The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

ITV – your dream presentation team

Home Forums Horse Racing ITV – your dream presentation team

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 306 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3439

Yeats – money isn’t the main driver for everyone.

I know that Paul but I’d had a good bet with CrustyPatch that Hunty would be ITV’s main commentator. It’s very disappointing :negative:

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

I wonder if the ITV commentator will be someone who is not on the current commentators roster and will also be used for other sports ?
    If Hunt was offered the job it means that Holt and Hoiles were not wanted.

Can’t imagine Clive Tyldesley coming “under starters orders” but bearing in mind John Hunt’s quite “boombastic” commentary style which suits Radio well – compared to say the measured tones of Richard Hoiles – I’m going to take a punt that plan B may be someone like Mark “Shouty” Johnson.

Caveat – this is not based on any reported rumour – just a pure guess – so I’m probably completely wrong! :wacko:

Mark Johnston spends a lot of his time lauding it up in America so no way he will commit to what itv want unless its a share.

I would bet on Gareth Topham if he prepared to put in the travelling and time needed as he is based in Leeds he is central to go north, south, east or west.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 921

Yeats – money isn’t the main driver for everyone.

I know that Paul but I’d had a good bet with CrustyPatch that Hunty would be ITV’s main commentator. It’s very disappointing :negative:

I think John Hunt would have been excellent for the job, I have to say, but he has done absolutely the right thing in putting his BBC commitments and future opportunities first. Very shrewd move.

He will still have his racecourse commentary opportunities and will be in a strong position if there is a next time. Nice to see that someone shows loyalty to an existing employer these days.

Clare Balding did the right thing in rationing her Channel 4 appearances to a few prestige meetings this year and has reaped the reward in her BBC work on other sports, including the Olympics, and of course the Paralympics on Channel 4.

I’m surprised you weren’t drafted in, Yeats, to be on the interviewing panel for luring John Hunt (or at the very least a very highly paid consultant).

Mark Johnson would have been good but his American-influenced style at the end of races gets a bit tiresome. Young shaver Gareth Topham would be excellent.

Simon Holt may be deemed a bit too languid these days, excellent though he is, but I just hope Richard Hoiles doesn’t profit from John Hunt’s absence. No doubt he might.

After hearing Mogadon Man Martin Harris make very little effort again at Worcester recently, at least anyone trying to improve viewing figures will know to steer clear of him. 🙂

Blue1878
    Participant
    • Total Posts 179

Lat Sunday on RUK a big German race had an English commentator i’d never heard before and it was hilarious, he got the horse names and colours totally wrong but apologised along with err and umm and all this mid race and when it ended i thought Angus McNae would say something but just carried on stonefaced, it was hilarious so i just hope this race caller never hits our primetime races.
    Did any other RF members see this ?, i had tears rolling for many minutes.

The Insider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4

One of the ITV runners is Aussie Jim

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

One consolation for ITV is that ATR continue to set the bar very low.

As usual on a Sunday there is a clash and this time it was was involving two big races.

Over the afternoon they lost pictures and then had a horrible buzzing noise come in over the commentary in another big race drowning it out and making it impossible not to mute the sound.

What a crew :wacko:

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

Perhaps Mr Hunt doesn’t see racing having much of a future on terrestrial, will BBC or 4 want it back if ITV cock it up/ it doesn’t prove popular? His BBC radio work seems to be well received and that will always be there.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9224

The big race clash can hardly be blamed on ATR Steve and the weather was causing issues from the Curragh. I like ATR.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

On the subject of ATR, does anyone know why they still haven’t switched to high definition? Is it merely an economic decision?

Participant
    • Total Posts 3439

On the subject of ATR, does anyone know why they still haven’t switched to high definition? Is it merely an economic decision?

They’ve been doing tests recently regards it apparently, so it could be coming “soon”.

The coverage from the big meeting at the Curragh on Sunday was poor, a bit of wind brought a halt to proceedings. In this day and age surely they should be able to do better than that?

Regards the ITV commentaors job can’t see Gareth Topham getting it, he’s too inexperienced. Alan Howes has the experience and he’s certainly good enough but will they want a bigger name?

I was thinking the same regards Mark Johnson as an earlier poster, he’s got the ability, can raise the decibels and none are more accurate.

At the end of the day though it will all be down to who Mike Dillon & Co fancy.

Participant
    • Total Posts 525

I think ATR is absolutely awful for raceday coverage. There is never any atmosphere, the presenters are largely shocking and it looks like a bunch of mates have just decided to put a production together. Their coverage is boring!

RUK’s raceday coverage is a million times more professional, more interesting and overall better.

ATR have better feature programmes though i.e. Ask The Handicapper, Sunday Forum. RUK need to step up here. This Racing Life and its hundred subsequent repeats doesn’t do it for me and The Verdict with Willoughby is a hard watch.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

I think ATR is absolutely awful for raceday coverage. There is never any atmosphere, the presenters are largely shocking and it looks like a bunch of mates have just decided to put a production together. Their coverage is boring!

RUK’s raceday coverage is a million times more professional, more interesting and overall better.

ATR have better feature programmes though i.e. Ask The Handicapper, Sunday Forum. RUK need to step up here. This Racing Life and its hundred subsequent repeats doesn’t do it for me and The Verdict with Willoughby is a hard watch.

Racing UK interesting?????? :unsure:

Peter Norton zzzzzzzzzzz, Stewart Machin zzzzzzz Mark Howard zzzzzzzzzz and I could go on, interesting indeed.

Participant
    • Total Posts 192

Was never the same after the Ocean finance adverts stopped.

Blue1878
    Participant
    • Total Posts 179

Some on here slating ATR and bumping RUK ? my experience is totally the opposite, i think the presentation of ATR is great (except for Zoe the ex.), Matt Chappman is a stellar star but the RUK team are poor by comparison in my humble working class opinion and i watch both every day.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

One of the ITV runners is Aussie Jim

Oh please no his time has come and gone, might as well bring back Julian Wilson and Jimmy Lindlay in that case

The Insider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4

Matt Chapman is in

Participant
    • Total Posts 3439

Matt Chapman is in

What about Croc?

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 306 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.