The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Istabraq Shocker

Home Forums Archive Topics Istabraq Shocker

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

Cashmans have said they are prepared to lay Istabraq at 5/2 to lose £50,000.

conall
    • Total Posts 59

Aidan – the phrase in his box refers to an animal who hasn’t worked not one that has actually stayed in his box

Slippy Blue
    • Total Posts 43

Landing Light will win the Champion Hurdle.

You know it makes sense.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

MorgansHarbour
    • Total Posts 104

wasnt the plan to leave him "in his box" for w ahile before being preparing him for the champion. Then again, there are many here who would do a better jon than aidan o’ brien – with the same resources of course.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

I am well aware of that conall.Presumably they were walking him out then…………………..for these 11 days.Even counting that a horse wouldnt go straight to a gallop after that!!!<br>                    Final question to everyone then………………………..Is Aidan O’Brien purposely lying to everyone when he has repeatidly said the horse is very well? Yes or no……………..its that simple.

prince regent
    • Total Posts 221

<br>i would doubt very much if aob is lying and most of these rumours  are probably   missing the mark  i believe isty will turn up  on the day and will probably run a good race  but i believe  that he will finsih 2nd to landing light

nore
    • Total Posts 151

Quote: from MorgansHarbour on 8:44 am on Feb. 11, 2002[br]Then again, there are many here who would do a better job than aidan o’ brien – with the same resources of course. <br>

<br>You’re bringing out the nationalist in me now, MorgansHarbour!<br>There has been oil money behind the top British trainers for the past twenty years and noone has a record that comes within a street of what O’Brien has achieved over the past five years (particularly the past season)! He is quite simply a genius and will go on rewriting the record books for many years to come.<br>

MorgansHarbour
    • Total Posts 104

said tongue in cheek, Nore. There are many "here" refers to this forum.

nore
    • Total Posts 151

oops, sorry, MorgansHarbour, I went a bit mental there!

elderberry
    • Total Posts 22

Cashmans have cut Istabraq to 2/1 after having him at 5/2 over the weekend.  I should have backed him at that price but I will wait until nearer the race (about a week prior) before I back him. I’ll be lucky to get 7/4 then but even so it would be a great price.  Ned Kelly and Landing Light are the only dangers (forget Valiramix) but there’ll be no stopping the great one on the day.  <br>Could somebody start another rumour around the first week of March so I might be able to get a longer price! <br>                              :wollyhat:

johnny boy
    • Total Posts 30

I’d be surprised if you had to wait until March for the next Istabraq scare story Elderberry. <br>I still think he’ll be available at 2/1 or bigger on course if he gets to the race though.

MorgansHarbour
    • Total Posts 104

he did well to find pickled eggs in tipperary!!!:biggrin:

elderberry
    • Total Posts 22

Nice one Kathy.  I doubt he picked up any fillies though.  After all he is a gelding.

johnny boy<br>not a chance you’ll get 2/1 on the day.  If he turns up fit and well on March 12th the Irish (and a few brits too I suspect) will relish the chance to get stuck into him at odds against.  He’ll go off at 6/4 or shorter.    

THE ROOK
    • Total Posts 21

I’m not in the bit least interested in starting another scare story, however I read what Aidan and Kathy said with interest.

Having looked at the recent press quotes from the yard/trainer/jockey, I personally think its more a case of what isnt being asked that bothers me, rather than what is/isnt being said.

I’m not going to disagree with those who believe that Aiden O’Brien is from the top drawer, however he is the same trainer who if you believe the story took Istabraq, clearly unfit to Leopardstown in December 2000 on raceable ground, which resulted in a fall that nine times out often ends in fatality….

a huge mistake.

In October/November 2001, he is on record as stating that horse had been for two three months and was being prepared for the Leopardstown race, and that he was further forward than he was last year …. This was retracted after the race partially with a statemnet that he was "half fit" …. both of those can’t be true. I personally thought he was straighter than last year, and  I think connections were allowed to get away with this as if his prep had been delayed, fair enough, but we werent told because it wasnt a great effort whichever side of the fence you sit on.  

I also note how little practise there appears to be between Charlie Swan and the horse, who clearly were once as one, but look shaky at their obstacles. Its an obviously flaw and I am suprised that Charlie Swan has stated that he hasnt ridden the horse since Leopardstown, it isnt clear whether the horse has been schooled since then, I’d be amazed if he hasnt, however it clearly hasnt been by Swan.

This seems odd to me.  There is clearly a difference of opinion happening, and rather than have one run, surely two or three (as been the norm before) would have made more sense.

The stable say he has been become "more difficult", but even so….

I bet Richard Guest rides Lord Noelie more than twice before the Gold Cup!!!.

Again I’m not saying the horse has an injury … however whilst I’ll applaud it if it works there is no evidence that this preparation suits the horse, and in my opinion is totally wrong, if the horse is 100% sound.

That, plus the lack of evidence to suggest he is as good as ever (I agree with those who feel his forms suggest he has been in decline for a while) is enough to erode any supposedly supremacy.

Aidan
    • Total Posts 1198

Wouldnt worry about Swan not riding the horse out in Ballydoyle(although he did before xmas).It is the usual for O’Brien I seem to remember Kinane saying he was never allowed on Galileo at Ballydoyle once the season got going.<br>            

robgomm
    • Total Posts 224

Thanks Rook, nice to see someone else point out that Swan and Isty aren’t exactly "as one" anymore.

Swan is (i feel) the problem (as i’ve said before). I think he’s getting a little nervous. Istabraq seems fine to me. I think Swan is just starting to get a little shaky on the horse and nervy.

Colin Little
    • Total Posts 338

It’s on record how buzzy & close to the edge Isty can get when fully wound up, maybe AOB is just a bit nervous about bringing him to that peak. They certainly wouldn’t want him at that level until as close to CH day as possible. I don’t think we can read anything into it at the moment. The day of judgment will come when they start to try & put some serious work into him.

I got the time to re-read Micheal Clower’s book "The Legend of Istabraq" a few weeks ago. Worth a read if you haven’t done so already, some poignant passages in there about John Durkan, some nice colour pics as well. I’m loathe to say buy it, because I assume it will be updated when the great one retires. Maybe try & borrow it!

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.