The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Is there a god?

Home Forums Lounge Is there a god?

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

The chances of the universe being created by one individual are extremely remote but the big bang theory and the time theory ( that states that the past, present and future all exist as one – so the future already exists ) does suggest the possibility that the universe or universes were created deliberately. It is possible that another life source in another dimension created the universe.

There is also quantum mechanics to consider which states that there may be millions, billions, and in fact, an infinite number of "alternate" universes. In each of these other universes lives another you leading a full and very real life, just like your own life. Some of these other universes are very close to our own, and are almost identical, except for minor differences.  

I have an open mind about how the universe was created but I think that it was probably created deliberately and there will be life after death.

Sailing Shoes
    • Total Posts 368

Quote: from Racing Daily on 5:57 pm on Nov. 25, 2006[br] But I can’t believe that it was done in seven days by a guy with a big beard and tangled hair.

Neither can I RD, but I don’t believe that to be the genuine consensus or one that has even been put up before… 😉 😮

Factorman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 391

Interesting discussion, has anyone here read the Bible?<br>It certainly isn’t all happy clappy smiling faces, some of the stuff in their can make your hair curl.

I haven’t come across a page in the Bible where it says God will sort everything for us in this life, infact it paints a pretty accurate picture of life not only 2000 years ago but life today with all its problems.<br>Read it like a form book, i’ve found it has pointed me in the right direction regarding life and how to live on many an occasion.<br>Given half the chance its a gripping read.

Regards<br>Factorman

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Factorman  Posted on 7:47 pm on Nov. 27, 2006<br>Interesting discussion, has anyone here read the Bible?

<br>Yes, have you Factorman ?

I think God and the symbology of God is a bit confused, at this time in our human existence. The way we live in the West shields us from the part of life that makes us believe .. death. Its all very clinical and remote for us.

No-one has ever seen God and God has not manifest himself on Earth since the time of the Old Testament. The idea of the creation is a symbolic one, as is the notion that God is a man.

We Christians are very much in the minority when it comes to not believing in God. I think we will be proved wrong.

Factorman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 391

I’m still reading it DJ, 20 years on, I think GOD did manifest himself in the person of his son Jesus "he that has seen me has seen the Father".

Regarding creation, I believe that that is the way God has chosen to show us, if the creation is believed to be symbolic/fable we start to cut out chunks of the Bible that don’t seem to fit. Man made from Dust? surely not!<br>Much has to be taken of Faith, but even from Genesis the promise of the messiah was there, in a nutshell the scritures would have us look forward to what is to come rather than looking back.

Jesus said…..If a man love me, he will keep my words:and my Father will love him,and we will come to him, and make our abode with him.

It doesn’t promise an easy life but rather quides us to the gritty underbelly of what living a full life, come what may is all about.<br> Yes,as the Western world (by and large) moves away from God so death is ever more feared.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Your a believer then Factorman ?

Factorman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 391

Yep DJ there is a God:)

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I believe also.

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4592

there is there is

:old:

tooting
    • Total Posts 379

"Not only is there no God, try getting a plumber on weekends."

or

"Eternity lasts a very long time, especially towards the end."

<br>Woody Allen.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Quote: from Factorman on 7:47 pm on Nov. 27, 2006[br]Interesting discussion, has anyone here read the Bible?<br>

<br>"Yes. He dies in the end.

Hope that doesn’t spoil it too much for you."

– Caroline Aherne as Sister Mary Immaculate, ca. 1990.

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

Toots.

Want a plumber at the weekend?

Pick up the Yellow pages me old mucker.

The Polish version you so want is in the shops now.:biggrin:

Oh how you make me laugh!

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

I have a loose belief in God and life after death, but I rarely discuss my beliefs – only when asked. Religion causes enough trouble as it is!

Of course no one knows for sure and everyone has their own experiences. However I’m an idealist so it’s a nice thought, this heaven business. I’d like to think that’s where poor Barbaro is (I think animals should get a bit of life after death too!)

I believe everything has a reason behind it, although there’s no way of knowing what the reason is each time…but some things in life do appear to be part of some game or master-plan.

Swallow Cottage’s contribution was interesting – it’s the sort of stuff that when I start contemplating, I get a headache trying to figure it all out!

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4592

Oh ! :old: I’m asking

Strangely enough I considered you flying more on the secularist – wear a hood – mumbojumbo, chant ridden, type of beliefs. There’s no Diane in Grimes of course, but G’s is a modernist and doesn’t cover all of the old testy.

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4592

Quote: from Meshaheer…. I’d like to think that’s where poor Barbaro is (I think animals should get a bit of life after death too!)<br>

Nearest is Barbarus the murderer who gets a mensch!

:old: Equus verses

– the 39th chapter of the book of Job give particualar reference to the clippetty (traditional version)

hast thou given the horse strength<br>      hast thou clothed his neck with thunder<br>      Canst thou make him as afraid as a grasshopper?<br>      The glory of his nostrils is terrible<br>      he paweth in he valley<br>      to encroach upon the lamb of God<br>      who ditributes peace to all those who seek it with vigour

Well, the traditionalist versions are finely written<br>   with the austerity  and in good keeping and<br>    tune with the simple life and preachings<br>    of St Francis of Assissi who loved animals.<br>    <br>    But personally, <br>    to the accompaniment of a steamy late night cocoa<br>    I like to get my teeth in Grimes<br>    it’s modernist<br>    choc full of simplistic drama<br>    shock and spilled awe.

The horse is an animal with extremely sensitive ears.<br>      A burden beast whose mighy yolk spreads wider than the<br>      the largest moon rays on earth<br>      Beware the ass !

It was at this point I watched my cocoa <br>       visibly tremble on its saucer

Factorman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 391

Gamble

I’ve not heard of Grimes Before, I read the NIV and use the AV for study, the AV being so very useful for going back to the original Hebrew and Greek meaning for words.

To the general topic of Is there a GOD, the Bible states that "All scripture is God breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work"  NIV<br>2nd book of Timothy 3 v 16

The Bible does not state this as theory but fact, it must be judged on this claim.

To those that state religion as the cause of many a war and acts of evil, I would say a whip, by itself can cause no harm, it cannot move unless it is picked up, it is in the grip of the person who decides whether to use it for good or ill.<br>

Seven Towers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 608

A whip can cause no harm if it isn’t picked up and religion can do no harm if people don’t believe in it, it is a human construct and without humans there is nothing left.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.