horse in France decisively.

• Total Posts 190

Not necessarily on topic, but did anyone else notice the two Godolphin horses running on encouragingly at the end? I think the step up to 3m+ would really suit the two of them.

:D

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 258 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.