The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

January 15th…

Home Forums Horse Racing January 15th…

Viewing 11 posts - 18 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I wonder how much Kempton will charge for admittance now?

Hopefully £1, plus any unwanted reindeer/Santa jumpers and cardigans ? :?

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 650

Don’t have a problem with the rearrangement; it’s not ideal but this has been an exceptional cold spell.

Kauto will only have 2 months off but so be it. Most of the others could still run again; be it in the Aon or the Hennessy, and still have a decent gap between races.

Most important that the race in London; biggest danger is obviously another cold snap but that’s in the lap of the Gods..

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Bad news for Kauto Star’s Gold Cup prospects…

This is going to eat into his mid-season break somewhat.

Why exactly does he even need a break? He’ll only be racing 3 or 4 times this season, it won’t hurt the poor wittle thing.

Ha, well the mid-season break is the new trend in jumps racing. Trainers surely would not adopt the tactic unless it had some considerable benefit for championship races. If Imperial Commander, Diamond Harry et al are going to be fresh horses and Kauto Star has a truncated break, it must be a negative for the

poor wittle thing

Participant
    • Total Posts 1657

Bad news for Kauto Star’s Gold Cup prospects…

This is going to eat into his mid-season break somewhat.

Why exactly does he even need a break? He’ll only be racing 3 or 4 times this season, it won’t hurt the poor wittle thing.

Ha, well the mid-season break is the new trend in jumps racing. Trainers surely would not adopt the tactic unless it had some considerable benefit for championship races. If Imperial Commander, Diamond Harry et al are going to be fresh horses and Kauto Star has a truncated break, it must be a negative for the

poor wittle thing

There’s plenty of horses who run better off shorter rest-take the frontmost horse in my avatar, Bubble Economy, who placed in the My Lady’s Manor and then won the Virginia Gold Cup and the Mason Houghland in the span of 4 weeks.

Whether it’s a break of 2 months or 3 months, at a certain point a horse is as rested as he can possibly be. Kauto has little reason to not race in the King George. His 5-peat there is just as important, if not more, than his run at Cheltenham.

stodge
    • Total Posts 92

The annoying thing about this is the inconsistency of approach to the transferring of major races which makes the whole thing farcical.

The Fighting Fifth was moved down south for no other reason that Nicky Henderson wanted the race run. The Tingle Creek, the championship race for two-milers run on a right-hand track, was shamelessly moved to Cheltenham thus ensuring that the two chammipnship races for two-mile chasers are run on the same course thus devaluing the whole concept of the championship pattern.

In other words, consistency is swept aside in the name of short-term commercial expeidency or the lobbying of a powerful trainer.

Frankly, it stinks.

By the way, January 15th is my 50th birthday and I will be at Lingfield.

• Total Posts 661

Crazy, why wait so long? The perfect date would have been next Monday as its another bank holiday and there’s nothing of any consequence happening that day.

I wonder how much Kempton will charge for admittance now?

Why next Monday? Have you checked the weather forecast? :shock:

I’m amazed they’ve even made a new date to be honest. There’s absolutely no sign of this cold weather easing up, in fact I watched somethig on TV the other day that suggested January is going to be even colder than December :shock:

Participant
    • Total Posts 589

While the blame has been firmly laid at William (please bet on Football, please!!!!) Hill for the switch to Jan 15, I think part of the reason not not arranging the King George (and for that matter the Welsh National) elsewhere is that there is no Levy Board war chest* to cover the additional costs involved of reloacting big races.

* Probably used up for Nic Coward’s leaving present!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’m amazed they’ve even made a new date to be honest. There’s absolutely no sign of this cold weather easing up, in fact I watched somethig on TV the other day that suggested January is going to be even colder than December

From the official Met Office site:

UK Outlook for Tuesday 11 Jan 2011 to Tuesday 25 Jan 2011:

The weather looks set to remain rather cold for much of this period, with nighttime frosts quite likely and temperatures probably a bit below normal, though brief milder interludes are possible particularly in the south and west.

Nothing much to worry about, by the sound of it.

sovies friend
    Participant
    • Total Posts 71

Course & distance = King George.

Yes it’s annoying having to wait an extra 2 weeks & boxing day was VERY boring.

What we need is a true King George for Kauto to make history.

Otherwise it’s Istabraq & the champion hurdle all over again.

Participant
    • Total Posts 432

The 15th is great for me from a selfish point of view

Can never go on Boxing Day as is one of my son’s birthday who always chooses to watch Reading instead (4-1 win this year :D )

No such problem with the new date & will be there with a bit of luck

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

The BHA really do need to get their act together on this one, for goodness sake. It clashes directly with the opening day of the point to point season in the South East.

You are welcome to Kempton, I am going to Bimbury Meadows near Detling. It will be cheaper, less crowded and more fun, though the downside is that Detling is a cold place at the best of times, but in mid-January!!!! A case of Micheline Man goes point to pointing.

Anyone else coming with me. There is a bus to the track from Maidstone. I’ll let you know the best times when I know the first race time.

Viewing 11 posts - 18 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.