The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Istabraq – Ireland’s favourite horse of the last 25 years

Home Forums Horse Racing Istabraq – Ireland’s favourite horse of the last 25 years

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

http://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/2009/0727/istabraq.html

Istabraq wins support from the public
    Monday, 27 July 2009 15:49
    Istrabraq has been announced as Ireland’s favourite horse of the last 25 years, as voted for by the Irish public.

The three-times Cheltenham Champion Hurdle winner beat off stiff completion from Dawn Run, Moscow Flyer, Danoli, Vintage Crop and Limestone Lad to win the hotly contested title, as part of The Big Horse Painting competition.

As the winner of The Big Horse Painting Competition, over the coming ten months Istrabraq, the son of Sadler’s Wells, will be painted by artist Nicola Russell on a giant canvas measuring 16 feet by 11 feet. When completed, Ireland’s largest ever horse painting will be gifted to the Irish State.

Commenting on the great affection the public holds for Istrabraq, owner JP McManus said: ‘I am absolutely delighted that Istabraq has won. These are six wonderful horses and any one of them would be a worthy choice for The Big Horse Painting.

‘I suppose it is only natural that Istabraq holds a special place in my affections. I was always bowled over by how the Irish people took him to their hearts, and their support and affection for him during his glory days.

‘In a way Istabraq belongs to everybody. He is still in fine form and enjoying his well deserved retirement.’

Surprised he beat Dawn Run and Danoli in particular. Witnessing Istabraq’s third Champion Hurdle was special but I don’t think anything I’ve ever experienced in racing came close to the reception Danoli received when winning the Hennessy at Leopardstown in ’97. The place went beserk.

Added a poll to vote for your favourite Irish trained horse of the last 25 years.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Impossible to choose between Moscow Flyer, Beef Or Salmon, Limestone Lad and Dorans Pride (though Moscow Flyer was the best animal on the list, so voted for him).

johnt4124
    • Total Posts 36

Dawn Run as the only horse to win the Gold Cup and Champion Hurdle.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

I made sure I was at Cheltenham to see Istabraq win his third Champion Hurdle, but I felt far more emotion at Punchestown seeing Moscow Flyer run his last race. I’ll never forget the day that Moscow beat Istabraq when the latter fell at the last fence, and everyone thought it was a fluke. When we went to buy our tickets at Punchestown the day before the race I was just wandering around like a complete eejit telling everyone I was going to see Moscow. I was so excited.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Moscow Flyer for me without question.

Seeing him soar over Aintree was a real joy and something which makes the entry fee worth every penny, For me one of the best Chasers i will ever see.

P.S. Why has Native Upmanship been excluded from the list?

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

He was there that day at Punchestown as well; a truly magical afternoons racing [wrong result, though!].

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

What about Yeats?

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

Don’t think flat horses are ever afforded the same public affection that National Hunt horses are, particularly in Ireland.

Native Upmanship could have been included but I don’t think he was any more popular than any of the horses on the list.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Istabraq ! 8)

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Burroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

They’re all tremendous gutsy horses, all heart, but I went with instinct and voted for Hardy Eustace. It’s just a personal thing, but he’s caused me more emotional, happy tears than any of the others, with Beef or Salmon coming in a close second.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Don’t think flat horses are ever afforded the same public affection that National Hunt horses are, particularly in Ireland.

I know, but I still think he should be on the list!

Zorro
    • Total Posts 472

These are all just jumping horses. :( :(
    Where’s High Chaparral?

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Where’s Deep Impact? :wink:

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

These are all just jumping horses. :( :(

Where’s High Chaparral?

At Coolmore Stud in Tipperary I’d presume :wink:

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1921

Very difficult call between Moscow & Limestone with slight preference for the latter.

Was lucky enough to see Brave Inca’s Irish Champion Hurdle victory earlier in the year and that was pretty special.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Shes Our Mare, winner of a Swinton Hurdle and Cambridgshire.

Galway week and the legend that is Ansar is not included.

befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1506

all great horses, but Dawn Run was the greatest, proably sufferes beacuse its so long ago now
    only horse to do the CHGC double; i
    GC in record time as well, despite being a novice and still a modest jumper and able to then beat a great 2-mile champion Buckhouse over his favourite trip
    winner of irish/english and french CHs in one years.
    i was ther on the day of her GC win and it was an incredible occasion

I was also at Danolis Hennessy victory; brilliant but not at the same level

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.