The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Is there a god?

Home Forums Lounge Is there a god?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

A little light topic for lounge lurkers to ponder.

The Market Man
    • Total Posts 396

No to both in my opinion. All ancient myth!

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Yes .. there is a God.

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

I’m here DJ !

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

…well he’d be entitled to be, wouldn’t he? So much power, so little to learn…..

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8799

depends on what you mean by ‘life’. If you define ‘life’ as including a conscious self awareness of your own existence then, no. If, however, you define ‘life’ as the ongoing prescence of ‘your’ energy within the universe then yes, absolutely, that is an indisputable physical law.  

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5124

God = Universe = Nature

We are all (animate/inanimate) part of this God and this God is part of us.

Benedict Spinoza:<br>"God: otherwise Nature. Nothing exists but God. God is one, that is, only one substance can be granted  to exist in the universe…whatsoever is, is in God, and without God nothing can be, or be conceived"

Walt Whitman:<br>"I hear and behold God in every object…why should I wish to see God better than this day? I see something of God each hour of the twenty four, and each moment then. In the faces of men and women I see God, and in my own face in the glass"

Ralph Waldo Emerson:<br>"In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life – no disgrace, no calamity which nature cannot repair. Standing on the bare ground – my head bathed by the blithe air and uplifted into infinite space – all mean egotism vanishes. I become a transparent eye-ball; I am nothing! I see all; the currents of the Universal Being circulate through me; I am part or parcel of God"

Right on. The meaning of life?…no idea but it sure is good

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Grasshopper  Posted on 9:09 am on Nov. 24, 2006<br>If there is, he’s a bit of a w*nker.

<br>.. not true, indifferent to Man’s plight, IMO.

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Thank’s for putting this thread up, Insomniac.

Always wanted to write about Pascals Gambit on the forum as we are all gamblers.:biggrin:  

Top French philosopher Blaise Pascal, (a student of Game Theory), argued that it is a shrewd decision to believe in God because the expected value of believing that God exists, (i.e. entry into Heaven) is always greater than the expected value resulting from non-belief, (i.e descent into the fires of Hell).

In other words, a wonderful bet to nothing.;)

Cheers

Max

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

This guy Pascal sounds like another Eric Cantona;)  

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Drone, would you happen to be a Pantheist, perchance? The quotes listed seem consistent with such thought as far as I understand it….

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I’m a big fan of Pascal Max .. him and those that discovered the universal constants.

GH, the notion of that God might be useful is quite a modern one I think.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5124

Quote: from graysonscolumn on 5:06 pm on Nov. 24, 2006[br]Drone, would you happen to be a Pantheist, perchance? The quotes listed seem consistent with such thought as far as I understand it….

Yes, specifically a wishy-washy, undogmatic, non-commital belief in Naturalistic Pantheism.

Goes some way to satisfying those not infrequent idle moments spent pondering the Big Question: ‘what’s it all about then’

If belief in a deity equates to spiritual uplift, a sense of belonging and peace of mind then the great outdoors; the natural world; earth, wind and fire; and the night sky certainly evoke those emotions in me and always have done.

Illicit alkaloids were once the quick fix; pantheism the answer (sort of)

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

.. quality Blake Drone.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Sadly, I think there’s no such thing as god, and whilst it’s nice, even comforting to think of some kind of existence after we kick the bucket, I fear that’s just wishful thinking.<br>The "one-ness" with nature and the universe angle is nice but even deep thinkers / philosophers can over-egg the pudding. Just because many things in nature and the universe are amazing doesn’tmean they  have any great spiritual significance.<br>The belief by the main Christian religions that god made us in his own image always seemed deeply flawed to me. If there is a god and he was omnipotent maker and master of everything, why would he need kidneys, toenails or eyelashes?<br>Another sham Christian line my teachers used to spin was that "god moved in mysterious ways" whenever the idea of a benevolent, loving Christ was questioned in relation to wars, famine, crime and natural disasters.<br>Unfortunately, as much as I’d like there to be an afterlife with a forgiving creator, it’s all just a human "comfort blanket".  

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.