The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Is this site in its death throes?

Home Forums Horse Racing Is this site in its death throes?

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 166 total)
  • Author
    Avatar photoPeter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 553

Hi all

Just want to give my story of why I rarely post here these days.
    It’s mainly due to the fact that I changed jobs a while ago and rarely watch racing “live” on course or on TV and usually see it a couple of days after the event and to come on here would spoil the results of most of them big races for me.

Good luck for the forum to do an Irving and rise from looking like a dead ‘un to showing the opposition a clean pair of heels.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

I love this site, and visit it pretty much daily – although I don’t post myself. I have been a NH racing fan for as long as I can remember, but like to keep up-to-date on what is going on under both codes. I don’t use Twitter or Facebook, and mourn the passing of many good forums that have died the death since everyone seems to prefer to correspond via other media. As has been said already, the tone on TRF is generally much more tolerant than elsewhere, and there are some genuinely knowledgeable posters from whom I learn much…

What whippetlady said.

Furthermore, I have twice as many posts as she has so my opinion should carry twice as much weight.

droffats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 608

I don’t think it is in it’s death throes at all.
    Unfortunately I don’t always have the time to post but do read the posts every day when possible. Sometimes there are days when there is nothing worth posting as the racing to my mind is poor and nothing really happens.

Nausered
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 593

Well it does rather need some livening up really, doesn’t it? Fear not girls/ladies, Nausered is here now, it will all be alright on the night.

Now that the silly flat season is over and done with, the real racing can start.

Nausered will see you alright girls, don’t you worry about that.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6123

Hi all

Just want to give my story of why I rarely post here these days.
    It’s mainly due to the fact that I changed jobs a while ago and rarely watch racing “live” on course or on TV and usually see it a couple of days after the event and to come on here would spoil the results of most of them big races for me.

Good luck for the forum to do an Irving and rise from looking like a dead ‘un to showing the opposition a clean pair of heels.

Wasn’t it Mr Poston who used to have a handicapper called Pigeon Toes?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 182

Well it does rather need some livening up really, doesn’t it? Fear not girls/ladies, Nausered is here now, it will all be alright on the night.

Now that the silly flat season is over and done with, the real racing can start.

Nausered will see you alright girls, don’t you worry about that.

I thought fatty Lake for a moment, but your grammar and syntax are too good for you to be that idiot. You’ve been here before though and I’m now on the case 😉

Blocked
    • Total Posts 182

blueblazes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1

No one has mentioned the real reason the forum is in decline.
    I was a member a few years ago but I stopped posting because of the stance Cormack took on the whip debate. He upset a lot of people with his views and from memory he banned Pinza because he held a different opinion. Pinza was one of the best posters at that time.Quite a few others left at the same time and it has not been the same since.
    Cormack is entitled to express an opinion on the whip issue but it became a crusade with him and he did not like people opposing his views.
    To call it the home of intelligent horse racing discussion is laughable. If you want intelligent racing discussion there are many better forums on the net.
    I tried to login under my old credentials but they no longer work.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I tried to login under my old credentials but they no longer work.

Wonder what old credentials they were then ‘Blue’??
    Corm only contributed to the whip thread against the whip what myself and a couple of others contributed for it.I liked that debate it got heated,my sort of thread that. :good:

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9199

I’ll stand by my whip views, which I retain. As for Pinza, hundreds have disagreed with me on a variety of topics (including many others on that same topic). He is one of a very very few banned since I took over and his banning was nothing to do with his opposing my views on the whip. I think those who follow my posts or know me would know banning someone because they disagree with me is not my style.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Any views on some of the other input on this thread, David?

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

Worth checking if the poll works properly.
    I did one for the poem comp results but didn’t think it had a cut off point.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Oasisdreamer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 305

I had login problems when the site transitioned to the “new” version. It was a bit frustrating when my login details wouldn’t allow me access to the forum so I looked in for the last 6 months or so. Perhaps a few others were in the same boat. It only takes a few to refrain from posting and traffic disappears from the site fairly rapidly.

It’s a decent forum with knowledgeable folks across all aspects of the sport.

Yes there is intelligent (and sometimes less intelligent) debate. One aspect I’ve never liked is those contributors that copy and paste another individual’s post and dissect it paragraph by paragraph (sometimes word by word). Say what you’ve got to say on a subject…then move on.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9199

Cav, some great points raised. I’ll do a full length reply over the weekend to respond to everything raised but definitely lots of food for thought. My basic view is that it needs an injection of some energy from me and some condensing/simplifying. But will post a fuller reply.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9199

Thanks for the messages of support and the suggestions for improvement, all gratefully received.

I love this site and have done since I first stumbled upon it over a dozen years ago. I’ve tried to keep it going in a manner of which I always hoped daylight would have (more or less) approved of.

This last year is the first year I’ve felt I’ve personally not given it the time it deserves for a variety of reasons. However I am able to up the time I devote to it a little now so will get ‘back on the case’. I think most of the criticism is justified and I’d like to outline a few responses/ideas/actions blow.

In no particular order…

Moderation – I think we are one of the best moderated sites I know. This is very largely down to Matron who does (and has done for many years) a brilliant job, unpaid and with very little by way of thanks from me. Hopefully he knows how much I appreciate his efforts. Spam occasionally gets through and, on what is a site run on a voluntary basis, I think is dealt with pretty efficiently. There is a bit of a dilemma between making registration too onerous and off-putting and having to accept the odd spammer will get on. I think we’re not in too bad a place on that.

Streamlining – Agree that things could do with being a bit trimmed down on the busy menu. I’ve started work on that.

Home page – yes, some of the links are old, agreed. New one up tonight. I rely on contributors sending these on to me and we also occasionally post ones with paid links in to help us pay the bills. I’ll try to make sure these are kept fresher as I agree they give a dated/neglected feel.

Comps, etc – I very much agree with Triptych’s comments that more could be done to promote the various competitions. These are popular and when I do post links on TRF’s twitter or FB pages to these they do get a response so, again, I’ll work harder on that.

Polls – Nathan, I’ll check the polls function and get back to you.

Logins – I think a lot of people found it hard to login after the switch. All who’ve contacted me have been sorted out but I am sure we lost some people through frustration. Hopefully registering and logging on is trouble free for everyone now.

So, in summary, quite a few great ideas there from you for improvement which I’ll work on and also I’d like to say thanks to Joe, this little kick in the belly has had the desired effect and spurred a few, me included, into life.

Finally, yes, I remember Gerald….. :mail:

Participant
    • Total Posts 31534

Finally, yes, I remember Gerald….. :mail:

Gerald is alive and well and living in Australia – well not exactly… Lives in Kent, but a prolific poster on an Australian forum I occasionally get on.

Value Is Everything
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 182

Gerald was a strange brew, but a prolific poster who seemed like a nice enough guy.

Would be good if some of the Industry boys returned, always worth a read. TDK, Rory, Simon R, Smithy, Mounty, JEZZA, Glenn and others.

Edit to include Paul Haigh – Last heard of working in Hong Kong. People who have been on here a while will remember a very long Paul Haigh thread with fondness.

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 166 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.